Bronze 5, 4 times in a row: Any tips?

Yes it should. Midpoint placements minimize the trajectory times for the most number of people. You want to minimize disruption not maximize the “grind/progression”. Rank labels are supposed to be correct, not made up. A reset to the middle is promised to be best-possible using Virial Theorem. A reset that squishes what is suppose to be a bell curve down towards one of the boundaries but not the other will obviously favour the free boundary end (the high ranks climb out and expand into free unclaimed SR territory while the lower ranks are crushed until it expands sufficiently).

We are supposed to be talking about the same thing offset only by scale. SR should follow MMR shape. Both as normal pdf. You want mmr to expand (from middle) out into it’s fully developed SR curve. You don’t want one of the bounds clamped (the bronze) and have the upper bounds a free boundary (an 0,1 curve expanding out upwards only). The left-right or bottom-up expansion will always create more disruption then middle out. Not only that, but the locked boundary effects of one side will ruin MMR calculations because of the additional collisions.

1 Like

What do you play? Dps? Tank? etc.

I’d be happy to look at some replays for you :smiley:

1 Like

I’m so confused now because idk if stat padding does anything to ranking up. Ive gone from B4 > B3 > B1 > S5 > S5. This was with really decent stats, alot for 40+ kill games 15k + dmg.
But when my brother said he was doing his first 7 placement matches I told him to keep track of his stats. He placed S4 and told me he averaged around 7k dmg and 15-20 kills. So im not sure whats being taken into consideration lol.
Also have console mates both at S1 that both say their stats are pretty bad but theyre still going up. This is frustrating lol.

No it shouldn’t. You’re saying this from the assumption that sr is being distributed relative to the sr of players around you, and not as something that chases MMR which is meant to closely match the expected curve. SR can start as far away from that curve as it wants, as long as the system responsible for chasing sr → mmr is aware of the size of the difference.

Your idea is bad. So is global rank decay which makes it hard to tell who’s in what rank, but yours is just worse and you’re trying to use a worse example to demonstrate why a better one is still bad.

No we aren’t. No it shouldn’t. SR should follow MMR delayed by however much time you feel you want to introduce to encourage people to keep working for it. I don’t like adding grind but companies love it. :person_shrugging:

In systems constant with rank decay, thatll be a global shift to the left, in systems with asymmetric decay (like ow1) it’s the top end looking squished. But you still ship the same matches and the same mmr adjustments regardless.

You’re still confusing the two.

If my MMR is sky high but my sr is low, my win/loss can affect my mmr by a net of zero but my rank can still rocket upwards because the target sr is still very far from what it should be. Similarly people who net win against me can also go up in rank since their target mmr is rising and their sr follows suit. It is not a bidirectional thing. Similarly if the entire ladder has deflated sr using their old target sr as a goal, they can still all chase at the same time.

1 Like

This team even got stat-padding wrong. If I’m in a troll lobby of troll accounts hosted by yours truly in the basement5 - my tanks don’t tank my healers don’t heal - then obviously my damage will be low and/or outcompeted by afk moiras and the like.

The only real metric that is almost universally true no matter the situation - k/d per dmg per healing received. So if you rack up high k/d for low dmg (efficient picks) and never got team resources to help you do so (like heals or other defensive cds), you’re way, way better than someone who pads their dmg on junkrat but goes 8-11.

All reasons why data should not be used to classify people’s ranks in a game that is about winning against others who win.

Data-free is how every fair ladder works when the point of the game is to win.

1 Like

My idea isn’t bad, it’s provably best-possible. You’re welcome to math it out.

MMR is a normal. SR is a normal. SR is scaled on [0,5000]. MMR is scaled on [0,1].

MMR “maps onto” SR. Now, do you want that to be arrested at one of the edges (in this case, lower bound at zero), or do you want that pinned in the middle? The answer is middle everytime, because it avoids the most “collisions at the boundary” and offers a more efficient kinetic expansion of the players from starting location to final deserved destination. If they’re offered a free bounday + 1 pinned, then they get all these extra collisions at the pinned boundary and the MMR interactions are thrown way, way off. The “gas” (in this case large N players) doesn’t expand outwards from all sides covering the most region as quickly and with as little resistance as it should.

Middle is just better, because math says so.

this ranking system is just trash af got 2 times bronze 5 then bronze 4 now bronze 3 wtf and i got a winrate of 60%

SR can also exist as just “an approximation of the mmr normal given enough time”. That time being a matter of how fast you allow it to chase and how aggressively you decay people. Right now it looks like they want that to be 5 or so competitive updates? I can’t really tell. How have yours gone by the way?

The starting shape doesn’t have to matter by necessity. Only if you need the sr of the other team to decide how much to award to you at the end of the match. Though if you have an accepted MMR range, say -3 to +3 and you map that to the 0-5000 scale with the intent of it just lagging behind, then your sr will adjust for any starting condition of the sr curve as long as you didn’t also decay mmr. It becomes unidirectional, not bidirectional. A function of time, grind yes, but not a breaking issue.

For ref, I don’t think starting everyone 1k low, especially if bronze 5 is really a superfat band, is good. Nor is your suggestion of “well it’s fine just decay the top end of the ladder and boost the low end!”

IMO they’re both trash, but I’m guessing they think this will be better for engagement.

I can’t even leave Bronze 5. This sh*t is the backrooms lol. I am not the best player in the world obviously, but I also don’t believe I’m delusional for thinking I should be climbing. Even then I’d be open to advice and tips but oh right, can’t even view each other’s profiles.

1 Like

I have a winrate of 70%. My stats as (support) heals are close my husband’s, only slightly better as I’m a better healer than he is. He went from bronze to gold.

I went from bronze 5, to… bronze 5 today. I am incredibly disheartened, and I don’t think I’ll be pushing rank anymore.

This weird ranking system will push a lot of players away. We’ll be back to 10+ minute queues in no time, and only the whales will keep up with the premium pass. Yayyyy

3 Likes

My dumb self-purchased watch point thinking I needed it to play OW2. Even after I realized I was like ah but all the perks…what perks…they couldn’t even theme the battlepass so you get 2 cyber skins and then have to pay $20+ for the rest in shop if it’s with a hero you like.

1 Like

I have exact same problem. I am simply stuck in support platinum 2 with about 70% win rate.
7-3 = plat 2
7-1 = plat 2
7-4 = plat 2
7-4 = plat 2

There definitely seems to be some issue there.

2 Likes

yeah my wife is like 100x worse than me in every sense. She plays 1 hour a week and I play 5 hours a day. But im in bronze5 → bronze5 → bronze5 whereas she went like bronze1 → silver4 and floats in those regions. Her lobbies are ezland with welcoming people and nowhere near the sweat of basement5. It’s almost like they’re protecting people like her from predators like me. I think to get out of B5 you have to leapfrog all the way up into gold/plat. They won’t let flagged accounts pass through “actual” bronze or silver.

All the more reason to publish the algs so we can see if anything nefarious is going on.

2 Likes

I play tank! I used to main DVA but I like Orisa a lot better and have a higher WR with her as well as Sigma.

Same 2x in a row positive win rate stuck at plat 2 as support.

Totally agree with stat padding. For support you can go Moira since you can heal orb and do dps. Throw a damage orb at start and when you see a runner. I had an unlucky, maybe, 15 games in a row of leavers so it crashed me back to square one. But I think you will have better luck.

I play tank but what exactly is stat padding?

Doing worthless damage or healing.

Easiest is just shooting a tank over and over while the enemy heals them.

Reverse. Just healing the tank while they have 3/4 HP ignoring the teams HP so you get top damage.

1 Like

But I already out damage both DPS most games or 1 DPS who is complete poop so I’m carrying the weight while they run around playing Sombra and getting killed the second they hack.

really I’m at 63% cross chars and still reside in silver