Boosted bronze to diamond question

No no no, I’m not referring to myself. This is a hypothetical statement on smurfing. That is all. Not literal. In a literal world I fully agree with you.

Mhmmm

4 Likes

I would rather lose against smurf than lose with boosted player.

In many cases you can somehow deal with smurf by flexing to counter him or atleast you can learn from him something. But dealing with someone who has bronze skill in plat for example is just horrible. That guy will not be just dead weight for your team, he would be actualy helping to enemy team because of his bronze mistakes.

Boosting is the worst thing.

2 Likes

Yes my friend this is possible indeed. The matchmaker look at individuals performance and creates “fair” matches off of this, regardless of tier. You could be in bronze and playing in some gold tier caliber match. You can play master tier and it feels as it is platinum tier. I am telling you, platinum to mid master all feel the same, there is almost no difference.

I had a low plat friend get boosted to masters by t500s. He fell straight back down the next couple seasons.

With regards to your point, he would initially be placed in higher tier bronze games, but eventually would find ones of the same rank. MMR is based on how long you play too.

This idea is entirely contradictory to everything we know about matchmaking, which strongly suggests that MMR and SR are essentially the same unless you are Diamond+ and have suffered from SR decay. (Small MMR/SR differences are possible from leaver penalties also, but you’d be season banned before they could add up to even half a rank).

How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 16)

My friend, the person who made that post only post some vague quote from real blizzard employee in most cases. Some comment are specific but most are open for some interpretation. Really, that person doesn’t even play Overwatch enough to have an idea of what really goes on and he only one tricks hero’s.

Please ask yourself and think long on this: why would some person like kaawumbuh spend more time posting in forums and to be talking about this matchmaker than he actually play the game? Really, please try and concentrate on this and use your best problem solving to come up with a solution. Why does this person make every single item of his posts about the matchmaker and defending it when he does not really even play the game (look at his post history, all he does is defend matchmaker)?

Your mind will come up with the solution but you will not want to believe it. I will pray for you to find the open mind.

People should be allowed to play at their true rank unmolested and those who gain in skill will climb. Unfortunately that is not the case. Was only attempting to shine a light on the situation using hypothetical question

That post uses nearly ever Blizzard comment on MMR and SR that has ever been made, along with other evidence, to form a coherent summary of what we actually know about the matchmaker. In this case, most importantly, we know that the Matchmaker uses MMR and only MMR to form matches, and that SR is strongly representative of MMR.

How and how often the author plays has no relevance at all as the reasoning in that post relies on accumulated evidence, not on the author’s experiences.

Your comment about the matchmaker, on the other hand, is a simple opinion backed up by no reasoning and no evidence. For your comment to be true - that is, that there is some ‘individual performance’ metric used in matchmaking that is disconnected from MMR/SR - it would require that Blizzard has systematically lied to us. That would be a bold claim, and I don’t think that it’s unreasonable to ask that you provide some evidence, before making such a claim.

At the very least I would like to know what possible reasoning there would be for using some other performance based metrics besides MMR, when MMR is already intended to be an accurate assessment of your skills adjusted by wins, losses, and (at least in lower ranks) personal performance… and then lying about it.

2 Likes

The Reverse-Smurf. I like it. But get boosted to GM so that you can inflict maximum damage to the ladder as you crash and burn back down to bronze.

You get better over time, you don’t make jumps in ability because you get stomped by a smurf for 1 match. At most you might learn something like (alley X) is great for widow, and not to peak when the enemy has a widow. Except you got stomped by a diamond smurf widow, and likely won’t ever get to that rank, so knowing this information isn’t that great, since most widows they will encounter won’t have the skill to make that particular shot.

My friend, there are two types of people, those who believe everything that is to be told to them, and then others who hear things and do some reality check to ensure what they have been told is accurate. I am the second in this list, the matchmaker is not what you have been told, but I understand it feels safer to believe it.

That’s what I’m doing. A reality check.
On the other side: developer interviews, developer statements. Reasons to believe that information: it’s consistent with the observed matchmaker behavior, lying to your customers is generally a bad idea, and is usually done only by marketing, not by developers and designers.
On your side: Unsubstantiated opinion and assertions.

Hm, yes, reality check: one side has a basis in reality, one side doesn’t.

Yes my friend, you also would have believed smoking is good for the health when the doctor tell you it is even though there is coughing and wheezing and burning in your lung. This is the same thing. Be blessed.

Boosting is forbidden btw, you could get suspended from the game and forums just for saying you’re going to do it.

Never said I was going to do it. This was a hypothetical question

Look at the group names in LFG. One in three is a throwing group. It’s ridiculous.

The QP matchmaker would most likely put them against Diamond or even GM tier players. The QP matchmaker would be looking at Stats from the booster and trick that match maker into thinking they were that player. That effect may diminish over a long period of time but I’m not sure how long. In comp they would loose crazy SR after each game and derank to the rank they are playing at after as little as one day. This is why boosting is a waste of money.

right but not one in three out of every matchup is a throwing group. From experience I know, rarely do you actually run into a throwing group and what’s the complaint if you do? Free SR.

“What’s the complaint?” I’ll tell you. Because once they get to my rank (Bronze), they stop throwing and smash everyone.