Blizzard, why you punish good behavior?

Serious question - why?

I was in a competitive game and my internet disconnected me, it happens and I took it upon my self to come back and win the game, and hopefully win my SR that I think i deserve. yet despite the fact that my team and I won the game i still lost my SR. From where I stand it look clear as day that you punish good behavior.

Before anyone wants to cop-out and say “doestn’t matter” Yes it does matter, if you can’t see it, you have no business in this discussion.
So really, where is the nuance, according to you, there is none. Punish those who leave, and don’t come back. same goes for those who do come back disconnected or not. or just admit that you don’t care.

1 Like

In this game if you disconnect at all, or have unbearable ping, you are putting your team at risk. Your connection is your responsability, same as your behaviour in game.

Overwatch is an esports money making machine now, they are putting all the effort into Overwatch League, they do not care about the casual players or ladder.

2 Likes

I can see where you are coming from, and yet at the same time, imagine the player who disconnects regularly, perhaps even multiple times per games.

One of the simplest mistakes people make in this game is dying too often, because when you are dead you can’t readily influence the outcome of the match in a positive way for your team.

Disconnects are even worse in this regard because you are putting your team at a significant disadvantage every time you disconnect.

So, if they weren’t to penalize SR. What would motivate the player I mentioned above to improve the stability of their connection?

Since when is leaving game good behavior?

3 Likes

I came here to ask this. Dangit, Life…

1 Like

There is a fine line between purposely leaving and disconnecting against your free will and returning. I can’t believe i have to explain that to you. I even spelled it out on the 1st sentence “disconnected”

1 Like

Happend to me once aswell

Doesn’t matter, git gud and move on. No clue why you would even open a thread, there are worse things

Ok smart***, how does the system determine if you DC or actually leave the game ?

The fact you came back is certainly good behavior but you are forgeting the other fact. You left the game and it can affect the outcome, and affect your team mates.

You were probably outside of the game too long and it could greatly affect the match. Thats why you lost sr, system punished you for that. Not for going back.

Its like stealing something in shop and then go back and return it. It doesnt change the fact you stole it, and there should be punishement for it. I Hope you understand it now.

1 Like

easy, press esc, you see the “leave game”. Thats part one, press that button you willingly leave. second part is that blizzard has technology to detect internet connectivity issues, if they can detect you have high latency that probably exceeds 2000, I think it’s a safe bet that yea you DC’d

So all people have to do to avoid losing sr in a game that’s not going well is to turn off their router for 10 secs.

It’s not a valid solution.

2 Likes

You’re right, and that line is at the 2 minute mark. If you are disconnected from a game, you have 2 minutes to return (I think it’s 2 min). Most people can’t pull that off. Restart your PC, log in, fire up OW, log in to that… usually longer than 2 minutes. If you come back after the 2 minute mark, win or lose, you’ll lose 50 SR. It’s happened to me once or twice. Know what I do after that happens, I stop playing comp until my connectivity issues are resolved. That’s what you’re doing too, right?

Nope. This is just factually incorrect. Blizzard CAN NOT tell the difference between someone whose ISP is having problems, versus someone who just yanked the network cable out of their PC on purpose, which people would absolutely do to avoid SR loss if Blizz gave any slack at all to players who D/C. In either case, it would look the same from Blizzard’s end: runaway latency with the client. It is not Blizzard’s responsibility to trace exactly where the disconnect is occurring. Their responsibility ends at making sure the problem isn’t their servers. Beyond that, not their problem.

It’s yours. Don’t play comp if you cannot trust your connection. Play QP, play arcade, play a custom match, etc. But steer clear of comp. You won’t find any sympathy on these boards for disconnects. Everyone here has lost matches due to other players that should have known better than to play comp with a spotty connection.

2 Likes

Rejoining a game without penalty is only possible during certain phases of the game and within a timely manner. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. Furthermore, Blizzard knows that it is more important to deter bad leaver behavior including those who are disconnecting and not taking the time to resolve any persistent disconnection problems. You can learn about this policy here:

3 Likes

If the team wins in the end I don’t see any reason as to why you would further punish the “leaver”. But we got no clue as to how the MM actually works and handles those situations. Chances are high that someone who didn enjoy the match anyway (which happens quite often as it seems) would refrain from login back in. -50 SR in case of a loss should be enough

I’ll bet more people alt-f4 because that immediately shuts down your game. It’d look like more of a disconnect than manually leaving the game. And I don’t think Blizz would even be allowed to detect that, since they’d have to be monitoring your computer input directly.

How do you think your character knows that you want to move forward when you press “w”?

lol

Sorry, but capturing input of the most absolutely basic requirements for a game. Of course Blizzard can detect when you press Alt-F4, or any other key or combination of keys.

1 Like

Why come back after d/c ? You lose 50 sr anyway.
Might as well start a new game rather than wasting your time.
And random d/c is rare enough that the sr loss is inconsequential. Just start a new game.

Not only does this disregard the teammates you’re screwing over by not returning, it’s not even possible. If you leave, your options are to rejoin or wait for the match to end, at which point you’ll get a minimum 10 minute ban.

1 Like

yes… it’s obviously Blizzard’s fault.

You don’t.

No, your got penalised for leaving a match. The reason for that disconnect does not matter. All Blizzard sees is that you left the match.

Your team won DESPITE your disconnection.

1 Like

Well yeah that’s what I meant, ignore the rejoin, wait for like 2 minutes for rejoin to expire then play a new game. The only time i got a 10 minute suspension was when i actively left the game via the menu because sometimes, the 50 sr hit and 10 minute suspension is worth to dump the loss on an ungrateful and toxic team, especially as it looks like it’s a win !

This is the opposite of a competitive mindset. Thankfully, you’ll get permanently banned before long with that approach.