Blizzard Updater wants to melt my CPU

Is definitely the updaters fault when it throttles my CPU to 100% and then disconnects from the update server. Maybe think and actually know something before posting idiotic dribble.

7 Likes

Task manager only has the Update Launcher using up all the CPU.

Can’t post links unfortunately.

Same here 100% CPU on a i7-4790K I mean yeah its a few generations old but nothing to where a game update should be maxing out at 100%. Feel bad for those guys not running on water that this is happening to.

Could I get those of you having this issue to run some log files for us, and then send them in so our QA Team can investigate?

This support article explains what we need and how to do it.

Send the resulting file you create to:

Techinfo@Blizzard.com with a subject line of “Launcher utilization”

A few more people having issues in another thread that I can’t link. Whatever the launcher is needing to do while installing is undeniably cpu hungry.

Hitting 100% on my i56600k, I caught it early though and set my fans to awfully loud jet engine mode so I have been fine.

Probably not going to kill anyones cpu but it’s definitely bad enough that this should be fixed, or at-least warn people when whatever is happening is going to happen.

2 Likes

Also please note that the client may be installing some of the download (causing the high CPU usage) then continue the download:

The computer was unusable while updating due the high cpu usate, even if i removed the affinity from one physical core LOL (got an i7-8550U). So i deleted the game and redownloaded it thanks to my 1Gbit/s connection :sunglasses:

Well i noticed right now that the whole game is 14GB while the patch 13GB. Wouldn’t have been better just to redownload the whole game insted of this update?

1 Like

I have also received reports from my fellow MVPs on our private Discord that pausing and resuming the update can stop high CPU usage problems.

2 Likes

Same for me. CPU fans ran up to 100%…i7 8700K @ 5GHz

The same thing is happening to me. As soon as I pause the update it takes down the cpu usage to around 6% but the minute I press start it shoots up to 100% and crashes the PC within 5 seconds.

Specs:
i7-8700k
1080ti
32 GB Memory

It does not happen with any other game or download.

2 Likes

So what? Updater not just downloads, but installs data, too. Other than that there must be something wrong with Your PC if 100% cpu usage makes it melt. PCs should work fine under 100% usage (both CPU and GPU). Change fans or something.

Yeah the problem is that the PC works perfectly fine with Steam, Internet, Other Games, Other Downloads, etc. The only thing in the whole computer that is causing it to crash/shoot up to 100% usage is Battlenet, more specifically the Battlenet the launcher. I don’t think “Change fans or something” is gonna help.

2 Likes

Bad cooling dude. Don’t blame updater. PCs should work fine under full usage. My laptop doesn’t have any problem even when both cpu and gpu is being used at 100%. Fans will get loud, but no throttling or bsod. Do something with Your PC. Add fans or stop overclocking.

1 Like

You’re telling me that it’s not the fault of the one application in my entire PC that causes this issue?

1 Like

You’re making excuses for poor code optimization. An application pegging a top tier CPU at 100% utilization is a sign of bad thread optimization. This is not something that is “normal” or the fault of my computer.

2 Likes

Same. I have a Ryzen 3 1200 OC’d to 3.8GHz.

Update unpacks downloaded data. CPU is being used 100% cause it is fast and tries to do it as fast as possible. My CPU was 100% during update so what? Even if update is poorly made etc it’s nothing big. Didn’t have any issues with that. I don’t have high end PC so even Overwatch uses CPU to 100% all the time during gameplay. Nothing is wrong about that. Problem with Your PC, case closed.

Sounds like majority of you improperly overclocked lol…

You need to put limits on your over clocking because if something takes full advantage of your CPU you will burn your processors into vapor.

1 Like

my CPU is 100% (for 2 years now) everytime i play OW

I built my PC. Installations shouldn’t peg your CPU at 100%. That doesn’t happen, especially for a quad core+. Any modern intel or AMD cpu should be able to update and watch a GIF at the same time. If your update makes videos lag, that’s the fault of faulty optimization.

1 Like