Blizzard is Apparently Considering Splitting Comp into Two Playlists

It is. Changes for one mode will directly affect the other mode. You cannot change both and not expect huge, unexpected impact on the other.

Example: The recent tank shield nerfs could not have happened in QPC without sending tanks into the gutter for solo tanking, due to massive damage potential of 3+dps comps against them. Those changes were fine in 222. The 2 modes are not compatible in a lot of ways.

1 Like

I think Megadodo means that it’s possible to balance both separately.

I personally feel the balance in Competitive Open Queue is fine right now.

1 Like

I can already see pro rolequeue players being upset at this since it means longer queue times for them

I think it’s a bad idea. Open Que Comp should just be part of arcade rotation.

Overwatch has enough players to support both modes. I think it is a good idea. For me personally, I could see playing both depending on if I felt like flexing or not that day.

1 Like

Naeri I think no longer participates in the Korea MVP community, which is different from my role as a Tech Support MVP, they might have dissolved their MVP program but I am not entirely sure. (North American Overwatch forums has no Community MVP program.)

That being said Naeri is a very well-known member of our community and often gets reliable news from various sources. That being said, until something is officially stated by Blizzard, consider anything stated as rumor. She also often intreprets many of the dev posts here on the North American forums somewhat incorrectly occasionally. I think she may be talking about this post from Jeff Kaplan when Open Queue first came out:

1 Like

Great! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: Open queue competitive needs to be a permanent mode.

1 Like

The entire issue behind goats was that they needed to make stacking tanks/supports weaker but not so weak that they become useless when played in 222 against the buffed up anti goats DPS.

Goats is meta in open queue already and if they nerfed tanks to solve the issue of goats it would screw over tanks in 222.

In reality would this simply be moving open queue from arcade menu to the competitive menu, one square over?

not really a huge change

1 Like

So basically Comp1 will have tanks and supports, while Comp2 has all the damage players who don’t want to wait in queue.

Yep, do you wanna play 2-2-2- or 0-5-1

1 Like

Balancing them both separately means 2 separate games.

The balance in OQ is not balanced for all classes, especially tanks and healers.

OW isn’t designed for competitive.

I don’t know chief, looks like you will have to pick between:

• sit in queue for [insert role here] for longer queue time

• having fast queue and contemplate every game whether you are going to play a tank or healer

I’m sorry, but there’s no way other than foricng people into specific roles if you want to have atleast somewhat quality match.

I disagree

I’d say such balancing would be difficult but not impossible

Here’s the thing, even if this is true and it happens we still have a problem:

Lack of Tank (players)

You see, yes, we have a lot of DPS players. And, more places to go for them, is good. It will thin them out per mode, which will help Q times (at least, in theory).

But, what about the Tank and Supports? Do people really think adding more permanent modes will help that? We are already struggling now, especially with the lack of tanks. That’s why we are seeing things like 6v5 matches in QP when a Tank leaves (The backfill can’t fill it fast enough, because there’s not enough people on Tank). And why we are seeing Tanks 2 ranks above or below the average player SR in Comp (like Plat Tanks in a Master game).

Don’t get me wrong, I want to keep OQ. I’m actually having fun again. Fun I haven’t had since Role Lock/Role Q/222 became a thing (outside of the 132 experiment, I really enjoyed that). But, if we do this, the players that are filling those Tank/Support slots in QP and Comp (like me), might move over to OQ, permanently. And I don’t see that helping the overall health of the game.

I mean, the Devs have said of themselves, how they don’t want to have too many active modes, at once, because it’s will split up the player base too much. Making OQ permanent could do that. And, as much as I want OQ to stay, I don’t know if the Tank and Support parts of this player base, can take being divided up even more than they already are.

1 Like

This “response” has nothing to do with what I said.
Stop nitpicking half a sentence and responding to it like it means something. The fact still remains:
Open queue is a type of competitive in OW, it was for many years so it should have been there in the first place.

Open que is a part of competitive; therefore it has everything to do with it. I have no idea why you’re posting in here if you expect to contradict what i’m trying to say with crap that doesn’t actually make sense.

I like open queue.

I can’t break 2200 SR between any of the 3 roles in comp. Open Queue I placed near 2400 off the bat.

It’s amazing what you can achieve when you’re not at the mercy of 5 strangers and can flex play to a fill a role lacking, whether it’s more healing, tank, or damage.

You’re playing healing and constantly getting picked off by Doomfist and nobody will swap to help? Swap to Sombra, force him off, then go back to healing.

You can’t throw 12 random people together and then expect synergy and team work off the bat. Couple that with games needing comms? It’s a recipe for hell. Open Queue at least gives people some control of their own games.

2 Likes

Dude … did you actually read ANYTHING of the post you nitpicked a sentence from or from the OP ?
It is not, its on the Arcade section. The sentence from the twitter literally says:

officially considering whether to introduce Competitive Open Queue into the regular Competitive Play within the Overwatch team, and there may be two versions of Competitive Play if it passes.

Read dude. Read before throwing comments for the sake of mashing your keyboard and stop trolling. No more feeding you.