Blizzard Encourages People to Disconnect From Games

I would like someone to please explain to me what the point of making someone lose SR for accidental disconnects are. Earlier today I was playing a competitive game where, for some reason, I disconnected. This is extremely frustrating, especially since I don’t believe that the problem was on my end. My PC was still connected to the internet, I never have any issues with my internet (131 Mbps dl, 20 Mbps ul), and I’m running off of a high end gaming laptop. Once I disconnected, I tried to join back in immediately by restarting OW, but the launcher failed to start it three times.

But whatever, I get back into the game, apologize profusely, and play away. We proceed to draw the game despite having been disconnected for a good chunk of time. When I go to queue for another game, I notice my SR had dropped as if I had lost. Why? This is absolutely ridiculous that I am punished for something that is in now way my fault and was not to the detriment of my team.

This policy is downright moronic, when you think about it. Other than punishing someone for something that was not their fault, what Blizzard is doing is encouraging people to leave, and not come back. Tell me, what incentive do I have to reconnect and play well if ultimately my draw/win is going to be treated as a loss? That’s just a waste of my time.

While this doesn’t often effect me, as I rarely disconnect, it’s still a ridiculous policy to enforce. It makes no sense that a player would waste their time playing your game after a disconnect, because at that point they’re just playing to lose. That, in turn, screws over the 5 other people on the team. This seems like really basic stuff, I can’t believe that this is implemented in the game in the way that it is.

I’m sorry if this is not the proper forum to air my grievances, but I didn’t see a more appropriate one.

1 Like

Blizzard is actually preventing players from deliberately disconnecting from games by enforcing penalties for all game crashes, disconnections, and other “out-of-control” issues. Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Understand that disconnections don’t necessarily kick you off of the internet. Remember connecting to one internet service is not using the same connection route as another. Since it sounds like this was a one time disconnect, I will spare the troubleshooting for now. But if you are disconnecting frequently, please say so and we can help you troubleshoot where and why a disconnection is happening and how to solve it.