Blizz client wants me to update OW every time I close

I close Overwatch and the Blizz client requires me to Update the game before I can launch it again.
So, what causes this? I found old threads with this same problem and followed the steps, and it works from 2 to 3 game launches. Then it went back to requiring me to update the game every time. The solutions aren’t really solutions as much as deleting caches or reinstalling the Blizz client entirely. So basically turning it off and then on again. That’s not a fix if it goes back almost immediately.
Any permanent solutions?

NESomnia,

If it’s not just a blizzard app corruption issue I’d wager your problem is more along the lines of a security conflict. Some security programs will quarantine pieces of the game, forcing it to repair itself each time you close it. Try updating your security definitions/uninstalling any third party security if that fails. If that doesn’t give you any love, does the same thing happen on a new admin account?

1 Like

BINGO.
Security conflict is correct. At one point I had set Overwatch to Run as Admin, I forget why now. I think because I had to run Discord as Admin because it was giving me conflicts with another game and the game overlay. But the Blizz launcher itself was not set to Run as Admin. Setting the launcher to Admin seems to have cleared it up.

NESomnia

Glad you got that worked around! If you’re on a non admin account, this is perfect. However if you are on an administrator account you shouldn’t need to use run as admin. The fact that you need to run as admin indicates some kind of permission problem with the account.

This is a bit beyond our normal scope, but I’d test with all the admin modes disabled on a new administrator account as I recommended earlier. If that works, it means the registry for your old account is messed up. Move your files to the new account, delete the old one, and you should have far less problems with various apps going forward.

Thanks for the follow up at any rate!

1 Like