Bizarre Mystery Lag on PC but Not on My Switch

Hello I am hoping someone can help me solve this weird problem I have. The last month or so Overwatch has been lagging like crazy. What is strange is no other online game has this problem and even stranger is that when I tried playing Overwatch on my Switch, there was also no lag. It seems to only be my PC’s Overwatch that is affected. I updated all my drivers and bought a new ethernet cord just in case. What should I try next? It is boderline unplayable at times on my PC… I appreciate any help! Thanks!

Hello,

There are some system requirements to play on PC. There is a massive topic out there with a lot of players complaining. A blue has replied with some information about system requirements, possible fixes (unsupported) and what to do if your system doesn’t meet the one in the post.

See:

Thank you!! I just kind of assumed my PC fit requirements and never thought to look into that. I will check that now. I appreciate the response! Update: It appears that I do fit the system requirements :thinking: Perhaps this is more of a network problem?

1 Like

Did you also try lower all the settings to the minimum, having a max of 30 fps? Or maybe try out the BIOS thing for a few minutes?

If it would be your internet connection, then it should show a lower ping on speedtest websites such as fast .com?

How about a firewall in Windows or Mac, have you tried “always allow”-ing the Overwatch process to access the internet?

What about anti-virus? I do not recommend doing it, but have you tried disabling it for 30 minutes while playing Overwatch on the lowest settings? Or, if your anti-virus allowes you to, exclude the overwatch executable in the anti-virus settings.

Or, I don’t know if it is possible in Overwatch for PC, but in some games it has an option within the Video Settings that is allowing you play in “Windowed mode” instead of “Full Screen”. If that option is there, it is worth a try.

Is there enough disk space left on the machine?

I am just thinking with you, here. So apologies if you already tried the options.

I am getting caught up in work now, so I have to leave this forum for some hours.

So my speed test says 220 mbps currently from fast .com. I have not noticed any framerate drops and it stays consistently at 60 fps. What I do notice is spikes in my IND when the lag happens. I have tried lowering the settings, but I think that would only fix framerate issues which doesn’t seem to the case here. Correct me if I am wrong though, I am not tech savvy in the least! I have tried playing in both windowed and full screen, but that doesn’t change anything either.

I have disabled my antivirus program but that also didn’t fix anything :frowning: For the firewall, a long time ago I clicked always allow when I was prompted, but I am not sure how that really works and haven’t figured out anything with that since. I do have enough disk space over 50 atleast. Other things I have tried is port-forwarding, uninstalling, and ending back ground tasks. I am not sure what the BIOS thing is, but I will look into it :slight_smile: Again, I can’t thank you enough for giving me some ideas. I am so frustrated and at a loss here so huge thank you!!

1 Like

You are very welcome!

I understood there will be a new client release (update), any time next week. Possibily. And that should contain a lot of fixes.

If the problem doesn’t get fixed with the things I wrote earlier, then hopefully with the update. I understand it can be very frustrating as I couldn’t even see the main menu for almost four days straight.

There are a few more tips that are worth trying on this website below. Also, I am not sure if it still exists, but before there was an option in the launcher that you could “verify game content”. That button/option would check each and every file of Overwatch.

Website with some more tips:

errorfixer. co/overwatch-2-fix-lag-fps-drops-stuttering/

www.followchain. org/lag-stuttering-overwatch-2/

I hope it will be fixed any time soon!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.