Better Player Rewards

Overwatch needs more exclusive player rewards, such as character mastery rewards or emblems for every competitive rank you reach.

8 Likes

Jeff addresses concerns with Competitive rewards in his interview with Seagull. Brief summary is that if there are very many rewards for anything in Comp, you invite people to play comp just for the rewards, and use undesirable mechanisms for trying to get those rewards.

Increased SR is the appropriate and best reward for playing well in Comp.

4 Likes

Then make the rewards for quickplay? Most of the playerbase hates comp as its too toxic and is just not fun so they play quickplay, people want their gold guns still and as the op said, character sprays and the like.

I know it doesn’t happen much, but even in QP the aim should ONLY be to win. I don’t think it’d be good to give more incentive to do your own thing instead of what the team needs.

E.g.: Imagine there’s a reward for getting a solo 5K. Wouldn’t it be annoying if one of your DPS players was intentionally going in by themselves to try to get the solo kills when we all know it’s much better for the team to work together? People already do it often enough. There’s no need to give them more incentive.

Well they could always just not make those sort of challenges and make sure the challenges are inclusive and still push you to work as a team?

True. Care to give an example of a challenge that’s still in-line with the sole objective of winning?

• Cancel (number) of enemy ults with sleep as ana
  • (with better wording) hit a ghost dash as genji
  • Block 2 enemy rein shatters in one match
  • Do (number of dmg) to enemy players with tnt as ashe
  • As wrecking ball, boop 2 players to their deaths in one match

Theres some that I came up with in 5min, its really not hard and if they wanted to implement some solid challenges for everyone to have fun with and enjoy it is quite possible.

And what sort of reward would you associate with those feats?

– A) They’re big enough rewards that players are putting too much effort in to achieving them - any focus removed from the single most important goal is bad.

– B) The rewards are so meaningless nobody cares. Good for competitive play but pointless as a reward.

If winning isn’t enough of a reward then competitive play isn’t the right game mode for you.

They’re literally just fun challenges to do? They can reward loot crates or maybe custom hero sprays? Idk? They can be for quickplay or comp and maybe even reward the points to get gold guns?
Why the hell are you being so negative about such a chill and easy suggestion?

1 Like

I remember when i proposed this and i had to fight off a bunch of people aaying they didn’t want it, because they didn’t want an influx of olayers who only played for the rewards to come back, like players qith gold guns in earlier seasons.

I would love for us to have a broader arrangement of aeards. Especially to be able to use with our competitive points.

1 Like

This community is way too negative about harmless ideas, exclusive rewards give players satisfaction for their hard work in competitive. Right now, people can drop after they reach a high rank and then have nothing to show for it unless people dig through their career profile.

1 Like