Being punished for natural disconnects is unreasonable and can be worked around

If its european server then i totally understand. Thats the most unstable server ive ever seen in my life. Since i started to play on the american server, i havent got DC’d once.

They can tell whether you pressed leave or not. They cannot tell whether you intentionally unplugged it or not. Beyond that, they don’t want you to just refuse to troubleshoot and continously connect to comp when you know your internet is acting up. Once in a season is stuff happens, repeated problems is negligence.

1 Like

Then how about this, you get disconnect try to log back in but hey the launcher also disconnected. You attempt to log back into the launcher and it tells you that login might take some time. So you wait 3 mins to finally get in just to see you lost 50sr and got suspended. For being literally unable to rejoin because of server failure. Happend to me many times last season and i have seen multiple people getting disconnected at once in many games during this time. Guess what they still got punished.

If both the launcher and the game client are disconnected, that means it is not just any one game server having a problem. The launcher communicates with the authentication server, which is a completely separate IP address from that of the game’s management server (what I call the lobby server) or the game server of a specific match. In fact, depending on where you connect, the Blizzard Authentication Server can be in a completely different geographical location from that of a game server. So if you are losing connection from both the game client and the Blizzard BattleNet Launcher, that is a problem with your connection somewhere between you and Blizzard’s services, and not a problem on their end.

1 Like

That does not mean you should get punished for that, especially not when you come back and see that multiple of both teams have vanished.

1 Like

Unfortunately there are many factors involved when things like a network outage affect multiple players. If there is a severe problem detected by Blizzard, they will often disable Competitive from even being played (this happens extremely rarely). Once again, the starting penalty is small at only 10 minutes and the 50 SR loss is also not a big deal as you often recover it for the next few games (as the SR and hidden MMR realign), assuming you don’t just jump right back into Competitive without verifying the problem has been resolved. Again read this post for more details on the standing policy regarding malfunctions of any kind and why the penalty system works as it does:

1 Like

I have informed myself just to find out that there is no problem with my router/ethernet, provider or blizzards end. I wasnt banned the first 2 times but i was a bit mad when i rejoined a game that we won in the end just to get the -50 and nothing for the win (the match was still going for like 8 minutes). I have had another dissconects over the week with the same issue recieving the 10 and 30 minutr ban this time. I havent played comp again for the rest of that season because as you can imagine a 200sr loss is quite big. But from friends i have heard the problem still occuring even after i stopped playing. My wifi cant lie to me as i check every time when i dc if it was my end which it wasnt and i doubt my provider would lie to me either.

Yes please, do that, so I can unplug my router and no more point loss at the end of a bad game !
Yaaaaaaay, I definitly don’t see how this system could be abused :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

You are wrong here. If your cable gets cut off from net (accident, power outage somewhere where ISP installed their network switch you’re connected to, etc…) it will show like missing cable and no network. Yet, player haven’t done anything wrong.

There is no way to reliably know what happened. People can just reset their router to emulate it.

If this is true, you should also know how easy it would be for players to emulate one of the “good” scenarious to leave matches without punishment.

It is important to understand that I don’t blame one’s modem or router (though I do recommend always checking that first as that is the one thing players have direct control over). In reality, a common cause of issues for disconnections is on what I call a “backbone hub”, basically one of the connecting points between you and the game server. These are frustrating when they are the cause, but you can identify the issue by doing a WinMTR test.

Nice to see you have zero clue how computers and networking works…

I’m happy if they removed the match cancels after you reconnected and told all 11 players to have a nice next game… :sweat_smile:

I used to have plenty of disconnects as well so I know how frustrating they can be. I used to play with a crappy laptop and wi-fi back in the days, but I’ve since then switched to Ethernet (for some reason my laptop couldn’t get a stable connection even with Ethernet, and that’s why I made sure I had a pc which could handle internet connection). Since then I’ve never disconnected other than the occasional server error, but on those rare cases I never lost sr, I think it got reimbursed.

If you are disconnecting try using an Ethernet cable, its super cheap so its very easy to upgrade from wi-fi and the first step towards a better setup.

If you go into competitive with an internet connection issue and aware of such a problem you must accept the sr loss that comes with it, they can’t remove the sr penalty since people could abuse such a feature and you are ruining a competitive game for 5 other people, you aren’t playing a single player game.

Try playing QP instead, that mode has backfill so at least your team won’t be as penalized and you most likely won’t accumulate enough leaves to receive an xp punishment.

1 Like

I pay for 200mbs of optic fiber and I still experience disconnects because my internet provider doesn’t care and has a monopoly.
So according to you, I should just sell my overwatch account.
If you have any ideas as to how I can fix my internet that my own provider isn’t bothering to fix (a country wide issue), then provide them genius.

I’m not sure natural disconnects should be free from being punished, however, there have been some recent disconnects due to Blizzard servers since the Archives update.

Those shouldn’t be used against the OW players but Blizzard never refund the SR when it’s on their end either, even when the servers crash 1-2 hours after a recent update (the infamous « Patch Day - No play).

I find it very silly for us to be afraid of playing competitive game right after an update but well… we all know Blizzard is an indie company…

1 Like

Yes I’ve had, but I don’t complain about it here. I’ll either fix the issue, or accept that I lost one match worth of SR (horrible, IKR?)

1 Like

There’s an option in the blizzard app to close it automatically once launching a game. This wouldn’t work.

aka, spyware. You see the problem with that right?

if the net dropped… blizzard wouldn’t see this unless again, spyware.

I get this isn’t exactly “spyware” in it’s traditional sense, but it is a very big step in that direction that would throw many people off. Just look at how people reacted to epic being able to check your steam friends list, in case you wanted to try and import contacts.

1 Like

if natural dc wasn’t punished, players would abuse it because it can’t tell the difference between them, its either everyone gets punished or nobody gets punished but that doesnt work either

its not blizzard fault for your side dcing either way

1 Like

Sometimes it is. Look at all the dc reports in the Tech Support category. Not refundable even when it’s Blizzard’s fault. Whenever the servers crash because of an update, Blizzard clients are still punished for it.

So your statement is completely wrong, it can be Blizzard’s fault but the SR loss will always be at the cost of the players, unfortunately. That’s the only part that bugs me. If it’s an ISP problem, then I don’t mind for the players to be punished as Blizzard can’t do anything about it but if it’s a Blizzard bug or server crash, clients shouldn’t be punished at all, period.

1 Like

We should talk about the famous “your rendering device has stopped working” problem that’s something more annoying.

1 Like