Been studying... I think I figured below diamond ranked out

So I’ve been kinda fed up with the game as i have been in a 9L streak in ranked now and went from mid plat to high gold. At this rhythm I wouldn’t be surprised if i ended in low silver before I start winning again.

So I started in s7 at 1730sr and climbed almost 1000 sr since. I was starting to watch my vods, learn from mistakes, trying to learn to look out for ults and predict them, working on shotcalling. But I initially stuck to my picks: main tank, and main and off healers. Only if there was no organisation would I go for tracer as i think I do have a high gold-low plat tracer skill, whivh would help if people wouldn’t pick her counters and focus her.

However I stuck to 3-4 heroes max, and usually stuck to one hero every match, rarely flexing.

Once I hit plat, winnibg started to be more important to me than stats. Which often led to us winning eith me personally performing poorly but still contributing to victory. However, I think this might have affected my MMR as i have really performed poorly in terms of personal stats (for example picking pharah when they have no hitscans to make them focus me while our tracer could more easily flank and destroy them, or being annoying enough with widow to make 2-3 of them chase me, while my team would have a 5v3 advantage on the point.)
What this might have cause is create a change in the matchmaking to place me with people also performing poorly and thus have similar mmr than me. For instance, I was playing in mid plat with only plat players bit the more I flexed to help the team, the more I got queued with gold players and individually weak players (low accuracy, low winrates etc). This has gotten to a point, where I don’t know why but the game has decided to queue me against diamond 3stacks while I had only gold players on my team. This happenend multiple times and the matches were no contest. (3-0 stomps and so on).

So all in all, I think I’m going back to sticking to just one hero, at least as ling as I’m below diamond. I’ll get back to caring only about my own personal stats, that’s what has worked best for me. It got me good stats low sr loss, high sr wins, and better teammates. I thought the game was about flexing but the more i look at it, the more it seems that the system is made to punish this behaviour. Brawns over brains I guess.

I might be wrong about this but this happened a lot to me lately so I’ll keep you updated and post again at a later date.

Have you made similar experiences? If so, sharing would be much appreciated as i’ve really been struggling lately and instead of playing by the rules and be punished for it, I much rather play to rank up first. Is that a right mentality to have? I don’t know anymore, this game confuses me…

Anyway if you read through here, thank you and have a good one.

3 Likes

I made a post of how changing to one-tricking stopped all loss streaks completely, 100%. I don’t mean to say that it “cut down on loss streaks”, I mean it stopped them completely and this is after around 6-7 straight seasons of habitual loss streaks anywhere from 300-600 SR. The people who created this matchmaker thinks it works well because they know how it works, to people who don’t know how it functions it’s confusing and frustrating. Me and a maybe a few others know how it actually works so I don’t care about asking them to change it anymore, although they should.

2 Likes

I’m going to give that a read thank you! So I was actually right? At least partially? That’s good, it means that I at least learned something in 11 seasons, which is: don’t flex, even if the game advertises this as its specificity.

1 Like

I confess I haven’t read much about how SR gains and losses work but as long as there’s some sort of performance based factor in there I think it’s very likely that the more heroes you play, the more you’re shooting yourself in the foot, even if you’re good with those heroes.
The more heroes you play the more different data you’re going to be producing, which then needs to be averaged and since I heard that your SR at the lower ranks is decided by how you performed compared to other people who use your main hero a lot of your stats will be in “the wrong place” for your main due to said stats being from other heroes which means the stats the matter for your “main” are going to be lower than they would be if you only played him/her…I haven’t slept yesterday so I’m not sure if I’m making any sense XD

1 Like

This is no Skynet level of AI that is looking at all these random data metrics to build teams. All the match maker is really doing is finding 6 players that when grouped together have same basic team average SR as 6 other players. The complicated part of the match maker is what goes into making your MMR/SR in the first place. Yet who you play against and with is nothing more than a team average.

That’s it… that’s your match maker. It doesn’t care if you just won, just lost, flex or don’t flex etc. The reason one tricking tends to work better for a lot of people is their hero pool is trash but they keep flexing into roles they know they are weak at in game. Yet you still have to win games to rank up and no amount of personal performance is going to make up for a sub 50% win rate.

2 Likes

Best way to not go on a losing streak is to uninstall, sure helps with the anger and frustration problem too.

2 Likes

dont fill in with heroes you’re unfamiliar with, one trick best heros… teammates will understand. esp if u have good winrate

1 Like

No worries, it does make sense when you’re used to the OW BS!! Well then go to sleep and good night buddy!

But hoe come I can clearly identify a trend? For instance, my mains are Lucio and Monkey… yet since reaching plat those felt like terrible picks with the comps that I had at my disposal so I flexed, There was NOT A SINGLE GAME where I played just one hero.

It was often the right choice( zen to help counter a pharah, while having a good def ult and little additional heals, even though I myself was doing poorly due to being harrassed by a genji and/or tracer and moira, picking mercy because of the heals even if I kept dying because I had close to no mobility options because I often get teams that manage to stay PERFECTLY out of LoS yet still alliwed us to get the W even if i played worse than avdrage mercys) but I eould barely win 15SR due to how the system works. Losing would get me -30SR meaning I needed a 3-1 winratio to climb (66%?).

Following this trend, I would keep performing poorly, which lowers my MMR, and as far as I know the system tried to match you with similar skilled people so you keep playing with people that are on lower MMR than you actually would be if you were not flexing.

Also the game gets less and less accurate info on you if you flex. If I have a scout observing me on my job every day, he could clearly define my skill in the job. However if he also has to evaluate the way I go to work, go shopping, buying groceries, fo sports, sleep, watch tv etc, he will jave lots of information he might not be able to properly process thus, screwing up your sr and matchmaking.

Again, I’m not sure yet about this but I’ve been flexing to heroes I’m very comfortable with (there’s a lot of them) and I got a losing streak of 9, agian not one of them was close, it was always steamrolls (us not even taking a tic and them taking less than 30s to do so, or them getting a full push with 3-5min left and us not even taking a single tic/point etc.)

I suspect this will go on for at least the 3 next games until I stabilize the process by one tricking only that one hero. And after that I think my wonration will probably get back and close to 50%.

We’ll see.

1 Like

This is your problem. It sounds like you’re just not very good at flexing. For instance, if, like you said, you’re playing pharah as a distraction because they don’t have any hitscans…if they don’t have any hitscans, you should be DOMINATING with pharah. If your main contribution is distracting in the air so your tracer has an easier time…well, that’s not good.

But it’s not some secret matchmaking system that is all of a sudden placing you with bad teammates because your personal stats are poor. It’s more likely that your teammates just look worse because you’re playing worse.

It’s hard to play all characters at the same level of play. This is one of the reasons that people have multiple accounts. With my main account, I pretty much only play 2 characters. I also have an account that’s ranked lower, which I use to play most other characters on. There are some characters that I’m just not good enough with to play on my main account. Some people even have multiple accounts, one for each character, all ranked differently.

Baader-Meinhof phenomenon… humans are very good at picking up what they think are patterns and once we lock on to something we tend to keep seeing more stuff that confirms we have a pattern. Even if there is no pattern.
Sort of like if you want to buy a certain make of car, you start to see them everywhere.

same idea…
and if you watch the dev talks from before the idea of MMR and SR is you have a MMR number that is what the game things you are player wise and a public SR number. SR moves quickly, MMR moves slowly and the system will keep trying to pull the numbers closer to each other.
but match making wise all that maters is the team average.
As for why the game or teams feel so rangy, it’s just a whole lot of factor that go into 6 players making a team. The lower your SR, the more inconsistent the players and the harder it is to have them all click together.

yet all the SR ranges still run into team work issue, it’s just the nature of the game.

So, what does that mean? If my SR is 1800 but my MMR is 1700 I’ll get donkey team mates to drag me down to 1700? Sure seems that way…

OP: I had exactly the same experience in season 9. I had bad placements and dropped 150 SR. Then went on a massive loss streak to 1700. And, my God, some of my team mates. Classic example; I wish I’d recorded it as none of you guys would believe your fckking eyes:

Anubis. I’m Orisa. Enemy attacks 6 through right room. I kill 3 of them with dakka through choke. My dps are absent on flanking adventures or something. Enemy Mercy rezzes enemy Reaper. I reposition barrier towards that flank. My team arrives and then proceeds to run through my barrier and fight the enemy team in the small room. Reaper rips them a new a-hole. I sat there stunned as I’d never seen such fckk witted stupidity in my team mates even when back at 1300 bronze in season 4.

Suffice to say that I gave up tanking at silver. I started to massage my MMR. I played Moira and in one game managed to go 43-4. Still lost as my team was bad, but by golly my MMR got helped. Got coaching off the forums and improved my Lucio and Moira play.

Then it happened. The magic began. Absolutely godlike team mates. Loads of wins that were 3-0 spawn camp stompings vs. vastly inferior opposition. Had a circa 80% win rate and climbed 300 SR super quick.

Last game of the season was the best example of the matchmaker blatantly favouring me: Defence on Dorado. We were spawn camping them like bosses. Then disaster! Our Soldier disconnects and never rejoins. We’re 5v6.
I was initially really annoyed. But then I noted that even though they did push it to end, it took them a long time.

I was positive on our attack phase. And sure enough we got it there. Our Mei was a fukking god, never dying and walling like a boss. Our Sombra was hacking and fragging like a boss. Our Zen was popping off. We got it there.

Then for the decider, one of their team got salty and left and we won it 4-3.
With my awesome team mates I managed 20k healing and 30 kills with Lucio as we played as a solid team and enemy were so inferior, despite us being 5v6.

That game was blatantly set up by the matchmaker to be a 3-0 stomp for my team. And was only vaguely fair due to the disconnect making it 5v6.

TLDR: Massage your stats. Get a good kd ratio. If your stats are bad you’ll be given donkey team mates to drag you down.

Their system is so extremely flawed and not well thought out. From what I gathered during my 11 seasons of play every solution to problems these developers came up with ended up hurting the game and experience more than it fixed it. It’s like for every action there’s a reaction, but the reaction made things much worse than the actions intent. I don’t think these developers are the brightest. They come up with solutions, but they don’t critically think in depth and question their solutions and why it may not be a good idea. Instead, it’s almost as if they encounter a problem and someone says, well we could do this, here’s all the reasons why this is a good idea, and they just run with it. It makes sense at the time, but they don’t want to put too much thought into it.

Grouping people based on hidden stats and mmr is a horrible idea and can be abused as everything else that has been abused in the past with decisions that were made in this game. It’s not accurate and wasn’t really well thought out.

It just means that a person has to perform consistently higher to move their MMR up. Anyone you are playing with in game right now at a given SR is your equal in the eyes of the system. The fact that you don’t click well together as a team is more of a human element that the match maker can’t see.
It’s why higher SR games fall a part to poor team work too.

Just watch a few of the OWL players stream. They lose rounds in the same exact way as everyone else. Surefour ends up on tank even when he is a DPS OWL player, then he doesn’t get any heals. His team doesn’t fallow up on weak players.
It not the match maker, it’s just the players.

2 Likes

Depends on how you are flexing. The system compares your stats on a hero to others playing the same hero at your level. So being very good on a single hero gives you buffed stats. But only playing a hero when they are in an extremely benefitial map, comp, or counter also buffs your stats allot.

So if you spread yourself too thin your probably only hurting yourself, I’d recommend staying at 5 or more often below.

Next the more universally useful your main is the less other characters you need. So if you main mercy for example, she fits into every comp on every map vs every comp and is often the most optimal choice. So as long as you have something serviceable for when there are two mercy mains that should be all you need.

1 Like

i flexed my way to masters and i dont have such major streaks ever lol. i usually stop after losing 2-3 games in a row, but it feels like streaks are more because you keep playing with the same people in a period of time. heres a smart thing gm players practice but never really tell others. queue dodge.

1 Like

either winstreaks or trying to consistantly win 2 out of every 3 games

Sorry, I wasn’t referring to bad team fits, or even lack of skill. I’m referring to team mates that display zero common sense whatsoever. So much so as to make you wonder how they even hold a controller without trying to eat it, or that they can power on their PS4.

In gold: Rein decides to solo spawn camp enemy team and dies. Same Rein then proceeds to yolo charge at every opportunity with no sign of waiting for team to group up. Enemy Hanzo has 5 ults in 5 minutes thanks to Feedhardt.
On Hanamura 3 of our team decide to 3v6 enemy team outside theirt spawn and all die. We lose point in the resultant 3v6. Our Ana (Only other person on comms) couldn’t believe the slack jawed stupidity of our team mates.
Team instalocks 3 off tanks and 2 dps. I pick Moira to try to keep them all up. Team gets to point then splits to the 4 winds.

Trouble is that I’m down in silver as I don’t frag out. I’m down in silver as I don’t get kills. They’re down in silver as they have zero common sense.
I climbed rapidly with Torb in season 4, getting quad gold games and doing great with 65% win rate. 650 sr in 10 hours. Then maintained same rank (2350) for 4 seasons playing Orisa and healers to help the team.

Now I’m back in silver I’m playing loads of death match so that I can get more kills myself. I can’t trust my dps to do their jobs (4 minute game our Tracer didn’t break 2.4k damage). I can’t climb if I’m tanking and getting silver damage as Rein and our Zen is getting gold damage as our dps is trash.
So, I’m gonna do like I did several seasons back. Just blast my way back up.

Your profile doesn’t show that you flex, it shows that you mainly play one hero.