šŸ’” Bastion ISNā€™T being forgotten, heā€™s being ignored

Donā€™t you know?

Didnā€™t you hear??

Bastion will teleport behind you with a Rein stuck to his face while being healed beyond his health pool before you even leave the spawn room.

We need more counters for this terrible overpowered hero.

some players must have nightmares of me flanking them as Bastion.

Also bait thread is active. no bites but i expect a few by morning my time.

1 Like

I feel personally attacked but thatā€™s how it would go down.

After years of complaining about how much ironclad is a buff to healers itā€™ll be a cold day in hell when the appreciation for it replaced with a mechanic which works so well on other heroes is louder than the moral panic over Bastion getting anything else that is good.

That works so well on other heroes being how other heroes like Doomfist, Hammond and Torb have their toughness situationally increased not by damage reduction but by extra health on top of normal HP.

3 Likes

This orisa change thoā€¦

I smile. yes.

1 Like

What Orisa change?

1 Like

Apparently this one on the PTR

Finally she can use 200 iq and use both of her hands at the same time.

after so many yearsā€¦

2 Likes

I wish Bastionā€™s very clearly real bullets could impact heads.

I wish this game actually had some semblance of balanceā€¦
Itā€™s not that iā€™m fighting for realism, just in a game where a robot horse can finally use either hand individually for each ability, and energy based weapons can hit for more damage, I would expect that the clearly shown real physical bullets that you see ON SCREEN during reload, would actually act the same.

Iā€™ve been waiting for this change for a long time.

Baptiste is also getting buffs to which will help Bastion out. More healing ammo and longer amp matrix.

1 Like

I dont see many baptists tho.

maybe because theres not many healers to begin withā€¦

1 Like

Imagine such a thing, a hero whose bullets conspicuously couldnā€™t deal extra damage on headshot cough-fanthehammer-cough were to be given buffs of any sort, elsewhere, to compensate?

McCree can now just aim for body shots and kill 200HP heroes within 0.8 sec out to a range of 21m. No headshots needed. No continual tracking needed.

Now Iā€™ve tested Bastionā€™s minigun against 200HP bots who freeze when they get close to the cart, this eliminates the skill factor and assumes you have inhumanly good perfect continual tracking aim. Pace out 21m using Bastionā€™s primary fire to count the exact time heā€™d move 21m. Bastionā€™s time to kill with perfect crosshair placement is now longer than McCree just spamming bodyshots.

Bastion is taking all these downsides of immobility, for what?

Itā€™s a poison chalice, it disproportionately helps Bastion in bunker comps which means everyone acts like he canā€™t have any buffs. buff that could help him outside of bunker comps.

Which is just reinforcing a really boring playstyle that is overwhelmingly disliked. Itā€™s not a dynamic playstyle, itā€™s too dependant on the enemy team just being incompetent.

Orisa doesnā€™t even need Bastion, her pickrate is rising and has been steadily rising for 6 months even though Bastionā€™s pickrate has flatlined.

1 Like

To play Bastion, is to not only enter a gun fight with only a knife, but to tie your hands behind your back, hold the knife in your teeth, and wear weighted shoes to ensure you arenā€™t allowed to move too much.

And then still be called ā€œOverpoweredā€

This is honestly why i feel that Bastion mains in particular excel in the role of damage dealer, or simply DPS since while playing our mains we are LITERALLY making it as hard as possible for ourselves.

3 Likes

I know what theyā€™ll say ā€œwell Bastionā€™s at least better in close rangeā€

No he isnā€™t, heā€™s now within flashbang range or within range of powerful shotgun blasts, or charge range, hook range, hack range or junk mine throw range.

Junkrat can kill Bastion with a Grenade Mine Grenade combo in 0.65 of a second. That grenade damage buff was supposed to help him against tanks!

1 Like

Firstlyā€¦ why does flashbang even effect a Bastion when in Sentry mode?

Surely lore wise thatā€™s where the most chaos is.
The most flashing and literal explosions, yet Bastion jumps like Mei being scared by ghost-snowball.

Flashbang is mostly meant to limit an enemyā€™s movementā€¦ heā€™s already not moving, and being stunned while NOT MOVING is just over kill.

And secondly, with the fact that Junkā€™s mines/nades donā€™t make sound while in the air, iā€™ve even seen junkā€™s aim properly to arc them super high above everyone, just to land all onto you, even while you attack him, before you can ever possibly realize theyā€™re a threat.

ALSO also, Will playing Bastion just literally be the dumbest possible thing after these cree changes go to live?

Because lets be honest theyā€™re going to live whether or not we give feedback, and honestly itā€™s worse than or as bad as stormarrows.

1 Like

Hereā€™s my write up on the shots to kill testing I mentioned earlier

Click HERE for text dump

Method

Go on junkertown with all the bots having all their abilities and attacks disabled, as soon as they walk out of the spawn room they freeze in place and do nothing except turn around to face you.

I then pace out a distance of 20m by standing directly next to the frozen bot then facing off in the direction Iā€™m going to shoot. I then look directly down and begin shooting my gun in recon mode at the exact same time I press W. I keep running forward shooting at the ground until Iā€™ve shot 35 rounds.
I then go inspect the bulletholes on the ground and make sure they are starting from right next to the bot and that they extend all the way out to my shooting position, the last bullet hole in that line being the 35th round. I then count the bullet holes back down to 31st bullet hole which would correspond to a distance of 20m.
I tested this method on the Practice range using the 20m markings on the ground. I repeated this rangefinding for each new bot as they didnā€™t all freeze in the exact same position.

Now that Iā€™m at my range I perfectly aligned my crosshairs and then started a screen capture program to record the firing. I then went back over the video frame by frame to see on what shot count on my minigun they ā€œred skullā€ symbol popped up.

Results:

Shots to kill Ana: 30 shots = 46% hit rate = 1.0 second time to kill
Shots to kill Lucio: 29 shots = 48% hit rate = 0.96sec time to kill
Shots to kill McCree: 25 shots = 56% hit rate = 0.83 sec TTK
Shots to kill Mei: 35 shots = 48% hit rate = 1.16sec TTK
Shots to kill Soldier: 33 shots = 42% hit rate = 1.1sec TTK
Shots to kill Zenyatta: 31 shots = 45% hit rate = 1.03sec TTK
Zarya (no bubble) shots to kill: 44 shots = 61% hit rate = 1.46 TTK
Sombra: 31 shots = 45% hit rate = 1.03sec TTK
overloading Torb: 41 shots = 63% hit rate = 1.36 sec TTK

As a side test, I positioned myself where a frozen McCree bot was partially obscured by the payload (just his lefd torso) and the ground covered his legs below the knees, 20m away. It took 49 shots to frag that bot, an effective hit rate of only 28%. Just a little bit of cover has such a huge effect.

Note: I had to restart match a few times as I forgot to disable some botā€™s abilities.

Conclusion

This is what only 20m does to Bastionā€™s effective damage even if you have theoretically perfect tracking, youā€™re not imagining things, even when aim perfectly youā€™re not dealing close to 450DPS. Against a hero with a hitbox the size of Soldier youā€™re dealing only about 190DPS.

Particularly note the time to kill on Ana, she has plenty of time to get off a sleep dart.

McCree can kill in only 3 bodyshots, dealt in 1.0 seconds currently, soon to be dealt in only 0.8 sec with his upcoming fire-rate buff. Ashe has hipfire into 2 ADS shots for a 0.95 sec time to kill on 200HP heroes. Widow can just land a fully charged bodyshot then charge up to 63% charge shot with only 0.97sec delay between each shots. Similar with Hanzo charging up a shot after a 125 damage arrow.

So Bastion incurs huge downsides of immobility for a Time to Kill on par with most other DPS heroes.

Bastion is in a precarious situation, he needs to position himself at such an ideal range, too far and the spread kills his damage, too close and heā€™s too easily swarmed and vulnerable to close range CC.

The vulnerabilities of close range are inherent, he needs a substantial buff in long range effectiveness. And the cause is not the damage falloff per bullet, itā€™s the spread, how it (1) starts out so large and (2) takes so long to shrink by (3) such a small proportion.

1 Like

Can this thread be locked? Because it is ancient and out of date.

no

its not its an active thread concerning the present state of Bastion and the present state of bastion. It is a hard reminder that some heroes are just ignored due to the perceived ideas from the Devs that they are to hard to balance.

5 Likes

Maybe because they have the data and see he is balanced? Maybe the concerns around Bastion is what is wrongly perceived, and people should move on. He is not viable on everything, but that should be true with all other heroes as well.
He had plenty of buffs and still people complain that he is ā€œignoredā€.

Iā€™m getting back into Overwatch as of recent and won a good game with Bastion on attack at Blizz World, sooo my opinion isnā€™t worth a lot. But Bastion has, iā€™m pretty sure, the fasted attack rate in the game. Head shot or no, you can deal a ridiculous amout of damage in the right moments.

I was getting these super good spots with Bastion during the game, bursting through Reinhardt and maybe Orisa.

And maybe Iā€™m responding to old news or whatever, but players need to avoid the bubble speak. It should never be about how fast or slow Bastion alone can tear through Reinhardtā€™s barrier. People say stuff like this, using their bubble equations, like no one else is hitting the barrier or providing offense. Bastion may have the highest input of damage in these cases, but every little bit helps.

By the way, does anyone else use a tactic I learned, which is to do the side jump transformation? Why go sentry mode while completely out in the open when you can jump out and change in midair, thus giving yourself lower downtime and firing up quicker?

Thatā€™s like, the first thing you learn in Bastion 101.

Tell me when you got to the 50 meter drop transformation.

Also yea, of course Bastion will excel in team formations Every hero does.
But the poor robot still cannot take on a Tracer in a 1v1 anymore.