Bastion is underpowered / change my mind

Okay, he’s decent on one map. Unless they get you off the cart, in which case he’s no longer good on that map. Situational is fine. His “situation” being “Shield breaker, and that’s it, no real damage to enemies” is not fine.

2 Likes

Unlike Soldier, Bastion doesn’t have a helix rocket. Bastion has no way to deal burst damage that overwhelms healers while in Recon mode. He also has the size of Roadhog without the health pool, making him a whole lot more vulnerable than Soldier. Bastion also has less in-combat uptime because his heal interrupts his damage. Soldier can heal and do damage at the same time.

Don’t play Bastion like Soldier: 76 if you want to actually win. Just play Soldier: 76. He’s objectively better than Recon Bastion.

The day Bastion’s Recon mode becomes a worthy alternative to Soldier: 76 is the day Soldier: 76 dies. Recon is just a tool meant to compliment Bastion’s primary mode: Sentry. Sentry mode IS Bastion. It is what defines the hero as a unique entity, as the only hero who gives up all mobility for raw damage output.

The catch, and the reason why Bastion is weak, is because Sentry mode is weak. It lacks the necessary potency to make up for the total lack of mobility. With the Bastion rework, Bastion damage in Sentry mode was reduced by more than 50%. That’s an enormous nerf. The compensation was 35% Ironclad, but we couldn’t have that so Ironclad was nerfed without any compensation.

The result is a Sentry mode that doesn’t have enough survivability or enough damage to be a significant threat. That is the problem with Bastion, and the players can’t fix that problem. The devs have to.

1 Like

So he dies super fast and he needs babysitting? That doesn’t sound right. In any game where a hero is focused that much they’re supposed to be dangerous enough to warrant it. Except he can’t hit anything at normal mid ranges.

1 Like

The only reason is they can’t leave the payload to go to him.

Except most things outdamage or outlast his self heal. Also for the most part when someone says he’s underpowered it’s directed at sentry.

And it doesn’t work most of the time.

Then what’s the point? You pick Bastion for sentrymode not for a knockoff Soldier gun.

To the people wondering how he’s underpowered, it’s his accuracy…

Sombra used to be at a 3° spread angle, but they found that it was too large, so they reduced it. Sombra is meant to get point blank with her invisibility, and then shoot her enemies from there, so her spread doesn’t really matter all too much. But even still, they decided to reduce her spread.

Bastion cannot move while in Sentry mode. The only way he’s going to get closer to his enemies is if they get closer to him. Unless you’re suggesting that he run in with Recon mode, and spend an entire second transforming right in front of the enemy, he can’t close the distance. Yet he still has a 3° spread angle… He need to go back to his old spread. A lack of headshots is workable, but a forced 50% or lower accuracy at anything beyond 20 meters is not.

Why isn’t he underpowered? No meta has favored him, pirateship can still be destroyed with a bit of coordination, most heroes counter him both in and out of his effective range (which is almost nothing for a mid range hitscan.)

Bastion is fine, don’t change my mind.

With an attitude like that you aren’t going to go very far in life.

1 Like

I don’t think he’s underpowered, just kinda niche and underplayed. A well-protected Bastion is still difficult to deal with. I’ve seen some pretty decent Bastions before, they are actually pretty hard to kill. I had to solo ult them on Pharah.

That is a pretty dumb conclusion there. He works on 1 map out of 18 maps I can remember and only on attack and not even then sometimes. What are the odds that will happen often? Pretty much non existent because he doesn’t have even 1% pickrate anywhere but bronze and silver and he has a negative winrate there.

When was the last time you had a good Bastion in your game? The Bastion has to be good, doesn’t get countered, and their comp doesn’t lose. That doesn’t happen as often as people like to think.

So barely played because most dps are better than him everywhere else? That sounds underpowered.

Whenever I do that it’s because there’s a healer pocketing him. It kills both.

The thread title is “Bastion is underpowered/ change my mind”

You said this:

Very different.

1 Like

Bear in mind you gotta build a proper comp around him. I see Bastions getting countered often not because he’s weak, but because they don’t set him up correctly and/or the player themselves play him incorrectly.

I’ve won with Bastion myself or having him in my team before in games that were going extremely bad for us. I told my team what to do and how to do it, and we clutched out Numbani with the enemy having a 7 min advantage.

I like to think of it like a scale, he has more dps for less survivability so if you want to make him survive easier then reduce his damage, I mean he can out dps trans without any boosting.

If you want to hit mid range shots just use recon form gun.

The issue is his skill ceiling, although it’s high as you’re pointing out, it simply doesn’t reward you as much as being mediocre at other heroes. I can play the best Bastion I possibly could but then they just pick Hanzo or Zen. Now even the worst player ever can pretty much guaranteed kill him.