Bastion doesn't have a say in any fight. Here's why. ⚠

Let’s list how the heroes that, somewhat, directly, and harshly counter Bastion, do what they do.
(Please do not use this as a drinking game, you will die within moments)

And perhaps turn this into (Yet another) Hub for Bastion discussion?

Welcome… to the guide for killing/defeating Bastion, with any hero.

And the reasons why:

Ana

Ana has many ways to shut down a Bastion instantly… some hard, some soft.

Firstly, we must state that she can lock off a sightline as well as any other hitscan for and against you.

Sleep-Dart:
Otherwise named “Instant respawn bullet” Will remove you from your only defense, and leave you open to any and all attack.

Anti-Nade:
It may be hard for some to land, similar to Ashe’s dynamite, but when you do land it… it means all damage done to the Bastion cannot be reverted. It’s a death sentence if applied to Bastion, especially if you are caught out trying to use Sentry Mode.

Nano-Boost:
Her ultimate is especially painful as it makes an enemy, usually a Tank, nearly indestructable, while you sit waiting for death tickling them.

Is that Ana’s problem? Definitely not. She’s a strong counter.

Ashe

Ashe may not seem like a direct counter as much, but she is painful. so she gets the “Painful” Mark of approval.

She has consistent damage output from range that you cannot negate or even deter unless you stand up, making your head hitbox her next target.

Dynamite:
Her dynamite, be it a rather precise tool, can be painful when trying to keep any armor on your healthbar, and usually makes Bastion’s own healing resource useless. Why is that? You have two options. Heal or shoot. Usually too keep yourself alive, you heal through the DOT damage, which means you usually get focused harder, and now you’ve just lost time.

Aside from this, healers will be heavily countered by the blast… and as Bastion is useless without a Mercy and someone else strapped to his back at all times, your own healers will avoid standing too close to you if they know the Ashe is looking for a group to blow up.

Coach gun:
Not a strong counter, no… but as a Tank sized hero, you must at all times be careful of re-positioning near an Ashe or a ledge of any kind. You will be hit by it’s effect, and thus CC’d off of something.

B.O.B:
Oh Bob… we all love you Bob, but sometimes i feel like i want to die when i see you coming… thankfully, i always get my wish.

B.O.B Is a target-able anti-Bastion Tank, a third one for your team.
And unless the Bastion is completely uncontested and being healed, he stands little chance against one at any range.

Baptiste

Here we go… the bap boi himself.

Firstly, again he has consistent damage from range, which may only be slightly annoying, but we must then factor in the fact that he can create indestructible heroes, from around corners.

Immortality field:
It may not have much health, but when placed around corners, that doesn’t much matter… and the more aggressive Bap’s will use it in line of sight, because they know something most people seem to forget. Once you place it down, you have to take your attention off of him and his team, to destroy it. It’s the same as stunning a Bastion, as you basically can’t do anything until it’s gone, unless you run for the hills.

Amplification matrix:
You cannot and will not ever face tank damage coming from a matrix.
Do not try.
If you hear it being deployed, run for the hills immediately.
As it enables anyone behind it, to hit your massive Tank sized hitbox for double damage, from any range.

Assuming you are facing a Baptiste, you should immediately switch heroes as with coordination, he has a button which will end in your death, on low cooldown.

Enemy Bastion

:open_mouth: Stop the presses! He counters something in this game?
Yes, when facing an enemy Bastion your movements must be exact or you will fall… it’s entirely feast or famine. There is no counter play, as if you attack a second later than him, you die. That’s it. It’s as simple as that.

So avoid a mirror match at all costs, unless you know exactly how to play angles and somehow enter an enemy’s field of view before they see you.

Brigitte

Now, don’t get me wrong, Brigitte is not a strong counter… at all.
But let’s list the ways she does directly counter Bastion:

Armor-Packs:
She allows for even the squishiest of heroes, such as Genji and Tracer, to become fast semi-Tanks in an instant.

It is very very risky to play a Bastion against a Brigitte as it’s again, feast or famine. You will either farm her all game, or she and her team will do the same to you.

Shield bash:
It may not last long, but Bastion being the frail small rusted robot he is, loses all idea that he isn’t flesh and blood and is stunned by a whap to his frontside.

And what do we always say?
“A stunned Bastion is a dead Bastion!”

Rally:
While rallying the Brigitte herself can actually 1v1 you.
Yes, you read that correctly. And she may not get the kill herself, but in an instant she becomes a mini-Tank herself, and requires your full attention. Which that in of itself, usually ends in your death.

D,Va

Now, don’t get me wrong, D,Va may not be a strong counter, but she’s much more useful than you may think.

Firstly, her primary fire is only useful against you when you’re overwhelmed, it’s not very strong in normal circumstances.

Then we have the problem child…

Defense-Matrix:
Have you ever wanted to have no effect at all and no choice in the matter, allowing your team an opening to directly counter you in a multitude of ways?
Look no further! It’s range usually extends over your own dangerous zones, and even though it has a low resource, all it takes is a coordinated team to negate you for a few seconds. Afterwards, you should pay your respects to your new overlords from the spawn room.

I nearly forgot about these…

Micro-Missiles:
Ah yes, the Micro-Missiles.
They can effectively chip you from afar, but are most effective at close range, where they make healing extremely difficult. It allows D,Va to effectively dive you, when distracted. Often times making it nearly impossible to fight back, assuming her team coordinates.

Self-Destruct:
It may seem less logical to list this… but hear me out.
Good D,Va’s know to track shield placement and replacement, and enemy team management/positioning.

As you have to remain stationary to deal any worth while damage, she can and will take advantage of the first opportunity to launch an exploding vehicle in your direction. As Bastion is rather… slow… it’s unlikely you will survive if she played her cards correctly.

Doomfist

MrFister is honestly a mini-Tank when compared to other heroes, and as easily as he is killed at times, he can pose a major threat in the right hands.

Shield-Health:
For every ability that Doomfist lands, he gains shields. When fighting a Bastion, he is guaranteed to land abilities. Making him just that much harder to kill.

Hand-Cannot:
Using his incorrect hand, doom shoots multiple annoyance pellets at his enemies. This is mostly effective after having gotten within fisting range, and can chip a large amount of health off of a stationary target, aside from any other ability alone.

Seismic-Slam/Uppercut:
“But Fox, these are barely anything! And he stays still for a split second now!”
I hear you. But a good doom, can still perform a rather deadly combo against Bastion, utilizing these abilities, while also becoming the only thing you should focus on, again a hero suddenly demanding Bastion’s full attention even if it gets him killed.

Aside from this, assuming you’ve been forced to move, they become a hell of a lot more dangerous, usually allowing a doomfist to dispatch with a Bastion rather easily when used in conjunction with the pebbles he throws at you.

Rocket-Fist:
This is feast or famine, and risky… but we don’t know doomfist players to respect risk now do we?

This is the basis behind his main counter, his combo.
It’s iffy how effective it can be in the average person’s hands, but i’ve died to many a doomfist punching me to scrap metal before i can even react.

Meteor-Strike:
Let’s be honest… it may be risky, but any doomfist who dies to a Bastion after having used meteor strike, did something wrong, or attacked at too risky of a time. It destroys an unprotected Bastion, with very little reaction time allowed.

Genji

Oh poor Genji…
Let’s start off slow for him.

Shuriken:
These do not have drop off. As in, he can lock off a sightline as easily as an Ana or an Ashe, at any distance. They hurt. And he will poke you with them. Constantly.
So they may not be a huge threat, but they are annoying and painful.

Deflect:
Now let’s be honest here once again, a good Bastion never shoots a reflecting Genji, yet it remains powerful against him… why?

Firstly, your team shoot him.
They do.
Please stop shooting the Genji.

But secondly, it’s impossible to tell when he is about to bring up his smaller sword and deflect damage, so often times some damage will be applied to you no matter what. It remains strong against Bastion.

Swift-Strike/Cybernetic-Mobility:
Are they strong as they are?
Hell no.

Are they annoying and painful for a few reasons?
Hell yes.

There is no reliable way to tell where he is going, so if one starts circling you like the hawks that intend to feast upon your rotting corpse, you will likely just take more and more poke damage until you either have to leave, or commit. And if you commit to that fight, you will likely have lost already.

Dragon-Blade:
It may not be largely strong on it’s own… but is often pared with Nano-Boost.
My argument will not be focusing on that pairing, as it costs two ultimates in one.

It’s very powerful against a stationary object… and usually allows the Genji to out-damage you before you can effectively fight back.

I wouldn’t have any issue with it, if he wasn’t allowed to use other abilities at the same time.

(Disclaimer: I am not suggesting changes to Genji, i believe it is a rather balanced interaction, Bastion still needs the ability to actually fight back at the end of the day, which i do not believe he can do well at all.)

Hanzo

Hanzo… hanzo… it is not simple nor geometry, Hanzo…

Sonic-Arrow:
This one is simple… it may not be a counter, but the Hanzo will know exactly where you are when engaging. Exactly. Where. You. Are.

Oh, and so will his entire team.

Lunge:
“How dare you say that movement is a counter to Bastion!”
It is not an inherent counter in of itself… but it turns Hanzo into a flanker that you cannot face head on, in any direction.

Storm-Arrows:
This in lies Hanzo’s biggest problem… specifically against Bastion.
Even after the nerfs on the PTR, what we end up with a very dead Bastion.
Why? Why would it still kill Bastion?
If the Hanzo fires an arrow before he starts using it, that hits Bastion one split second before the rest, usually giving you zero time to react or move.
Aside from the fact that Hanzo will remove whatever shields you do try to hide behind.

Dragon-Strike: (Wow a lot of things “Strike” in this game, huh?)
Dragon strike isn’t as bad as it once was in this game… we at least know how to counter and dodge it, but a good Hanzo can still screw over any good Bastion with it, as a zoning ultimate. If it’s used against a “Pirate ship” The ship suddenly sinks… yes, you may all just move off of it, but you’ll never get back on.

Junkrat

I love Junkaboi. I really do… but it pains me to die to one constantly and realize there was nothing i could do about it.

Let’s delve into why…

Frag-Launcher/Concussion-Mines/Total-Mayhem:
This should be obvious… they are annoying as hell. It may not kill you instantly or often, but Junk can attack you from any angle he sees fit.

And the biggest issue… once he jumps into the air, you cannot hear him well.
And for Bastion, that means having to watch the air constantly for suicidal Junkrats. Once they jump, they can start shooting and land on your head alongside around three or four grenades. Usually, it’s death. And if that doesn’t kill you, your team will. Once they kill him while he’s hugging you, you’re either seriously injured or dead.

Bear-Trap:

What do we always say?

But there is one single line of defense against it… entering Sentry Mode the moment you’re trapped. Unless i’m wrong, this usually breaks it’s hold on you. But then you have another problem… you’ve locked yourself to the ground.

Rip-Tire:
Now, there is counter play… don’t get me wrong, but that tire is fast… and good Junks will know ways to deliver them by air, and in unexpected ways.

It’s rather balanced, but hard to counter. As it should be… an ultimate.
But extra punishing to Bastion, as you cannot run away.

Lucio

“How could my froggy boi ever hurt a Bastion??”
More than you think.

Sonic-Amplifier:
No falloff, making it another way to shut off sightlines directly against a Bastion… that may not be strong, but remember this… against a Lucio, as any hero, but most importantly Bastion, you will be booped around. Which often leads to your death.

Sound-Barrier:
It may not last long, and may not be that strong, but when used at opportune moments, can turn the tide of the entire match against you. When used with Tanks in your general line of sight, they become extremely hard to kill before they send you to the spawn room.

Don’t get me wrong, please, it’s not that strong… but i must remind you, it also focuses Bastion’s attention directly on the first hero to attack him, which means he cannot defend himself against anything else, while the whole team is effected.

Is it unbalanced? No.
Is it specifically strong in a unique way against Bastion?
Yes, thus i listed it.

Mccree

Mccrizzle is a problem no matter what, nowadays… but i still love him.

Peace-Keeper/Flash-Bang:
It may have falloff, but within that range it can be punishingly consistent against a Bastion… but that’s not what we’re here to talk about.

First strategy:
Roll towards the Bastion, FtH, Flash, FtH. Dead Bastion.

Second strategy:
FtH (Coming around a corner, or closing the distance some other way) Roll, Flash, FtH. Dead Bastion.

Dead-Eye:
Not particularly strong, but leaves you with a choice… stay behind a shield that is likely to fall before he fires, or run… likely being caught in his line of sight before you get away. Bastion is slow.

Mei

Satan herself… (We love you Mei)

Endothermic-Blaster:
What do we always say?
“A stunned Bastion is a dead Bastion”
And a frozen one has less of a chance, no matter what form he takes.
It may be argued that she needs to get close, but i’ll get to that…

The other issue is, no falloff on her secondary fire.
Which means another way to lock off sightlines in short and medium range against you.

Cryo-Freeze/Ice-Wall:

Firstly, cryo-freeze allows the Mei to not only get close, but to stay close to you, uneffected until she wants to attack… while healing. It means you must devote your entire attention to her, no matter what.

And secondly, her wall allows her to close the distance as even for Bastion it’s hard to shoot down. And aside from simply cutting you off from her sightline so she can close the distance, there’s all sorts of ways she will cause your death. Raising you into the sky, or walling you from your own team.

Blizzard: (It’s the name of the ability, please have mercy.)
And this should be simple to explain… it’s an inescapable situation for the Bastion. You freeze, you die, game over. Even if you’re in Sentry Mode, you stay frozen long enough to have zero chance.

It’s better to stop playing at all if you see a Mei while you’re playing Bastion.

Mercy

“Hey, did you just say Mercy has a way to counter Bastion? Are you serious?”
As serious as wanting mass rez back.

Caduceus-Blaster:
Yet another infinite range no-falloff poke gun.

Resurrect:
Now i don’t want to get started on Mercy’s own imbalance… but let’s be honest, i just killed your teammate through pure skill… i don’t need to be focused down by them again before the team fight ends.

I hate this abomination…
Valkyrie:
Infinite ammo + Flight
Bastion usually stands zero chance, without pixel perfect aim.
And even then, it’s iffy.

It could be argued that Mercy’s ability to damage boost allies is a counter to Bastion, but let’s not split every hair on her head.

Moira

“Did you really just claim tha-”
Yes.

She can be… annoying… but not a struggle to fight most of the time.

Biotic-Grasp/Biotic-Orb[Damage]:

These may not seem like a likely “Counter” to Bastion, but hell are they annoying…
Remember that healing resource you had? Best keep those memories, because you wont be seeing it for a long time.

Coalescence:
Now it may not be strong when facing healing on your side, but it passes through any shields you may or may not have. Remember that healing resource? Yea… it’s gone. So is your tiny amount of armor, while you’re focusing other targets.

Orisa

Cow mom is well loved, but very annoying at times… sadly.
She may not be as strong, definitely not as annoying after the next patch, unless changes are made after this post… but still annoying.

Fusion-Driver:
Blah blah blah, infinite range, no falloff, hurts.

Fortify:
LET ME SHOOT YOU.
This means Bastion should pretty much not even keep shooting her, while she’s golden. It does nearly nothing.

Protective-Barrier:
Not much can be said, it’s been nerfed and is much less effective, but still means she has a wall of extra HP between you and her. Taking one on directly, is risky at best still.

Super-Charger:
Now this is one most people would disregard, and say it’s an ultimate and should be strong… and it is. But even more so against stationary targets.

If she places the charger, you should honestly just run. Facing it head on will end in your death, unless everything about Orisa is focus fired at the time.

Pharah

Oh Pharah… you’re welcomed in Bastion’s unbalanced bar, for refreshments and similar company.

She may not be strong right now, at all, but she’s strong against one hero in particular.

Rocket-Launcher: (A very imaginative name… guess it reflects her lore.)
Let’s be honest… it’s another infinite range poke gun, that just hits harder. And as it’s hard to hear the rockets themselves from longer ranges, the Bastion will often be hit by multiple before he even knows to move or defend himself.

Concussive-Blast:
“Okay, now you’re just splitting hairs! Poor Mercy!!”
For Pharah, i decided this was important to list… see, Pharah excels at making you pick up and move… and when you move, you’re able to be booped around. This means the ability is a constant threat, meaning you have to be constantly conscious of where you are in relation to anything potentially harmful, even while running away for your life after having your only defense negated from afar.

Is it balanced? Yes.
Does it hurt? Hell yes.

Barrage:
This is the one that either goes very badly, or very well.
She may be locked in place just like you, but she’s suddenly dealing more damage than you could ever hope to… most heroes have the privilege of being able to run or hide, not Bastion… a surprise barrage will tear the bot to shreds nearly every time.

Reaper

Now this smoky boi is controversial… He is about to be slightly less effective, and i personally hope that helps with his interactions concerning our favorite bot, but it may be wishful thinking.

Hellfire-Shotguns:
These hurt up close, obviously… but in a way, are hard to aim against even Tanks let alone smaller targets… not against Bastion. He will hit many more pellets, dealing much more damage and healing to himself than on any other hero, except for maybe Roadhog.

Wraith-Form/Shadow-Step:
Reaper is slippery… he can get behind you without you ever realizing, and dance in front of you without risk to himself, wraith is often used to jump around and on-top of Bastion’s hitbox, to confuse the player. If there’s a Reaper, there’s a good chance he can and will get behind you.

(I would list death-blossom, as it can be used effectively against a Bastion assuming he is forced to move, but i see no reason as it’s less directly effective against one.)

Reinhardt

We love this man… that is not up for debate.
But damn does he do his job well…

Barrier-Field/Fire-Strike:
One of these things is not like the other… and simple to explain.
Another large HP wall, to help him close the distance on you, and soak up your bullets… many other heroes burn shields faster now, so being stationary only makes you an easier target for the large german man.

Fire-Strike isn’t a hard counter, but a soft one at least… it can pass through barriers and will chip you while you’re already under fire. If you’re overwhelmed by too much at the same moment, it can easily cause or lead to your death as a stationary target.

Charge:
One of the first inescapable abilities on the list…
It can be dodged, and it can be risky for the Rein, but assuming you may not even know which direction he is coming from, or have time to react, you will likely be charged at least once per match.

It wouldn’t hurt as much if, like with a 200HP hero, it simply killed you… no no, it allows the Rein to punish you in the second you’re allowed to move while… pinned to the wall… maybe i should be charged more often…

Earth-Shatter:
Avoidable, yes… but inescapable once applied.
What do we always say?
And one on the ground is no different… even if you were on a payload… it’s the ground now.

Roadhog

The big man himself, he terrifies me just by leaving his spawn room.

Scrap-Gun:
Most effective while up close, but comes with a convenient Bastion-range shot, for making his life worse and shredding any defenses he did have better than even he could.

Take-A-Breather:
Roadhog is given 50% damage reduction, while healing himself. (Bastion wasn’t ever allowed such reductions in damage… they were “OP”) Allowing him to close any gaps in distance to find you before you can ever deter his movements.

Chain-Hook:
Often combo’d with his ultimate for a near instant kill, as apposed to a sorta instant kill, this hook is unavoidable at certain ranges and without shields. When hooked the Bastion will die 100% of the time, without divine intervention, or having the hog stunned in the split moment before reducing your chassis to scrap metal.

Whole-Hog:
When Roadhog is giving you the whole hog, it’s likely at close range, and both Orisa and Bastion share a unique problem with the ultimate… they often cannot be moved, thus taking the full force of the hog’s… whole entire hog.

Sigma

Oh Sigma… no one likes you.
I mean it. No one enjoys facing you. At all.
I am fully aware that he is about to be nerfed in multiple ways, but most of it doesn’t effect his direct effectiveness against Bastion alone.

Hyper-Spheres/Experimental-Barrier:
Why both? Because i said so.

Firstly, HP wall for making it impossible to reach him the moment he brings it up, until it is broken… you may think “just shoot it” But there are problems at hand with a face-tanking approach…

His hyper-spheres hurt… period. They are massive damage to a stationary target, and should be avoided at all costs, as if a sigma is allowed to continuously poke you, you cannot out-heal them yourself.

Kinetic-Grasp:
Shooting him makes him harder to kill.
Explain that one… Not only does it make him harder for you yourself to kill, it means his team has an opening to attack you, while you can do nothing as long as he is in-front of you.

Accretion:
This is bull feces. No joking, nothing else… the interaction with Bastion is inescapable and pure bull feces. If allowed to hit you, it instantly removes you from your only defensive ability… at range, knocking you to the floor.

Gravitic-Flux: (I think you made up that first word… not entirely sure)
Bastion is slow, and immobile. He cannot escape it, once it’s been activated.
The only thing he can do during it, is often attract focus fire and maybe touch the Sigma while he’s in the air… often not enough to kill the enemy sigma, unless in very unique situations.

Soldier: 76

Now this is an interesting interaction… He isn’t impossible to fight or anything, actually regarded as rather useless in most team compositions… but hell does he hurt.

Heavy-Pulse-Rifle/Helix-Rockets: (Hey wait, isn’t that a part of bird person’s lore? Ahh forget it.)

He has consistent damage which is part of what hurts the most… alongside rockets for burst, which when facing a Bastion head on, can allow him to sometimes burst even a Sentry Bastion down, before the Bastion can kill him. A very risky but very rewarding situation…

Biotic-Field/Sprint:
Perhaps the only reason he can face off with a Bastion, and the only reason that running isn’t an option when facing a Soldier: 76.

(I would list his ultimate, but all it honestly does is improve his normal playstyle with an aim that doesn’t miss… not worth mentioning, yea, it’s strong against stationary unprotected targets… whatever.)

Sombra

Finally one of the hardest counters… and least used heroes. and least liked…
The Omnics like you, Sombra. <3 Even when you kill us…

Stealth/Trans-Locator: (I’m right here, you don’t need tech to find me… wait.)
With these abilities, as a Bastion you WILL be found… there is no getting around that. If the enemy have a Sombra, she’s behind you. Right now. Probably.

Machine-Pistol/Hack:
Firstly, the machine pistol could be designed specifically to target Bastion, and i wouldn’t notice a difference. It’s spread and ammo count are punishing… but for one big reason. Hack… It may be hard to get off, but a hacked Bastion is as good as dead, if not worse… staggered.

EMP:
All your base are belong to us.
And your Bastion… yea, he’s hacked again.

Symmetra

“But Chibs, Sym isn’t strong, and rarely works?!?”
She’s on the list.

Photon-Projector/Teleporter/Sentry-Turrets: (Hey… give that back.)
Her primary fire, as less often used as it is, feeds off of the very things that keep you safe. If there’s a barrier, she’s strong… assuming she’s good enough to still be alive. And her turrets make decent TP bombs, when used to TP at you. Making it so you have to devote all attention on the TP and whatever else comes through it.

Aside from this, she can flank and find you easily… causing issues no doubt.

Photon-Barrier:
The big one… the very big one.
This wall negates a Bastion’s usefulness 10,000%
You either have to run so you don’t get killed from behind it, or run behind it and get killed with the enemy team on their side of the map.

Torbjörn

Torby is surprisingly effective against Bastion… much more than he used to be. And a hard counter nowadays.

Rivet-Gun/Overload:
Torbs gun can deny you space from any distance, while also acting as a shotgun at close range… being within his sights usually ends in pain, even if he has nothing else.

Deploy-Turret/Molten-Core:
Torb’s turret isn’t much to worry about, but means you must focus it before nearly anything else, lest it become a problem. Meaning you’re open to attack while dealing with it.

As for molten core… Bastion cannot move fast. At all.
If you’re caught out by it, you melt. Period. And often times it denies space entirely for the poor bot…

It’s strong yes, but very strong against Bastion.

Tracer

Now, Tracer may have low health, but she makes up for it in burst and poke potential.

Blink/Recall/Pistols:
Do these directly counter Bastion? Hell no! But damn are they annoying.
Tracer is more slippery than anything else, and will find you.
Bastion must constantly watch every angle, no matter what.

With her recent range buffs, she can comfortably poke you from a range that doesn’t put her at as much risk… it’s really not risky at all to fight a Bastion, unless he’s pocketed heavily.

Pulse-Bomb:
Pulse bomb… the bane of a Bastion’s existence.
It can be thrown before a blink, thus coming out of nowhere suddenly, and currently leaves Bastion with so little health or none at all, that it’s not worth playing the hero against a Tracer.

Widowmaker

“Wait i’m confused… how does she counter him???”

Well with what she excels at, of course.

Widow’s-Kiss/Grappling-Hook:
Near Infinite sightline lockdown, which is great and okay, but the potential to poke around corners with that same level of threat… with very little risk.

Venom-Mine:
It may not deal much damage, but is hell for keeping armor on your healthbar when not pocketed… while also allowing her to focus on you, and only you.

Infra-Sight:
This may sound like a stretch, but with the enemy being able to keep track of your whereabouts during it’s duration, you are likely to be focused and killed first, if not simply denied and forced to retreat.

Winston

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻
“What could you possibly say about Winston that could counter a Bastion?!?”

Tesla-Cannot:
Okay, Winston has more of a tickle gun than Bastion… much more. And a fat monkey head. But… and this is a tiny stretch, it’s constant damage makes team-fights extremely hard without focusing down the Winston… if you ignore him, he will only server to aid his team in killing you slowly from angles you can’t directly fire at him from. Usually forcing you back, lest you drain your healing resource. Yes, it can be a pain.

Hard counter? No. Definitely not… pain? Yes.

Jump-Pack/Barrier-Projector:
The ONLY reason Winston can survive outside of his ultimate against a Bastion, is being as slippery as a Tracer… moving around and diving with his team, making sure to aid in dislodging the Bastion more than anything. Along with his barrier, that just gives you more HP to sink bullets into, and more chance to be rushed down before you can shoot your way out.

Primal-Rage:
Have you ever had a small fly, or bug, like… buzzing in your ear? This is what Winston’s ultimate is like, for a Bastion… ultimately probably not deadly, but really really hecking annoying… and now it’s the only thing you can focus on, lest you give it power over you. Which gives his team a chance to counter you harder.

Winston is a distraction for his team, with the intention of dislodging and annoying a Bastion… would he die head on? Of course.

Can you win with one against a Bastion? Yes.

Wreckingball

We all know him by his real name, “Hamham”

Hamham can be more of an annoyance than you may think… like Winston, when played correctly, he is meant to dislodge and annoy the Bastion into dying to an outside force.

Quad-Cannot/Grappling-Claw/Roll:
Hamham is very mobile… but doesn’t want to be seen by potential predators for any lengthy amount of time. So, he will keep moving. And against a Bastion, unless he is stopped, he is free to keep moving. Good hamham players know how to abuse this in a balanced way. His guns don’t do much, but can provide that extra tickle that makes Bastion’s life a living hell at all times, and his mobility makes him a stronger counter to more stationary defenses, dealing chip damage and distracting from other enemies.

Adaptive-Shield/Pile-Driver:
Hamham’s shield is one of the only reasons he can ever win against a Bastion based team composition, as it allows him to soak up massive amount of damage while engaging with your team… though, at great risk.
Hamham’s piledriver is one of the only other things that gives him an edge on Bastion, allowing him to launch the Bastion’s supports and aid into the air, making it harder to focus entirely on keeping him alive, while also dealing more chip and higher damage. There used to be a combo that would kill a Bastion outright, but i am not sure at this time of it’s effectiveness.

Minefield:
It’s been clearly stated that Bastion is… less than fast.
Minefield is often deployed from a distance in the air, covering a wider area, and very quickly at that.

Bastion often dies to it, with little counter play outright. It’s area denial. That’s what it does.

Zarya

Zarya… she may not always be a strong counter, but if played correctly can be a hell of a force to face.

Particle-Cannon/Particle-Barrier/Projected-Barrier:
Zarya’s particle cannon charges based off of damage done to her two bubble shields, meaning that Bastion often accidentally aids in charging them… it’s not his fault, they’re huge and sometimes come out of nowhere… but with full charge, she can beam him down before he has a chance… this isn’t as much a direct counter, as it is tricky for the Bastion to face at all.

You have two choices… stop shooting at all, which means the enemy can do whatever they want to you for a second or two, or shoot full force and destroy the barrier, charging the Zarya and hopefully killing her/whoever it’s on.

Graviton-Surge:
Less effective against Bastion alone, but Bastion’s playstyle.
Zarya’s will look for grouped individuals to use their graviton surge on, making it easier for the team to directly assault and focus fire. Being Bastion at all, makes it almost necessary to have at very least healers near you… making it easier to get caught in a graviton surge. Thus, easier to be caught and killed along with your entire team.

Zenyatta

Zenny boi is not directly strong against Bastion… not as strong as some, but still effective. Very effective.

Orb-Of-Destruction/Orb-Of-Discord:
Zenyatta’s orbs of destruction, the energy that he fires from his hands, deal a considerable amount of damage if chained together, which his secondary-fire further supports. Effectively locking off long sightlines, as Zenyatta can send volley after volley, making setting up in the open impossible.

Zenyatta’s orb of discord, applies an effect while in visual range, making you take more damage… no matter who shoots you. Obviously effective against a stationary target.

Transcendence:
Zenyatta can not only body block during transcendence, but outputs shocking levels of healing for his entire team, as long as they stay in range of him. This directly counters Bastion’s ability to not only defend himself but even his team, as he has no burst damage to cut through it, and is usually heavily focused down during it’s duration.

(Further clarification: This is not unbalanced, just inconvenient particularly for Bastion, among other heroes. Specifically it enables even Zenyatta to directly counter Bastion.)

O-… oh god… wait, i… i listed all of them?
That’s… problematic…

Feel free to share your opinions and strategies for fighting Bastion below…
And more importantly, please share your thoughts on fixing Bastion’s obviously very under-effective state as of current.

TL;DR: Bastion can be effectively fought with any and all heroes, as long as strategy and cooperation are observed. He may excel at fighting a few of them, but it is clear that he does not counter any one hero more than any one hero counters him. Above, is listed every single interaction with Bastion that is either inconvenient enough to throw off the player, or outright disable them. Please remember… Yes some of these things may apply to all heroes, but for Bastion it’s even more painful.

This has been your humble host, once again pushing this issue, this time… with a lot of words.

ℙ𝕝𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕖 𝕣𝕖𝕞𝕒𝕚𝕟 𝕔𝕚𝕧𝕚𝕝. 𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕜 𝕪𝕠𝕦.

~ℭ𝔥𝔦𝔟𝔦𝔉𝔬𝔵 :fox_face:

This also serves as an “AMA” for a Bastion main.
So please, ask me anything.

(This took forever to write btw… >~> Am tired.)

16 Likes

Ok but how do you counter Bastion as Mauga?
Echo?
Jetpack Cat?

9 Likes

Bastion buffs? It has been years since those happened.

3 Likes

All the more reason for them.

2 Likes

As far as i can tell, the big reason Bastion can be countered so easily and so blatantly, is because no one respects his space.

If you’re next to a Bastion, it’s like being next to a Reinhardt… you’re not in pure danger, but you might could die maybe.

Bastion needs to be terrifyingly dangerous in the places that he should be effective… such as close/mid range and basically anywhere in front of him when he’s in Sentry Mode for a short distance.

People just… walk up to you, without fear… because they know they will not die.
And if they do die… it’s suddenly unbalanced and needs to go immediately, for some reason.

Another thing i have taken notice of, is that Bastion is most hard countered by Tanks, directly. In a 1v1 scenario, and in team fights… Tanks dominate without a second thought against him.

All of this points me to believe that he needs both self defense enough to keep him alive, and the ability to actually kill quickly.

So… something like lowering his ammo drastically, giving him headshots, and maybe a personal barrier that only regenerates while out of Sentry Mode.

I made a thread about the changes i personally would like to see, a while back.
I’ll link it here:

[New year, new Bastion. 🤖]

5 Likes

So you listed the heroes abilities, that’s it.

You’re listing Junkrats trap and tire, like really, first of all why would a bastion walk into his trap and the tire is low health, it’s easy for Bastion to kill it.

12 Likes

(I still intend to write in strategy for each hero, it’s 4 am. i wanted the thread to be posted.)

And as for these things… yes, i did mention lots of the hero’s kits, because people seem to assume that when facing Bastion, everything they have is on cooldown and unavailable no matter what, and the Bastion is a few inches from them at all times.

Each hero, does very clearly, have at least one or multiple ways to completely negate or remove Bastion from the fight, that aren’t as punishing to a normal hero. But for Bastion, there are many reasons listed above as to why it’s all the more punishing.

it’s not just about what kills what, and why… it’s that every single hero has a strategy against Bastion, that will usually end in his death.

And they’re stacked by 6 each match.

And the only thing Bastion has to face off against these things, is the very things that enables most of these strategies and abilities to function at peek performance.

And honestly… how could i possibly talk about counters without listing other hero’s kits? In what world can i be vague about what counters what, while making any points?

You’re calling Mercy’s gun a counter to Bastion?

Like, OK if you’re not behind a shield she can hit you I guess, but you can’t just call literally anyone that can shoot you a counter. That isn’t how counters work! If Mercy successfully 1v1s you as Bastion then no amount of buffs to Bastion are going to help you.

18 Likes

Firstly, i never called it a counter. i called it an annoyance that can throw you off… it can make a sightline (that isn’t shielded) Impossible to defend, but i did also mention that it was a small stretch of sorts and i intentionally didn’t want to split mercy’s hairs about it.

The point remains… Any hero can negate Bastion’s entire purpose.

And it’s not about the hero’s designs… it’s that Bastion is that weak to external damage. You either sit there taking it, or immediately move. And yes, you can in fact die to a Mercy… ESPECIALLY if she solo-ults you.

You cannot reliably kill a Mercy who’s decided that you need a trip to the spawn room, while she’s ulting… without help.

Teams change everything, but they don’t change how bad that is.

Of course a good team can always carry you, but that’s not the point. At all.

1 Like

Oh no, an ultimate ability can almost kill someone! The horror!

6 Likes

It can kill you, reliably, every single time.
That’s another one of the points, as i mentioned. That you conveniently forgot.

Please add something constructive or nothing at all.
Even constructive criticism… All i see is someone skimming through without thinking about the main issues at hand.

3 Likes

No it can’t. It’s not an automatic “kill bastion” button.

I don’t care about other issues, I care about this particular one since it concerns my favorite hero. People like you are the reason why pulse bomb got gutted.

“People like me” I do not control what gets changed… and honestly, concerning a hero that cannot dodge it or counter it’s placement at all, i don’t think it should reliably kill him as often as it does.

And i’m sorry if i’ve angered the Tracer mains, i did expect to be berated and degraded for sharing opinions, but the thing is… if you stick a Bastion, and it doesn’t die, you did something wrong.

1 Like

The thread title is literally “Bastion can be countered by any hero. Here’s why.”

And then you list Mercy’s blaster.

How is that NOT calling it a counter? This whole thread is one long whining overreach.

He’s a bad hero and needs a rework, but just desperately listing anything a hero can do as a counter is not remotely constructive.

EDIT - LMAO he edited the title what a baby

10 Likes

Hmm, actually in this case i think it is… as these aren’t just “Anything a hero can do” this is things that can literally almost always lead to your death, if you don’t take immediate action. Things that control you, as a player.

You know what? I’m not responding to any more of this.
Have fun.

I will not be berated for the hero i play, nor told that actually addressing heroes directly and using their kits as explanation is wrong.

I’ll write in more about in-depth strategy at a later date, but i’m sure that won’t matter. Just false report it if you don’t like it i guess. Whatever.

He shouldnt have a say. He deserves to be niche and remain that way as long as he has his current kit.

2 Likes

Your whining broke my favorite hero, that’s a fact.

I’m sorry, but picking Tracer is already an insta-throw, even against bastion.

Also yes, I did something wrong. I’ve played overwatch in 2020 when a literal “my whole team is now immortal lol” button exists.

Bastion is OP you just can’t play him + people will flame every Bastion always.

Show me where my own words, proven to have been written by the user “ChibiFox” Resulted in the changing of Tracer’s kit.

1 Like

I don’t care about your name, you whiners are all the same annoying person to me.