Bastion 3.0 (Tank Mode is Now a Secondary Ability)

Rocket jumping to better spots for sentry is pretty cohesive and the ult on E thing is absolutely perfect for him as an idea just by how his configurations work but for some reason it’s being given to almost every hero. It makes sense on him so naturally they won’t do it.

I’ve always thought tank & recon should be his two normal forms. Buffed/nerfed to balance.

Then sentry becomes his ultimate. Give it back the old barrier it had. Give it back headshots. And make it utterly annihalate things for like 6-8 seconds.

I think it would be much more easy to balance Bastion properly that way. Plus his two regular forms would have clear distinctions and uses. Recon for long range/precision fighting & tank mode for AoE spamfest.

2 Likes

But one of his main weaknesses is his lack of mobility - he doesn’t need to be able to do everything all the time. There is a reason why he has no movement abilities, and while it might be great to have that weakness filled in, that’s not how Blizzard designs, nor should they.

And he’s really weak right now so I don’t see the issue.

That’s where you’re wrong, he can’t do everything all the time. He only uses about half of his kit at a time, if he had the 3rd mode it’d be a little over a 3rd of his kit. He’s not doing “everything” he’s doing one specific thing at a specific time. He cannot do more than one together.

1 Like

Blizzard’s design sucked if you haven’t noticed. The change they came up with ruined him. That was their design for a change and it was horrible.

I had an idea how to make Tank mode regular ability and turn Sentry into a proper ultimate: ⚠[Long Post] Heroes Problems and Ways to Fix Them

Well, the issue is that you’re suggesting to get rid of some of what makes him unique. While yes, he might not be able to fire rockets in sentry mode and also move around, he still would lose that core design concept.

They might not be the best at it, but taking bad design and making it have no rough edges isn’t the fix here. It’s to fix the bad design, but still keep it cohesive and unique.

But I don’t think sentry should be an ult either. The reason for moving tank to an ability so so he doesn’t have one of his modes locked behind an ult.

It doesn’t make sentry any more mobile. It’s not removing what makes him unique it’s enhancing it. When I look at Bastion I think of his reconfigure and his sentry gun. He’s still stationary in sentry whether or not he has the ability to rocket jump so I don’t see the issue.

his uniqueness is his transformations. One of them is more iconic, sentry, but overall his unique nature is changing his specialty. Defense, mobility with moderate damage, or higher mobility but lower damage but it’s burst.

You get to instantly decide which combination is the best in that situation. Damage or mobility and the severity of the change.

It clearly makes him, as a character, more mobile. The issue is that he is not meant to have that mobile on demand, even when not a sentry. He is not designed to have that kind of mobility, and there is no reason to take that weaknesses away besides “I want him to do everything”. Just not being able to do it all at once doesn’t change the fact that it’s wanting him to do everything.

And one of those transformations is, at the moment, useless. Giving him a third one which undercuts his basic design ethos is besides the point and only serves to make him less interesting.

Look, you tell me: do you think Blizzard designed him to be able to be highly mobile on demand? Do you think there are reasons why some characters are not highly mobile on demand?

more mobile but I don’t think it’s too mobile.

I do. He was not designed, nor should he be designed, to be so mobile as to be able to rocket bounce whenever he wants.

Will you guys stop using the go to “you want an OP hero” comment?

If the whole theme of hero is transformation between modes I think it is okay when his ultimate is a vary powerful trasformation.
And Sentry is basically more powerful than a Tank-mode. With some tweaks to make to make it closer to old version with addition of a little bit of movement it will be a great ultimate.
While a also put Tank mode on ammo-charges mechanic so in my version of Bastion he really has a reason to constantly weave between different modes.
Just read it. Also feedback there is welcomed, it would be great to bump that thread.

I will when you stop asking for basic core weaknesses to be removed.

There you go again, it’s not whenever he wants because it always comes with the downside of less damage. That’s where the choices come in. Maybe I want to rocket jump while being shot at but if I’m in sentry at the moment the transformation means I’ll probably die because going into recon is faster (0.5 seconds to recon but 1 second into tank.)

It is whenever he wants. Just the fact that it’s not literally everything at literally the exact same time doesn’t mean that you’re asking for one of his core design concepts to be erased.

and he’s underpowered so maybe the basic core weakness is wrong? It’s our job as the players to ask such questions so I did and it’s generally well received in the Bastion megathreads. There are a ton of versions of it but it’s always tank.

Now stop with the “you want an OP hero” because I don’t. He’s underpowered so obviously the first step is to remove a weakness or to enhance a strength. There’s many ways we can go here.

And he’s been bad always so maybe it’s a core concept that needs to go. Read this comment ^

But the way to fix that is to make him more uniquely powerful, not to get rid of that weaknesses. He was designed to be low mobility, in sentry form and in recon form. He shouldn’t have that changed.

That core concept isn’t bad, it just needs something to tie it together. Not getting rid of part of what makes him unique.