Baptiste and leaving Talon:

do you think that Talon would be happy if one of their member’s simply left? Without a fight of some sort? Most clans and organizations will hold a long grudge against a former participant.

• Did he ever meet Reaper?
  • Will he reveal Talon secrets to the outside world?

I HAVE MANY QUESTIONS.

4 Likes

But Talon would not let him go. Baptiste knew too much, and they sent operatives after him to silence him. Agent after agent came for him, including Baptiste’s former comrades. To stay under the radar, Baptiste drifted from place to place, aiding in humanitarian efforts around the globe. The few Talon members who managed to track him down were never seen again.

27 Likes

I mean, I always appreciate the devs talking to us, but you’re quoting his bio. This doesn’t answer any questions we have.

11 Likes

Kind of like McCree and deadlock.

1 Like

What was his rank in Talon? Was he a grunt? Close to leadership like Doom?

3 Likes

I got too excited that I actually didn’t think to go there.

But that still makes me wonder what kind of a position he had within Talon. Or if he was just your average talon soldier like any other.

1 Like

He was a combat medic. That was his position. Although Talon is a paramilitary organization, the structure tends to be the same. Reaper and Widow are akin to Special Forces, officers that also act as combat operatives. Sombra would be Intel.

Baptiste is a combat medic. He has no history with Overwatch, no reason to be relevant in the larger heirarchy of Talon other than to be a war survivor looking to make his way in the world. At his age, 36, you might reliably assume that he would have the equivalent responsibility and rank of an E-6 or E-7 in terms of U.S. military. E-7 would be more likely in our world, but probably closer to E-6 for him considering his duties were primarily combat related and not seemingly administrative at all.

Talon is an organization, not a person. The glimpses you see through the stories of the heroes we have are the exception to how that organization normally functions. Any organization that takes you in is going to put money into training you, making sure you’re physically fit, pay for your medical needs, biological enhancements, equipment, transportation, etc. You walk away from that and attack their own members, of course they’re going to have it out for you.

Remember that they were willing to take him back until he crossed a line. He was not important to Talon as an individual, but as one of a lot of people that Talon relies on to be able to function. You need to ensure people want to join and don’t want to leave. If it looks like they mistreat their members, nobody is going to join. But once you declare yourself an enemy, then they have no choice but to make an example of him. He stole himself and everything they put into him from them, and jeopardized potential future recruitment.

TL;DR: Don’t think too hard about it

5 Likes

Mr. Chu, the Talon we’re seeing in Baptiste’s origin story and in Retribution is not necessarily the same Talon that Doomfist “reformed” after he came back from prison, is that correct? We see them stealing gold and money in Baptiste’s origin, but didn’t Doomfist say they’re more than simple criminals? I’m confused.

Also, why aren’t there any Tanks among the Talon heroes??

2 Likes

He was a combat medic and a real good shot too, so probably just a base soldier who had medical training. That may be why Talon didn’t send anyone like Reaper of Doomfist after him

Probably. The origin story and chain of command made me think of him like Finn from Star Wars, where Doomfist is Kylo and Reaper is the lieutenant that reports to him.

I also feel like he is most like Finn in terms of rank. He wasn’t high up, but recognizable by his peers and some superiors

5 Likes

Interesting comparison… From the comic, we see that Reaper is actually quite loyal to Doomfist though, always by his side, and if anything, they both seem equal in terms of leadership.

Man, I wish we had more Talon stories… I’m dying to see more of that group.

3 Likes