Banning for abusive chat? really?

You would be happy with being perma silenced. I would be happy to see people like you banned. Guess which side Blizzard is on?

2 Likes

By the way, here’s a tip on how the system may be similar to Heroes of the Storm. At least initially you were able to appeal a silence/suspension. What the GMs would do on appeal is look for any instance of any offense and uphold the penalty on that ground. Point being, if Overwatch mostly differs in this so-called review being undertaken ahead of time, and note that appeals in Overwatch are not permissible on content, the same sort of reporting abuse can occur. GMs aren’t necessarily verifying all reports. They are just very quickly looking for something to uphold or justify a penalty. So you safely report people falsely to accumulate reports against them relying on the likelihood of there being a single offense.

This might sound implausible, but Heroes of the Storm has really been such an s show on so many levels. Some of you might think Blizzard is a very professional and smart company but it’s actually becoming more widely known that they aren’t. In essence you can say they are gamers, with the good and the bad that is entailed. I.e. not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Lmao, I love the kid minds in these communities. I’m irrelevant. I’m just Joe Schmoe. Whether I get perma-banned tomorrow no one will care, possibly including myself. The much bigger and more important matter is the systemic consequences for the player base as a whole. I absolutely love it how foolish most of you prove yourselves to be, so selfish and small-minded.

1 Like

How about you treat people with respect next time so they’re not forced to report you?

4 Likes

Jumping to ad hominem already?

1 Like

I see, we have a troll. 10/10. well played sir. now join the others in the corner of shame.

Kid, in case you hadn’t noticed, I start with ad hominem. Have to offer you something you’d understand.

I’m starting to think Turtle and DunderSalt are the same person.

Same ‘avoid the issue’ ‘attack everyone else’ argumentative tactic, same atrocious demeanor.

It’s best just to flag this dumpster fire of a post and move on. It’s clear Dunder and by extension Turtle aren’t picking up on what’s being said.

I’m done here, Moo I recommend the same.

2 Likes

After reading through this horror show of a thread I can firmly believe that OP deserved their ban.

2 Likes

I use it a lot, just not towards people, and I’m yet to be silenced, or even warned.

So it’s not just the f-word.

3 Likes

Important point, context matters.

The OW playerbase is somewhat more mature. Unless you’re at a low rating most if not virtually all people won’t report you for abusive chat due to dropping an f-bomb here and there, as long as it isn’t targeted at anyone mostly on your team of course. The thing is this is a topic only dolts like Trando find worth discussing. The number one concern should be with the integrity of the system, not with whether saying f*** will get you suspended. The reality is it won’t currently. People who get suspended might resort to making these points but I highly doubt an accumulation of an f-word here and there results in suspensions.

I can’t wait until awareness develops of abusive chat reports resulting in actual suspensions. :slight_smile: The change from silences to suspensions occurred not that long ago, and I don’t recall an announcement. The thing is OW are piss-poor at addressing multiple account circumvention of their penalties too. Hell, the player base seems largely too stupid to understand what boosting through a smurf is and doesn’t seem to care so nothing should be surprising. Get suspended on one account, just play on a smurf. XQC is the exception. And unlike in Heroes of the Storm the hero pool is entirely open, ranking up isn’t a grind either.

I literally quoted their announcement with my first post in this thread, and that announcement was stickied for a long time on top of General Discussions. They made the announcement in May, that’s six months ago.

Well, I obviously didn’t care to look for your first post in this thread, mister. I usually follow what comes across the launcher and the change caught me unawares. With how fast this forum moves and how loose it is I doubt many people pay much attention to it. I think the awareness isn’t there yet, as indicated by the OP’s surprise for instance. I think very few people have come to realize that the abusive chat report can be used as a weapon against other players. Again, Heroes of the Storm was an absolute disgrace and Blizzard through their actions could in fact not care less. I doubt how much they care with Overwatch, but with this game being much more successful they might muster a little more brain activity and resources. So I really don’t know, but in my experience I can almost guarantee that whatever is currently in place isn’t “robust”. Wouldn’t surprise me too much if it’s essentially the HotS 2.0 I described a few posts above. At least I might have a little more fun watching them contain this.

Here’s another indicator for why I have my doubts. I can say some rather heinous things, and when I get suspended there is an accumulation of such things. If people were actually reviewing my history I kind of doubt I’d be getting formulaically suspended- i.e. 1 day, 2 days, 4 days, 2 weeks, whatever the pattern is. These people are not who you think they are.

Because both sides would be happy. Wouldn’t really be a punishment then would it?
People shouldn’t enjoy punishments or they aren’t effective. The idea is to have people avoiding the behavior because they do not want the punishment, not to make is so the punishment is the desirable outcome for all.

2 Likes

how dense are you? I get to play without talking to other people. other people get to play without talking to me.

Just a piece of mind: if (not really an if but because) Blizz consider this important, try to educate the player base on the matter and what the company does about it, hiding these discussions behind a payed access is … ahem! … not the most optimal way of popularising it. ^_-

How long did it takes to decrypt this code ?

Make no mistake, trying to blame others for your behavior isn’t going to cut it. There is a single person responsible for your words and behavior; you.

2 Likes

Apparently less dense than the person who doesn’t understand what a punishment is for.