Banning for abusive chat? really?

In most situations, like computer games, i see swears as more like childish behavior than adult one

Im sorry that saying the swear equivalent of dang makes you upset? I guess I should say golly gee because im clearly trying to sound mature to random strangers over a computer game?

Depends on sytuation words you should use change, but i dont belive there are any in games when you have nothing else to use than swears, or mayby english is just like that, i dont know well your language to be honest.

I just find it offensive that because I choose to use dang (Swear version) instead of what you dub as proper wording that im automatically viewed as a child in your eyes. I can say
“dang. They got us there guys but lets come together and see what we can salvage.”

Im pretty much a kid to you because of one word by your logic.

or you can just dont use first word in this, and just say that they got you, simple fix that dont change context at all

so… you’re telling me that you’re not really a passionately competetive person then? If anything drives you to get better at anything, it’s passion, emotions. Anger, frustration, joy, sadness, remorse, pain, pleasure, all of it.

yet here you are, “unable” to tilt because you distance yourself from the game, so much in fact, that you’re not really giving it your all.

I generally only tilt when at least 4 things occur:

• people refusing to join voice chat.
  • people not picking a reasonable comp.
  • people refusing to play together as a team (trickling or whatever really)
  • I’m whiffing all my shots/abilities
  • I’m getting outplayed over and over

you can still be respectful while using swearwords. Example: that was “bleeping” amazing.

^ also this, because at age 12 (the pegi rating, the one slapper on front of the box) most people have already learned how to use the internet, in which they will quickly “fall victim” to a torrent of swearwords if they tread outside the typical “kids sites”.

sure, context is important, but god damn you’re quite dense, when it comes to EQ. I’ve heard minecraft servers with more swearwords than the average “toxic” player on overwatch, one filled with kids age 7-13.

honestly, blizzard could shove their “abusive chat” category up their donkey, since it only makes people MORE tilted, causing them to swear even more. oh, and another way to make swearwords less common: fix the games balance.

lol. You’re someone I can’t play games with. You sound like you would be way too stiff in a party chat among peers. I may say dang and you tell me “You know your mother wouldn’t want you talking like that.”

1 Like

so its look like childsh behivior to me because of actions like that.

Welp, it make angry people who gona use this words anyway, one those who can stop themself and control what they talk usualy.

Its less about what your parents teach, and more about how you learn to express yourself on your own. Swears in my famili when i was younger was actualy common, even i used them a lot back when i was like 10. And, yes, im not a party person, but im not gona teach you how to act or what words use if you are with friends. But if you play with random people, you could at least think that they might not see your way of using swears as common expresions as people that know you do.

Beginning to understand why this guy got banned…

1 Like

You’re missing the topic im focusing on with you. One swear word and you dub someone a child. I take offense to that from you. You say I should expect people to think my words are common but then force your own viewpoints on how someone should act at the same time. If they don’t follow your standard then their children. Im just pointing out how you’re just as guilty here but what do I know. Im just a kid who sometimes says dang when I play games because I find it makes me cool to my edgy teenage friends.

You try to make it look like i call you some childe, no, childlish behavior is not even something you should be angry about to be honest. Everyone from time to time act as one.
And you use kids as example first

No…I’m a passionate and competitive person whose ultimate goal is to win. Being competitive and being nasty and a bad sport are not the same thing. It’s possible to be an extremely competitive person but still acknowledge when you’ve made a mistake or the enemy team is simply outplaying you/countering you. It’s not a requirement that every competitive person also has to hulkout toxic rage at anyone nearby when they lose. The ability not to tilt after losing a few games is called being a sensible human whose self-aware of their own mistakes. There’s always another round to play to fix the mistakes I’ve made and secure a win.

No, what does the ability to have self-control not to tilt and hulkrage out at teammates have to do with how passionate/competitive I am about the game? I do not “distance myself” from the game as you say, and honestly your false dichotomy of either (a) you’re passionate about the game so you get so angry and toxic you get banned or (b) you don’t get angry and toxic so you must be “distancing yourself from the game so much that you’re not really giving it your all” are not the only 2 options here. As I’ve stated 3x already, I am just an adult who has self-control and impulse control and enough self-awareness to see the mistakes I made/teammates made that contributed to our loss. Using each loss as an opportunity to improve your own play actually shows that you’re giving it your all more than toxic raging out at your teammates, because it shows that instead of resorting to a more base instinct of blaming everyone but myself in a toxic way, I’m rechanneling my frustration at losing into a positive thing – self-awareness and the ability to correct my mistakes so I can keep playing. This self-awareness also helps que me in on when to stop playing; if I’m extremely frustrated after a few games, I’m self-aware enough to stop, play a quickplay or arcade or 2, then go back to comp.

Anger and toxicity are not the ways to get better at something (especially a videogame), those actions actually hinder you from seeing the situation rationally. Often times, a game isn’t won by a team, it’s lost by the enemy team. Did we fail to switch up our team comp to counter a Pharrah running train on us all game? Did we c9 the point? Were we all targeting different heroes instead of focus firing one? Were we trickling instead of grouping up? These are things I can analyze if I stay calm and rational instead of hulkraging out at a loss and hurling insults at teammates.

That is the reason abusive chat is so blind and heavy handed. You can say dang in the chat box once and if someone reports it then you get a mute. Happened to me once and I turn the chatbox off from that point forward. You may say that I should watch what I type but I dont find walking on eggshells to that degree worth the effort. The wheel can get the job done just fine without Blizzard casting a shadow over me because someone was uncomfy about the hoover dam.

1 Like

Any way its 4 am and I only visit blizzard foums like once every two weeks so dont type out a reply.Im not the type to revive dead threads.

Who can do something about this? As op said, there are servers in other games with noone to cheak that are full of people who swear all the time more than in overwatch because they can to be honest. How not doing anything gona fix problem with those who overuse it?

I honestly agree with this guy, even though he kinda seems like an edgelord. if you’re too stiff to accept that people are different, that our cultures are “slightly” different when it comes to the spoken language, you should probably not go to the internet in the first place. In simpler words: if you’re not mature enough to be able to take a bit of banter, some rude remarks and some straight up criticism, you should probably leave the competitive side of gaming alone. We who DO use stronger words, do so because we want to bring the message we try to deliver across as clearly as we possibly can.

I believe you.

have you ever tried to kick a bad habit? it’s not as easy as you seem to believe, especially with your vocabulary. quit saying a word you say a lot. come back in a few days and tell me how you did. did you slip up? of course you did! a lot actually!

And you’re a part of the reason why. a condescending guy who by no means says anything wrong.¯_(ツ)_/¯

If we aren’t allowed to be childish in our spare time… when are we allowed to?

you’re cherrypicking here. sure, being mad at someone for throwing is truly the most toxic of behaviours. shouting “group the F up” is bad, and so is “pick a decent hero ffs”.

You’re one of those people who can’t be reasoned with, only see the world in black and white, when the reality is a lot grayer than you’d ever imagine.

1 Like

I haven’t been called an edgelord in some time. I use to be won’t deny that one. Life trauma will weed that out of you one way or another.

1 Like

The irony is strong with this one.

2 Likes

I actualy did something close to that, for quite some time people was knowing me from saying “Jo” to answer a lot of questions as “yes” or to say hello. To this day some remember that but i stop doing it from quite some time. Im not english speaker as you might notice, and i didnt do it in english at any point, but with people i played from my country.

This is from the Heroes of the Storm playbook. Wait until it becomes common knowledge that this is entirely automated and players can be banned merely for being reported. I’m not making a comment on abusive chat, mind you, but this “implementation” has its pluses and minuses, let’s put it that way. And as the content of the suspension email states, there isn’t even a pretense to appeal anymore.

It’s laughable how unhelpful and uninformative WyomingMyst is, by the way. He’s basically a Blizzard employee, no joke. There won’t be much reason here. Just be aware of what the system actually is, and keep quiet if you really care.

1 Like