Balanced does not equal fun

Because imbalance is inherently anymore fun than balance when every major sport uses a symmetrical rule set to level the playing field as much as possible? Subjectivity is not an argument, mic drop.

2 Likes

“Fun is subjective. Thats not what a games supposed to be!”
/s

1 Like

Your argument makes zero sense. You’re saying Brigitte should be nerfed because she’s unfun to play against (while being fun to play). And that Mercy needs buffs because she’s unfun to play (while being perfectly fine to play against). Does a hero have to be fun to play or fun to play against? It can’t be both.

2 Likes

1 Like

Wow, a single scenario that happens, 1 time for every 10000 matches.

Brigitte is unfun to play against if you play any member of dive.

I main pharah and it’s horrible to play her when in the enemy team there is Widowmaker or McCree. So they should be nerfed because I hate playing against those heroes.

What a stupid logic.

Mitrovarr said it best;

4 Likes

It certainly is meant to be fun.

But the Devs have also focused more on making the game competitive. In this, it is healthier that all heroes be balanced to be useful in at least few situations.

A lot of people find competition not fun, but that’s also a fundamental piece in a lot of games. Competition.

Oh yeah, and fun is also subjective. A lot of people find Doomfist fun with his punches, Brig fun with punishing closerange enemies, Pharah fun in flying with Mercy, Junkrat fun with hitting those nades. These are a lot of things people complain about here.

Let’s be fair and honest here, do you really care about how everyone enjoys the game? Or how you do?

Overwatch’s foundation is inclusion: to allow every person integrate their own unique playstyles to participate in victory. It was made with both gameplay and even lore in mind. The colorful roster offers close to all playstyles people can enjoy and explore, like the story of Overwatch is built around the idea to accept Omnics in society.

In the end, the people that love to play as these heroes you dislike, that have dedicated time to succeed with them, deserve to play their way as much as you do yours. So long as they play seriously.

And you want to take that away? For the sake of ‘fun’? The game has fun and inclusion in mind, but the nature of a game is also competition, which is a crux to the frustration people have with the game. In order to win, you simply need to take time and be better.

TLDR: Balance is more important than fun. Since the game involves competition, every player has a right to win with whoever they connect to in a personalized game like Overwatch.

3 Likes

If every hero needs to be fun to play and also fun to play against, Overwatch will probably have about 5 heroes. Lets remove the rest so the game can be actually dead amirite

All I play are tanks and Sombra. I can play around the CC heroes with Sombra, but if I play a tank, it feels like the CC characters are lined up to juggle me if I touch the objective. That clip is like every game for me. Sometimes, I get lucky and get away because I got hit by 3 or 4 types of CC in under a second instead of getting chain stunned to death.

I have less fun with Ana in my match, Can we start a rally to get her nerfed so no one uses her so i can enjoy my games

Balanced certainly does not equal to fun, it always have been like that. However, people might not have considered balancing between power level, “fun”(it is actually not as subjective as people think in design terms), skill requirement, and a whole bunch of other stuff is actually not an easy task. Even a professional balancing team can have difficulties on it.

But some people equate winning to fun and so if the hero they play is OP they let it slide and tell others to git gud.

1 Like

I don’t enjoy fighting Tracer and Genji, therefore I am entitled to demand that they be changed because they don’t fit my concept of “fun to play against” - meaning they have to lose their mobility and escapes. My idea of “fun” is just as valid as yours and everyone else’s so you must comply with my demands. Kiss Tracer and Genji as we know them goodbye.

Am I doing this right?

You nailed it, OP. Mercy is one of the only heroes now who has NO hero moment in matches. Valkyrie is a glorified ‘escape the angry genji/lets push in’ button and that’s it :unamused:

1 Like

“unfun” basically means Meta or Meta-changing. And when you see something in a meta, you start to notice the character’s BS more.

I have never seen so many BS moves in a video game before, let alone moves to such a magnitude that would actually screw with the game’s selling points.

So until that gets fixed with 50 reworks, we will continue to have this debate that somehow continues beyond the game’s beta phase.

Sure, I agree. Balance does not equal fun. But if we start to balance around what people consider unfun, we would butcher every single hero in the game. Everyone has his own different hero that he dislikes.

3 Likes

Remember when doomfist had that over compensated hitbox, that was pretty fun right?

well for one person 5-6 other people suffered and didn’t have fun, why should one person have fun and others suffer?

You need balance otherwise that fun is going to be very short lived as people start dropping that couldn’t get to play as the fun character, you want nonsensical fun go to the custom browsers.

2 Likes

It’s weird. The first time I ever saw a thread like this was a thread saying Mass Rez should be nerfed.

but fun for one using an unbalanced hero is unfun for another and vice versa too.
both are incredibly important fun to use and play against is VERY HARD to get with balance right bc even if a hero is fun to fight and play against but it’s picked too much it changes too much of the game and can sadly make more of the game unfun

Jst the extreme example of what is the experience. Getting knocked around is very much the norm and spending half the match with no damn control over your hero
Ecause Doomfist and Brigitte who need reworks as they are unfun to deal with

If Mercy can get a cancerous reworks because the DPS found her unfun to play agains tthen Brigitte and Doomfist two heroes designed on nothing but taking control of a hero away can be reworked.