Balance team is experimenting with globally BUFFING damage

SO we have junks mine combo, Widow, Hanzo, Doomfists combo’s, Reins charge, Echo’s Sticky + Primary/Focus, Sym’s Orb+Melee Tracer combo, DB Ashe, and they want MORE one shots?!

Dear lord who on the balance team thinks this is a CoD game?

17 Likes

More lethal =/= buffing damage.

I expect tank damage and support utility buffs in that order.

If you had read the part before it would have pointed out how he said the game really terrible to play when they do the exact thing you are suggesting.

Tanks are already the strongest role in the game by a wide margin. Why would they buff them more to create more lethality? There is already no role more capable of carrying than the tank.

1 Like

That sounds like Soldier 76 buff… I approve. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

At the moment you need to shoot for two minutes to kill something as S76. Unbearable.

1 Like

Because the devs said they would experiment with shifting their power in that direction.

I don’t entirely agree with that btw.

At this point why not make another game entirely? I’d buy a Blizzard arena shooter. But isn’t the whole point of a team based game not to favour 1v2 and 1v3 situations for the lone guy?

17 Likes

It sort of was lost in translation but the theory behind it is that if you react faster and aim quicker, then you can pull off multiple kills before they have a chance to kill you if the TTK is faster. It is not exactly untrue, but I am not sure if i would enjoy it.

1 Like

I think a lot of people just skipped right over that part because it doesn’t fit their narrative.

Valve had tried this as well, years and years ago, with TF2. Slowing the game down with high HP pools or super high healing just pushes the game harder and harder towards one-shots and long duration sustained damage output.

In TF2’s case, the meta shifted from soldier/scout alpha strikes to pyro/HWG steamrollers because they were the only two heroes that had large enough clips to deal damage for long enough to overcome a medic pocketing a 4000 HP HWG. It made everything way less fun to play, unless you really liked playing pyro or HWG.

1 Like

Tanks are already NOT TANKY. Outside of constant pocketing, only a couple of them last for more than a couple seconds.

Because being the biggest target hurts your suirvivability more than having a bit more HP helps it.

So you take Rein. OK. Make him “less of a tank”.
What are you gonna DO?
Make his hammer reach 100m? Let him jump like Winston? Because if you weaken his barrier, you’re left with slow moving melee hero made of cardboard.

They could put Charge on a meter, let him swing his hammer and shield while using it and let him turn on a dime. But I don’t think they’ll go that far. And he’s STILL easy to pick off when Solider 76 is spraying him from the high ground with buffed damage.

“Make them all off tanks” is idiotic because the off tanks are crap and will be even crappier if everyone else is doing more damage too.

12 Likes

Welp, it is clear now to me that devs going to push their game oposite way than i myself would like it. Its their game so they can do what they want, but for myself.

18 Likes

I REALLY hope they don’t buff dmg in this game. The dps role can already carry a game or at least a fight to some extent. Blizzard has to realize that there is some1 on the other side of the screen playing the supports and tanks and they want to carry a team fight just as much as the dps do. Buffing the dps would leave the supports and tanks feeling even worse whilst letting the dps pop off every fight. The game should be fun for every role not just dps players.

12 Likes

This will be done for OWL and to help viewership. They think more carry potential will bring in more viewers.

So the castors can wet their pants when someone wins a 1v3 and they think the crowd will go wild.

8 Likes

This is how the game was in the beginning due to the lack of Shields and OP amounts of Healing…
Mercy used to have the highest hps of 50.
But now we have Ana, Moira, Bap, and Brig, and the amount of healing they put out easily goes to over 100hps…
Ontop of adding 2 more Shields.
The game needs to be more lethal, but we should be nerfing overall Healing, not buffing damage

6 Likes

My thoughts in general. Buffing damage only makes the game more unfun when you die to more damage you may not even be able to react to. Like when I firestrike as Rein it feels like I always go from 500 HP to 50 HP to 400. Just nerf both healing then revert dmg buffs that were made to compete with sustain creep.

7 Likes

Maybe Blizzard want simple to change the idea of the actual overwatch.

Kaplan hinted he want to see overwatch more similar to a fps, so a low ttk is a good thing in this case.

Another developer said they want try more carry potential on single heroes.

Is pretty obvious their intention to try a more dinamic gameplay, more different from the actual overwatch, maybe something between cod and the actual overwatch or more similar to paladins.

Actually, this… isn’t a bad idea? If spawn time gets cut by 2-3-5 seconds and everyone gets their movement speed buffed by 15-25% the game would be fun. But again, only if movement speed gets buffed across the board, so everyone could get a chance to actually dodge bullets.

1 Like

kinda agree

i play alot of zen in season 5-10 and have mostly 60-70% winrate
we could win having zen and lucio as a healer duo

now zen is trash because character like brig and moira exist

3 Likes

I should’ve specified that I’m only referring to primary forms of healing and not CD-based heals, which would continue to function as intended and could probably even be buffed. Buffed barriers would help as well.

Soldier with a little more oomph would be great.