Balance patch hot take

Genji’s damage wasn’t his problem it was his deflect. Playing any support that wasn’t Moira meant that he had a major upper hand on you since he can ignore your damage then cancel his 2 SECOND LONG INVULNERABILITY then burst combo you. It was super annoying and was a much more fair fight when his deflect was 1second and not cancelable. It became a skill based matchup when you were on Zen or ana but since he can cancel it he waits for you to either release volley or deflect your sleep then melt you. They shouldn’t have nerfed his damage at all they should have nerfed deflect. Also why didn’t you buff heroes who were clearly struggling like doom or mercy? Just gonna wait for 39 more days where they marinate in the throw pick category? Stop doing seasonal balance patches and do what needs to be done when it needs to be done.

Edit : ALSO NO SOJOURN NERF?

4 Likes

Where’s said patch notes? And speak for yourself genji spamming an unmissable right click twice into dash to kill you while he’s floating above your head sucks.

1 Like

thank you kind sir <20 chars>

the one shot he got from the dmg was eh, but not the problem indeed(annoying, I’ll grant that).
the speed boost he gets from elims is beyond ridiculous.(and hilariously useless in most other heroes). His E is his E yeah…always been a weird case of a character with more stuff in his kit than most. That dps passive really makes tracking him crazy.

I agree that his deflect is the most obnoxious part of his kit. I would prefer to see that nerfed. The damage changes don’t appear to affect any breakpoints, so his combo’s TTK on squishies won’t change.

2 Likes

Pretty much everyone has been saying this, deflect gives him too much flexibility in duels in ow2, and his damage was not the reason why he was so strong.

Yeah I’ve always thought it was this in combination with the DPS passive.
Deflect makes it damn near impossible to duel him on supports that aren’t Moira, unless he’s just bad and throws it immediately upon seeing you. Then the DPS passive makes a hero that already snowballs hard do so even harder.

It also doesn’t help that he naturally moves faster than the average hero (5.5m per sec vs Tracer and Genji having 6m per sec) so the DPS passive directly benefits him more.

Ya know, that’s a pretty good point. Like I’ve talked about it a bit, but it probably needs more focus.

Not only does Genji have basically 2 seconds of near invulnerability. But this DPS Passive also contributes a lot to his survival.

3 Likes

Wow. That is insane.

Ps swift strike could always cancel deflect but most people complaining dont know that

Idk, deflect requires alot of timing to get right, and if the player does time it well enough they are rewarded, it functions kinda like zaryas bubble.

In General most of my point was that he should have received a nerf to his survivability and not his damage. Flankers should be extremely dangerous if you mess up but they should feel equally as punished if they mess up. His crazy mobility (entirely passive not skill required stuff btw) on top of his 2 second invulnerability that he can cancel whenever he sees an opening is completely unfair.

Oh I don’t disagree that it’s a very skillful ability. It’s just annoying while playing certain heroes because it denies them counterplay.

For instance, let’s say you’re playing Zen and Genji climbs over a wall and drops down in front of you. He opens up with a right click + dash combo which chunks off most of your health. Now should be the time in the interaction when you have the fair opportunity to 180 and provide counterfire. Instead, he puts up deflect and your only hope is to kick him backward and move to safety, but it’s rarely adequate.

Once deflect is canceled, Genji also has the privilege of attacking first. He knows precisely when he cancels it. This means the burden of reaction is exclusively on you, and it’s of course impossible to react to the end of deflect before Genji can act on it, so he’s essentially guaranteed the kill in this case.

I just feel the current implementation of the ability is flawed. Zarya is an even bigger threat but you can at least see her coming from a long way off. Typically several mistakes need to be made for her to be able to close the gap.

2 Likes