Bad ping and IND all of a sudden

For the past few months ping has been quite good, i play on EU and live in south africa and thus when i began getting 188-196 ping consistently it was great.

However, recently my IND has been hitting 80 very often and it wont stabilize at the normal 20, my ping has been 250 for several games and right now Overwatch is borderline unplayable.

Is there any reason as to why this is happening only now ?
Thanks in advance.

Hey there,

There is a lot happening globally at the moment that can affect your connection to the best available OW servers. Without seeing connection data it can be tough to say. I can say we are not currently seeing any service wide issues so what ever is causing it will likely be either local to the system/network or something along the route your connection is taking to get to the service.

Let’s rule out the basics first and then if the issue persists get some connection data from you.

Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 30 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

You can try switching your DNS settings to use a free public DNS servers instead of your ISPs Servers:

We do not have individual steps for specific modems or routers so if you need assistance accessing or updating the devices, contact the device maker/provider.

Let’s reset the in game user options:

1. Right click Windows Start
  2. Open File Explorer
  3. Open Documents
  4. Delete the Overwatch folder and empty the Recycle Bin.

(This will deleted any unsaved/saved highlights so if you wish to preserve those, save and then move them from the videos folder before deleting the OW folder.)

We will want to run the repair tool on the game client: Repairing Battle.net Games - Blizzard Support

Retest. If the problem persists lets get that connection data.

Follow the steps to download and use the WinMTR program:

The WinMTR test needs to be run to the specific server for each match (This can change) So to get the correct IP. You join a match. (Do not recommend ranked play) Open the net graph (Ctrl-Shift-N) and use the IP listed at the top left of the graph. put it into WinMTR and start the test. Leave the netgraph open while you play.

Let the WinMTR run for the duration of the match. If you do not experience the issue, repeat the test with a new match. If you do encounter the issue during play, take a screenshot of the netgraph when it is at its worst and save it as a jpg. when the match is over stop the test and save the results. You can reply with that screenshot and those test results so we can dig into this to try and find the source of the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.