Background Download is About to Start (Never starts)

I always see that icon but then it just disappears and nothing starts.

Screenshot -

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/500719187019431946/633012977292804126/unknown.png

What does this mean? Does it mean that I had background download before and I just didn’t notice it? Then why does this icon appear?

Hey Otlap,

Sounds like the Battle.net app thinks there’s a background download when there isn’t anything to download. I’d recommend clearing out the Battle.net tools folder and then re-launch the app. This will get Agent to redownload itself and you’ll have to locate the game again but that may clear it up.

After I did that and when Blizzard Update Agent process is shut down after re-opening Battle net application it starts to update game directly either live or PTR.

It starts to download, but then finishes it after 2-3 seconds downloading literally nothing. That kinda triggers me about the new patch xD

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/500719187019431946/633044429619462164/unknown.png
Same with Live version of the game.

Nothing downloaded, nothing has changed basically. Just popping notifications.

Edit 3: Hello again. That was a quick edit, but I succeeded in reproducing it.

After changing graphical settings and restarting overwatch the background download icon problem appears again. Seems that deleting battle net folder didn’t help.

Otlap,

This doesn’t happen for me - sounds like something is either messing with your settings file permissions OR quarantining part of the game. Usually that’s going to be a security program. If you temporarily uninstall security programs, does the problem stop? If so, it may mean your preferred antivirus program has a false positive for one of our files which you’d need to report to the security software’s support team.

Updated this thread’s title - going to bring a few more folks who are having this error here.

Hey there.

I’ve tried disabling both my Antivirus and Firewall completely and even deleting battle net folder with disabling Blizzard Agent in the processes menu. Still, after changing graphics settings, logging out, shutting agents processes, logging in, changing graphical settings again and logging out, I can replicate that background download thing.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/500719187019431946/633434132336082944/sad.png

(I call them “sand”)

Also, after removing that battle net folder it can replicate this thingy for both Live and PTR -

I guess it’s a download of the required folders for the Agent in that folder? I dunno.

I’ll try removing my Antivirus completely tomorrow and see if it changes anything.
Also, I’m using Kaspersky Free ver. 20.0.14.1085(d)

Sounds good! Replying back so that you can let us know how it worked. Until this is done we can’t rule it out entirely. These days, even when you disable security software, it tends to be active in a phantom state. It works great versus viruses, but that can mess with us troubleshooting when issues do arise.

1 Like

Nope, uninstalling Avast from my pc didn’t work for me -.- So either I won’t be able to play the Halloween event or I will have to download a stupid amount of Gb of data because your client doesn’t work properly… Again… Awesome… Love it…

Same issue here. Background download of nothing.

Hello again!

The new day - the new progress. I removed my Antivirus completely, and disabled the whole Firewall + Windows internal security.
The gray icon is still there BUT it showed “preparing for background download” with progress bar for just a split second. Then it just disappeared and I was unable to repeat that thing, only grey icon…

There is one really important question - is there a way to check if background download already have installed files? What if this grey icon is just checking for installed files? Because I have no idea if I had this background download running before or not.

Conclusion: the problem is still there w/ and w/o antivirus and security programs.

Edit: this thing is funny - https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/500719187019431946/633690325616951306/unknown.png