bro you just have to do the the

1 Like

ok bro i am attemping the the the

wait i think i messed up

pls hepl

1 Like

I think the problem iz that auztralia iz bad internet

1 Like

Please refrain from spamming threads with emoji’s.

It’s against forum guidelines, these messages are subject to deletion.

same here about 50% games end up on LAX1 getting 150ping
ISP: Orcon

1 Like

Did the the the work?

If not, then try relaunching the game from the Blizzard client after checking the region dropdown box. You can also try changing it to a different region, launch and quite the game, then change the region back to normal and launch again.

I play from europe and been thrown to US servers automatically only a couple times in the past. For me the region change seemed to be persistent so I had to fiddle with the launcher to manually change it back.

1 Like

I’ve had this 4 times in the last 24 hours in competitive, all resulting in loses.

ISP: 2Degrees

1 Like

ISP: Orcon

Being put onto LA servers for comp games, which is great for downranking…

1 Like

another comp game at 350ms, great way to ruin my desire to play.

I am also facing this problem, I am on 2degrees in New Zealand.
This happens regularly and Blizzard never seem to advise us what the cause is, the problem just goes away.
We can provide you MTR’s up the wazoo but are they actually helping anyone get to the bottom of this?

The problem I have is that Blizzard tend to always put this down to a “common routing partner in the area” – yet I have now had this problem on two different ISP’s.

The matchmaker checks latency, and my latency on my old ISP to PSE was 150ms~. On my new ISP my latency to PSE is 350ms~.

Why does the game think that this is a good idea?

More to the point, I have constant pings running to the Overwatch servers that I connect to which give me 40-50ms latency and the pings are always consistently low. So I really can’t buy the “routing problem” statement.

This has gone on for a long time on and off now, well over a year, and as I said again we still haven’t ever had an official Blizzard response as to what causes it.

Well, the time has come for this to end, and for us to get a proper response from a proper network engineer, not a tech support MVP asking us to do some WinMTR’s which (through absolutely no fault of the MVP’s, they’re doing their job) are largely useless in the grand scheme of things.

My suspicion is that Australian hosting is expensive and Blizzard in an effort to cut costs have reduced their compute capacity in Sydney, resulting in us getting put on other regions servers during prime time because the servers in Sydney are at capacity. I doubt we’d ever receive a response on this.

Anyway, this will probably fall on deaf ears, the problem will go away for a couple of weeks, maybe even a couple of months as it has done before, but then it will be back again and we’ll be back in this exact same situation.

I’m an IT professional with ~10 years experience. If you want me to run any kind of test, I’m happy to, I just don’t want it to fall on deaf ears and go around the merry-go-round again. It’s tiring and a waste of everyone’s time.

3 Likes

Hey all,

We would be glad to look into this from our end, but we’re going to need traceroutes or WinMTRs in order to gather connection data. These connection tests need to be run the moment you identify that you’re being connected to a server in a different region. You can verify which server you are connected to by pressing Ctrl+Shift+N while in the match and looking at the server name shown in [] brackets.

[syd] - Sydney, AUS
[pse] - Singapore
[lax] - Los Angeles, US
[ord] - Chicago, US
[ams] - Amsterdam
[cgd] - France

Ideally you would run two tests, one to your local server [syd] or [pse] and the other to the server you’re being connected to [lax] or [ord]. Feel free to post the results and label them appropriately.

Something else to consider is that the match maker does attempt to put you on a server where your latency is the lowest, however there are other factors such as # of players and SR that it considers when finding you a match. If the match maker can’t find you an even match in terms of SR on your local server it may extend the search and find a match on one of the other regional servers (so you don’t have to wait a long time).

@clups

Connection data has helped tremendously in the past to identify and get widespread ISP issues resolved, so yes it definitely helps. If we can identify a trend affecting a specific group of players (all from the same geographical area or from the same ISP for example) then we can forward that information up to our NOC team. Our NOC is awesome and super helpful about investigating connectivity issues as well as reaching out to ISPs when the situation calls for it.

Living in New Zealand means that no matter what ISP you use there’s only going to be a handful of carriers that are used to get those connections out of the country. I won’t make assumptions since I don’t know the specific details or workings of ISPs in New Zealand, but it seems plausible that the issue could affect more than one ISP in the country.

Lots of causes. Like I mentioned in my first reply it’s not always a matter of having a bad ping to your local server. There’s many factors that the match maker takes into consideration. Player population is a factor as well as availability of servers in each region. If there were a way for us to come out and communicate specifically what caused it in each player’s instance we would be happy to do that, but that information isn’t available to us.

Our network engineers do not post on the forums. We (the Technical Forum Agents) can however communicate with the engineers once we have identified an issue and have concrete evidence that something is amiss. Additionally if there’s ever widespread connection issues or server issues we will generally post announcements in the Battle.net app, in-game on the main screen, and from our BlizzardCS twitter.

Here was the previous Tech Support forum thread that I think you are mentioning. Note that we were engaging with that thread and requesting connection tests, but reports seemed to die off.

Played many games last night and the problem has gone away again.
Please do not lock or close this thread.
I write down every IP address I ever connect to when playing Overwatch and I have setup SmokePing to constantly check latency & routing to these servers.
As soon as this happens again I will submit all the data.

1 Like

I would much rather wait than have a 300ms ping to the other side of the planet.

2 Likes

Can Blizzard please help me here?

• I am on PS4
  • I am live near Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
  • Download Speed = 350Mbps
  • Upload Speed = 33Mbps
  • I have only been placed on European / Indian servers for the last 2 months. EVERY single game!
  • My ping is always between 180-250 EVERY game.
    *I am been placed in the wrong server / region. Can someone please fix this issue? Or contact me to advise on the issue?

How can this issue be solved for PS4 users? Ive been having region and ping problems for 2 months now.

I’m based in regional Victoria, Australia, on an iiNet HFC connection,with a solid 400+mbps connection and have been connected to PSE1 for every single game, without fail, for the last month. My latency has gone from 40 to 120, so unless I play Moira or Torb, the game is an exercise in frustration. Tech support has been polite and and as useful as a water balloon in a bush fire!

Hey there Nerkeley,

It looks like we’re already working with you on this other thread. Please follow up with us here.

Hello Kaldraydis,

How can I sort this issue, if Im experiencing that exact same issue as Nerkeley, but on PS4?

I live in Victoria also, and for around 1.5 months, Ive been put on Euro / Indian servers EVERY game! My ping has always been 20 for the last 3 years, but now I average between 150-200. Every game! It only happens on Overwatch, my internet runs around 300Mbps.

Is there any answer to this issue for PS4 users?

Hey again,

It looks like we already answered this question on another topic. Let us know if this helps!