ASUS - TUF Gaming 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti - 256GB SSD - Black

I am looking into this particular laptop at best buy is going to be on sale and I was wondering what your opinions are I would be using to play Overwatch.

Specs are
Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
Total Storage Capacity: 256 gigabytes
Solid State Drive Capacity: 256 gigabytes
System Memory (RAM): 8 gigabytes
Processor Model: Intel 10th Generation Core i5
Processor Model Number: i5-10300H
Storage Type: SSD

I can 100% tell you if you have under 500 gigs of space then it’s already a bad deal imo.

This guide might help out: GUIDE: Maximizing System Performance for Overwatch (PC)

It meets the minimum requirements, though i still wouldn’t recommend it. (due to the storage obviously since you’ll definetly be purchasing alot of external disks)

as someone who has a laptop with the same cpu and gpu, i can pretty much tell you right now it will run overwatch fine, if you want to know more you can just ask

It seems fine to me. You will be able to run overwatch at 60 frames per second and 1080p.

Oh right, which GPU?

If you send through the laptop model then that would also be enough.

Its an older model but it checks out. It should run around Medium or High settings with no issues. That being said, I really have come to dislike ASUS as they do a very poor job in keeping their system software up to date and it causes crashes. I had to get rid of my Old ASUS laptop and when I tried to replace it with a new one, it never worked properly so I sent it back (ended up getting a little known brand called SAGER which runs great).

I don’t wanna spend more than at Least 500 or so dollars on laptop I’m not made of money but at its sale price for Black Friday its affordable. Thanks for the help though.

Yeah for budget it’s fine.

1 Like

Its Model Number is FX506LI-BI5N5
UPC 192876820476

CPU

Intel Core™ i5-10300H Processor

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650Ti 4GB GDDR6

Yeah it should handle more than fine for the game.

1 Like

Thank you for your input! Its much appericated I am new to the world of Overwatch!

It’s a fine laptop and has good specs for the price, I have had a similar spec one, but a little older one for about 2 years. Yours also has a slot for extra storage, which you can upgrade whenever you want. I bought one 2.5" HDD with 500GB from amazon for around 25-30 dollars. Which was pretty easy to install, even for beginners. There were plenty of videos to guide how to do it too.

Don’t worry about the small storage, it won’t become a problem for you maybe at all. I bought the extra HDD to fit a few more games 250GB can fit around 3-5 depending on the title.

If you want to do gaming. If it’s a work or school computer then you’re fine. Get an external USB 3 drive if needed.

Interesting tip is that a portable hard drive? and if so how do put games on those just curious in case I need to get one.

I don’t know, my Asus laptop is still pretty great. I played OW on it for two years and it’s not even a gaming laptop.

100%?

Pssshh Mine came with 256GB and was fine. That said. This unit is easy to upgrade to a larger drive, still a nice unit. Mine had a SATA based drive bay, which I dropped a 2TB Samsung SSD into. So 256 nVme drive for high speed, and a large storage drive with still decent speed. Win Win.

Again, you can also spring a little extra and just drop in a SATA SSD. Still faster and more durable than a SATA HDD in a laptop. Can handle the vibrations and movement much better and be a lot faster. Bit more money but worth it. Whatever you do though, don’t get those stupid SSHD drives. *shudder

I have seen way too many dead ones.

Huh?

256GB is a good amount of storage, and can easily be upgraded to larger if needed.

That laptop should be able to run OW event at higher frame rates (100Hz+) on medium-high settings.

The only thing I’d worry about in a bit longer term (next few years) is the RAM. (Although you can upgrade this later.) Currently 8GB is pretty much the minimum for a lot of games (including OW) and remember that this game will get an upgrade next year and the hardware requirements will increase a bit. Generally speaking: newer versions of desktop operating systems - Win10 - also tend to eat more and more RAM. For this reason I always get much more than the minimum requirements. This way it isn’t an issue if I have a memory hungry browser or something else in the background while I’m playing.

You can account for higher CPU and GPU requirements by lowering the graphics and/or frame rate but you can’t do much about not having enough RAM and that can have a HUGE negative impact on the overall performance of your machine. IMO this isn’t worth risking because a bit more RAM is usually not that expensive.

In case of storage don’t even think about using a HDD instead of an SSD (at least as the primary storage that holds the operating system). That’s another thing that can degrade the performance. You can attach fast-enough USB3 storage for additional games, movies and similar. Some compact external USB drives (e.g. Sandisk Extreme) have SSD-like speed but you can attach regular SATA SSDs too with cheap $10 USB3-to-SATA cables. To store movies, music and similar you can get cheaper/slower/larger USB HDDs. For Win10 you should probably reserve a few 10 gigs of storage and some free area and OW currently requires 20GB. 250GB as the “primary” storage of your machine is fine. It’s enough for Win10 and you still have at least 200GB for your most played games.

Buy a laptop instead of a desktop PC only if you need a compact/mobile machine. A huge disadvantage of laptops is ineffective cooling: they are equipped with small high speed fans that are very loud when a game puts pressure on the machine. A good active noise cancelling headphone can remove most of that noise but it might still annoy people around you.

No I am talking about internal one that you can fit inside your laptop. Well external drives work the same as normal usb flash drives, plug it in and it should show up in your storage. You might need to open “Disk management” and then make it “a new volume” then go through stuff like windows say to give it a letter (E:) for example and then it’s done and ready to be used. htt ps://helpdesk.originpc.com/support/solutions/articles/9000124011-how-to-add-a-hard-drive-to-windows-10-

I hope this link works. (I basically googled how to add new storage drive windows 10 and first or second result)

But if you want an internal drive that doesn’t have to be there next to your computer always connected with usb. I kinda need to know, which exact place are you going to buy it. Because I checked some videos, which said that some Asus FX506Li have a bigger battery, so it doesn’t have room for extra sata storage. If your laptop has a bigger battery it still has a slot for m.2 slot storage.

You already have 250GB of SSD storage for your boot drive, which is going to make your computer faster to open up and restart etc all functions like that. Also that 250GB can already fit some games and every small other program you happen to download to it. With for example 500GB of storage you would have basically room for extra games, movies and pictures for example. 750GB is a lot of storage already and I bet you won’t need more than that unless you like to have over 15+ games, lots of movies downloaded to your laptop etc.

So basically here are your options on USD prices from pcpartpicker list, you might find something for 5-10 dollars cheaper too, but I’m giving you around average prices for them. (if you live outside of USA just add extra 5-15 dollars to the price)

500GB HDD 2.5" 30 USD
500GB HDD external 38 USD
500GB SSD Sata 2.5" 48 USD
500GB SSD m.2 48 USD

250GB SSD Sata 2.5" 29 USD
250GB SSD m.2 30 USD

If you want extra storage get it the ready easy with an external hard drive out the hard way by unscrewing the bottom of the laptop and upgrading the SSD

Also is it still a bad deal for this that I’m getting January?:
Razer Blade Pro 17 2020: Gaming Laptop with Full HD-300 Hz Screen, Intel Core i7 10 th Gen, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, CNC Aluminum, Chroma RGB Lighting

I’m upgrading the RAM and SSD a few months after I get it as well.