As a former apologist, I have lost hope

Your going to allow BLIZZARD to do THIS?

I’m sorry, but no.

Covid was understandable, but this isn’t a excuse to delay a game that we promised and talked about 2 years ago.

I’m glad the community is outraged, this is good. We need this.

23 Likes

What is there left to enjoy? It is only going to get worse after this point.

36 Likes

Who doesn’t like Recycled Events?

11 Likes

The more investment a player has in a game, the longer the copium lasts.

2 Likes

Why? OW1 wasn’t even close to finished at launch and it seems like it’s universally agreed (at least around here) that the first year was the best that OW had.

8 Likes

A lot of that is rose tinted glasses and pure hatred of the DLC characters, lol

5 Likes

Hah, very true. I think people would probably be less forgiving of the first year BS now.

3 Likes

Yeah I think that it might be time to say goodbye to my beloved Genji. I cant play the same stuff with no change at all for that long. At least Halo is coming out soon.

5 Likes

I’ve just been quietly waiting patiently for OW2. Kinda stopped playing OW months ago - but have played a few quickplay games this last week for the first time in ages.

This is just so god damn frustrating to hear. Honestly, not sure how much longer a lot of people are willing to wait…

It would be easier if we had much more regular updates into the development and behind the scenes stuff etc. But…

sigh

5 Likes

I think some of it was a lack of expectations, too, particularly with respect to Competitive and the idea that this would be a “balanced” experience. I know when I started playing, which honestly was after the first couple of seasons of Comp, the mindset was still that this game was really intended to be a more casual, fun-focused experience, and Competitive was there for those who wanted it but wasn’t the central focus. Obviously that’s not what Blizzard had apparently intended, but I do think that made the community a lot more forgiving and willing to accept whatever shenanigans in the early days.

And Anthem, and No Man’s Sky (happy ending there at least) Fallout 76… xD the list goes on lmao… Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 are what hurts me still to this day tho T_T

2 Likes

76 is getting there with content updates at least.

4 Likes

Allow them to do what? Make the game?

What do they owe us exactly? We bought the game already, and they made free updates for it for 5 years and are still currently updating it even if the content isn’t as meaningful. What’s there to be mad about??

2 Likes

Here is one source: https://www.ign.com/articles/overwatch-2-diablo-4-delayed
also here https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1455636267304198154

Outrage and seeing the playerbase at the verge of leaving the game, will make them speed up the process.

They want the community to be silent about this.

Sometimes it’s okay to Complain ChiefWamBam.

3 Likes

Complain about what though??

Do you want a good game or a rushed game? If you want a rushed game then they already exist by the dozens, choose one. Overwatch will still be here when you get back.

If you want a good game, then stop with the idea that rushing them is okay. Rushing means crunch, and we all know that’s a bad thing.

2 Likes

You’re completely right, but I will admit its kinda crazy to leave OW with no content while saying “We’re holding that content for OW2!”. And then you keep delaying that game and therefore that content.

Remember: I wouldn’t complain if they didn’t call it a live service. Halo: Combat Evolved likely won’t get any huge content updates and I’m okay with that.

14 Likes

2021 has taught me a very new definition of just how much pain one can handle and take. It hurts, I will wait for it to come out but my ability to hope has dwindled substantially now.

As disappointed as I am that we won’t get a new toy anytime soon, I am very glad that they’re taking the time to do this right, and not just shi p out a product because OWL told them to.

I wish we at least had 1 new hero or map a year until then. But at the very least, letting OW1 silently die and encouraging players to try other games would reduce the risk of burnout by OW2.

1 Like

I think ultimately people just want Overwatch updated with the core features being the focus now. The developers promised a game as a service and so far they stopped their updates with a new promise of a sequel that was contrary to their original selling message. Regardless, they were releasing adequate content like characters and maps with minor changes. Everything changed after the positive feedback of the Archives event and some point then if not earlier, the developers decided to transform the game to tell the story through a PVE format and/or story driven campaigns.

However, was or is there ever a chance this would work out? In the history of this game’s development, they literally scrapped what Overwatch was supposed to be, their Project Titan MMO, into a simple hero shooter. Partly because the scope was too large and nothing was working out after years of development, Kaplan was even quoted as saying that it, “failed horrifically”. And now they have ambitions to expand on the universe of this game yet developers like Kaplan are gone. What guarantee did anyone have that anything would work out regardless of the time they put into it? It just seems they don’t have the same drive or ability to put a large game together like they used to with WOW or something a decade prior.

Crunch is bad but that is often a failure of the management and the culture within. The developers mismanaging time, over-scoping development creep, gold plating, and marking unreasonable dead lines, threatening their workers to overwork and underpay them for that effort or face layoffs. I wouldn’t really blame the customers for expecting something more, even if it is unreasonable, often it is a result of misplaced expectations or ignorance and from false promises. it is ultimately the businesses’ internal problem.

But ultimately, you’re right. We don’t have to sit around twiddling our thumbs waiting for something. Yeah, we paid the game, but I’m sure we got our hours in that is reasonably comparable with any other game product or service today. We probably should just play other games. But I don’t blame anyone being upset with their favorite game just wanting it to be updated to keep it fresh and engaging like the other games get. Honestly, I would just say to everyone waiting: just enjoy what it is now if you can otherwise play something else until it comes out. Don’t expect anything, it will probably not be great anyway. After all, what reference point do we have to say otherwise.

15 Likes