šŸ¤” Are Lootboxes Gambling?

It is only gambling if you spend real money.

As soon as you click that purchase button, youā€™ve gambled that amount of money to have a chance to get some good things, but have a greater chance of getting common, crappy stuff you dont want. This then entices you to buy more, to increase you chances.

So if you buy them, yes. If you just earn them through playing, not really, however, they might cause someone to get addicted to the game? Idk. I donā€™t really care about loot boxes that much, especially if thereā€™s no event. I have most things in the game anyway now, soooo.

I love that clip. Even she knows that sheā€™s full of crap.

Yeah, it was 2016, and it was a mess. False advertising, accusing players of being ā€œentitledā€ even when many were spending upwards of $100. A 20+ page mega thread on the issue.

1 Like

I donā€™t consider OW lootboxes gambling. They donā€™t impact the game, you get them for free by playing the game, and youā€™re getting content out of them. Just not the content you want to get out of them.

Itā€™s not like we pay and get nothing at all in said boxes. No one is forced to get them.

I would say it is however I donā€™t think that lootboxes should be outright pulled or the game shut down. simply adjust the ESRB rating to match that of the age required to gamble for games that have lootboxes.

this way companies can continue to have lootboxes in game and they no longer are using gambling mechanics towards those underage

OW loot boxes are not gambling. They give them to you for free.

CSGO boxes are gambling though. ā€˜Freeā€™ boxes that cost 2.50 to open with terrible drop rates.

You canā€™t use the OW skins as currency either since you canā€™t trade them. People need to appreciate how good the OW loot box system is.

What do drop rates have to do with if something is gambling or not?

If you are still on the fence, just because you canā€™t get money out of it, check these out

Bottom line is this, as long as you can spend real money on these boxes, as far as I am concerned it is gambling. You may not always have the ability to cash out, but if anything that just makes it far worse. Slot Machines ARE adcitive, and the fact itā€™s designed to prey on people and eventually get them to spend money for what they want is a problem.

Overwatch does not get off easy, you get a max of maybe 5-7 boxes a week, thatā€™s from doing Arcade, Role Que, and Leveling Up. But all those boxes you get can give you duplicates, so you have less chance of getting what you want. So you are enticed to spend more, since you know you wonā€™t get dupes, and $10 is not a lot right? Just an hour of your shift, no biggie, maybe you spend $10 per paycheck to buy boxes. That adds up, fast, and kids especially have no idea what the problem is with it because itā€™s not their money.

There are a lot of stories where kids charge their parents cards for a chance to get what they want. There are people who play video games to escape their gambling addiction, only to find itā€™s now in most AAA games. It is a problem, and if Overwatch doesnā€™t fix it itā€™s only going to become a bigger problem once more politicians start agreeing itā€™s gambling.

2 Likes

The drop rates, combined with the fact you can purchase skins with credits, means that you can realistically get any skin you want.

Again, compare that to csgo where skins are worth thousands of dollars because they are virtually unobtainable otherwise.

Putting money on a game of chance.

Yeah, seems like gambling.

Payouts are completely irrelevant. If you put money on a game of chance that is literally gambling. This shouldnā€™t even be a debate.

1 Like

Completely agreed, I apologise if my tone was dismissive, since I wanted to have an honest discussion in my last comment (also +1 for the self criticism, It was a nice reminder for me too).

I just donā€™t like the ā€œthere is no alternativeā€ rhetoric. There is always a solution that exists in the middle of both sides. Of course a company has the right to do whatever seems right by its standards, but is also a customers right to evaluate and criticise these methods.

As Cerebrum explained it above, in the first summer event, items werenā€™t available for purchase via credits. People voiced their concerns and their policy changed.

As I said before, OW has one of the most fair lootbox systems, but still, the core concept of them ainā€™t consumer friendly.

I was talking about lootboxes in general. The models that you can turn the items to cash are pure gambling by definition.

If I want to buy something, I should know how much it costs.

And thatā€™s the bottom line. As I see, we agree to disagree, and thatā€™s ok by me. Have a good night (or day, depends on the part of the world you are).

2 Likes

Yes. Intentionally. Like, its openly by design. And Iā€™m glad they are cracking down on stuff because thereā€™s definitely other ways to monetize things in a more transparent way even by using loot boxes. It makes no sense morally but also imo, financially to keep it this way. But Iā€™m not an actiblizz manager

3 Likes

Sometimes. Not all loot boxes are the same, and only some should be considered gambling.

Lootboxes where the contents are readily converted to money are gambling, eg. Dota2 or CSGO. If you tell a player of those games to stop wasting their money on loot boxes a quite possible response is: ā€œdonā€™t worry, itā€™s an investment, I can sell it later.ā€

Lootboxes in OW are different because the rewards are entirely ingame. The RNG mechanics of an MMO or RPG are quite comparable. You pay to get the opportunity to get random loot in an MMO for an account that canā€™t be sold.

Random loot alone does not make something gambling or bad, and it quite often improves a game. Diablo3 is great because of RNG. If I knew what every monster in that game will drop every time, then Iā€™d find that quite a boring genre. Most wouldnā€™t classify D3 as gambling, but just a video game with RNG.

And thatā€™s what they are: games. When playing OW/Chess/Dota2 and I kill/eliminate/take an opposing player/hero/piece Iā€™m not murdering. When I play a digital poker game without real money rewards then Iā€™m not gambling even if the real world analogue is gambling. That money aspect is essential to the act, otherwise itā€™s a simulation.

I grew up in a culture where gambling is very common, even among the children. And even though I know people with gambling addiction problems I donā€™t have a problem with it because I know addiction and compulsory behavior exists in all parts of life. People are addicted to eating, alcohol, and even shopping.

If addiction is an issue, then address that. Moving away from loot boxes toward direct purchase doesnā€™t solve the addiction problem, it just shifts the target population. I read lots of people on here posting that theyā€™ll ā€œbuy so many skins with a direct purchase marketā€ and I canā€™t help but think thatā€™s a shopping addiction if I ever saw one. And if Fortnite has shown me anything itā€™s that heavily manipulating consumer sentiment to push shopping addiction is very lucrative.

It is if you BUY them with REAL MONEY. Aside from that, the random ones you get from leveling up or for completing one of those random character achievement thingsā€¦ya knowā€¦win 3 rounds win a loot box, and do it 2 more times, 2 more loot boxes. These are obviously not since your own game time, not your money was used to acquire them.

Generally itā€™s a one sided gambling thing in overwatch at least, when it comes to buying their loot boxes because you may get random crap. But that crap has no real value that you can exchange for real money. Itā€™s all in blizzards favor anyway.

Also, it would be an unfair advantage if the loot boxes that you would pay for gave you buffs or more damage or special features, so itā€™s not really that bad that you can buy them. Itā€™s only bad on ā€˜yourā€™ part since youā€™re wasting money buying things that really only make your character look or sound more diverseā€¦thatā€™s it.

Is a gumball machine gambling?

The idea that lootboxes should be banned because itā€™s gambling is idiotic. You get exactly what you pay for. A box with 4 random items.

If lootboxes go, then machines such as these need to go too.

Those ARE a little dastardly you know

1 Like

Not really, itā€™s just cheap plastic and candy.

Itā€™s new age gambling that prays on young kids or people who get the high from getting limited time legendaries.

Youā€™re paying for odds. The only difference is you donā€™t get more money.

Overwatch2 - mainly means new monetization scheme packed in to a bunch of skins and maybe new event