Are linked accounts same as merged accounts?

EDITED
Hello,

I m just wondering if “linked” accounts are same as “merged” accounts.

Basically I played most of the time on PS - I spent couple hundreds hours there, now I m playing on xbox and PC, but not so much. I dont have that PS anymore, but back in that time, I already linked battlenet account. So, now I can see that my account is linked with PS and XBOX

Question is : is there any necessary step I need to do for transferring my progress from PS, which was quite huge ?
I dont have that game on disc anymore ( game was sold with PS4) and any digi copy cannot be buy anymore.

But - as I can see my battlenet “linked” with PS and XBOX, I suggest it is same as “merged” ?

Thanks !

Solution :

OK, so I dig up around.
I checked battlenet page and found out that my account are linked. Which is ok and that is part of “linking”.

BUT !

I logged in to Overwatch viaPC ( at least that worked for me ), and Game prompted me to Account merge - > then I saw my both accounts, one for xbox and old one for PlayStation. After that, I clicked on “Confirm” and both accounts are now showing as “confirmed / merged”.

So I guess that should be it. I will check that on xbox, if something changed from that side, but from what I see now, it seems like battlenet is now properly merged with PS and XBOX accounts ( at least from my side on PC as both accounts from consoles are appearing in the game now).

Anyway - from that point - “Linked accounts ARE NOT SAME AS MERGED ACCOUNTS” Watch out for that. But if you have linked accounts, you should be able to merged them via PC without accessing them on console.

However, I m not sure if that is possible to do AFTER official launch. So I purchased Watchpoint pack, because I had to install OW on PC, and then I was able to login into the game on PC - > confirm both accounts via PC in the game.

However, for the next time, Blizz should be careful about terms which you are using : linked, merged and confirmed (which is appearing in the game) are three terms, one is about linking accounts, and two are about same state (merged / confirmed).

I, too, would like to know. I only remember linking my accounts when that crossplay update happened months ago, but this is the first I’ve heard of merging accounts.

1 Like

Also would love an answer. Ive been told it should be fine but then i see others say you MUST MERGE via the game. So i’m lost :confused: i’m in the same boat as I no longer having a working PS and am now an Xbox player as well

Hey all,

I asked around on this as I didn’t see it super clear in most articles that mention merging at this time(example). What I was told is players will need to confirm the accounts to be merged by signing into Overwatch via the console accounts. It is not enough to simply link via the Battle.net connections page. This does mean you would need access to a console version of the game to finalize the merge/link.

1 Like

Thank you for a genuine reply regarding this that’s not just a link to the FAQ Merge blog post lol.

So what should we do if we can’t access the original account anymore? Is it lost forever?

4 Likes

OK, so I dig up around.
I checked battlenet page and found out that my account are linked. Which is ok and that is part of “linking”.

BUT !

I logged in to Overwatch viaPC ( at least that worked for me ), and Game prompted me to Account merge - > then I saw my both accounts, one for xbox and old one for PlayStation. After that, I clicked on “Confirm” and both accounts are now showing as “confirmed / merged”.

So I guess that should be it. I will check that on xbox, if something changed from that side, but from what I see now, it seems like battlenet is now properly merged with PS and XBOX accounts ( at least from my side on PC as both accounts from consoles are appearing in the game now).

Anyway - from that point - “Linked accounts ARE NOT SAME AS MERGED ACCOUNTS” Watch out for that. But if you have linked accounts, you should be able to merged them via PC without accessing them on console.

However, I m not sure if that is possible to do AFTER official launch. So I purchased Watchpoint pack, because I had to install OW on PC, and then I was able to login into the game on PC - > confirm both accounts via PC in the game.

However, for the next time, Blizz should be careful about terms which you are using : linked, merged and confirmed (which is appearing in the game) are three terms, one is about linking accounts, and two are about same state (merged / confirmed).

Hi I play overwatch on one account on ps4 and didn’t do the merge option in game before the servers went down am I still able to merge my ps4 to my battle net. My ps4 is linked to my battlenet is that the same. Will my stats and cosmetic’s transfer. Thank you for reading this.

1 Like

You will have to merge that on PC. As mentioned above, “linked” doesnt mean “merged” automatically.

i think since majority of us has moved on from console and and dont want to spend the money to get that said console should be linked instead of merge. I cant keep going onto my brothers xbox and sit and wait countless hours with the error BC153 every time i get to “1 person ahead of you”.

i dont have the original game anymore on my ps4 console, so does that mean i cant get any of my skins or anything back? my main console still shows i played the game and i have all the trophies for it and i have it “linked” but none of my stuff is there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.