Are content creators more important than players?

I really do appreciate you both showing up around here, it always brightens my day to see a bluepost

I gotta ask though…Are we ever going to see Aaron K again? It just feels weird never seeing or hearing about/from him

I get that each director has their own style of working and doing things, but It feels like there’s no captain at the helm

9 Likes

Well… I wholeheartedly agree but I also have certain less-than-friendly takes about a certain lead designer.

1 Like

Then in exchange, tell them to keep their knowledge and meeting secret. Don’t tell them to go on twitter and tease us with about new information we have to wait months for. It’s very, very bad taste.

I would rather be fully kept in the dark.

Ignorance is bliss.

Great points here worded better than my own.

Thank you.

18 Likes

People are still complaining that content creators, who help market the IP by virtue of their jobs, are given earlier access to the information needed to do their jobs and help market the IP?

FYI this isn’t a Blizzard thing. It’s an industry thing, and it doesn’t delay your access to the product.

All of it is, “They’re not more important but also here is why they’re more important to us”.

:upside_down_face:

22 Likes

See its all well and good when there is constant news and updates ect

So that the community will be busy with other stuff and the CC’s can get ready for the new stuff

but when its been nothing for 1-2 years, its not really feasible imo

6 Likes

Yeah. Just bribe the influencers and ignore what the community has to say about it.

It is cheaper than making stuff for the game.

9 Likes

Yup. Right now the way things stand, they could come here and trash talk people with reckless abandon and actively mock and demean them on stream then get invited to come see the behind of OW2.

Someone could come here and say “That stream was not appropriate,” and get banned.

And then there’s this surprise that streamers are viewed as people of worth while this community is viewed as trash nobodies.

As long as people aren’t bashing or threatening, like all other promotional material people should be able to discuss what they are doing, even if it’s critical.

11 Likes

According to Blizzard, yes. It feels like their execs took a workshop on “social influencer marketing” and decided that was going to be their entire PR model from then on.

2 Likes

Yeah we can tell with blizz having content creator meetings and experimentals and radio silence for the community.

21 Likes

Thing is, unlike most content creators in other games that merely get a look behind the curtain, Overwatch’s seem to think that it’s a good idea to “brag” about what they’ve seen behind the curtain?

Take Valorant for example, a certain content creator got footage of upcoming cinematics and/or teasers, and rather than just saying that they got a look at it to their fanbase, they did the–somewhat clever–thing of putting a fuzzy screenshot of a moment of the cinematic at the very end of their video.

Sure, Overwatch doesn’t do much in the cinematic department, but the idea of being discrete about what you’ve seen is better received than just saying that you got exclusive access, in my opinion.

7 Likes

Could it have really hurt them to give us a little 30 second teaser?

It’s worse than the parallels between elites and plebs. Both get money, but one gets way more than the other for their ‘needs’. We don’t even get less information, just nothing, zip, zilch, nada.

10 Likes

Listen, I hear what you’re saying, but let’s put a pin in this and circle back offline. We really need to be thinking outside of the box here, and working to drive synergy across all verticals.

Excuse me now…I need a shower.

11 Likes

Solutions need to be soup-to-nuts while we need to strike while the iron is hot with synergy in a state of the art table stakes, taking strides to take to the next level and task a thought leader to touch base and get traction to unpack and utilize the valued partner of a white paper in a win-win world class zero-sum game.

1 Like

I mean, this is kind of the nail in the coffin for me.

You guys made OW1 waste away because you’re working on OW2 and now despite giving us a horrible product like OW1 to hang in limbo for years you’re sharing basically nothing with the community that’s chosen to stick around your dead game.

Ridiculous, I’m actually done now.

8 Likes

9 Likes

Content creator behavior is a separate issue. OW CCs are jackasses. We all know this.

But we don’t know whose idea it was for them to all tweet about it. Could have been Blizz’s given that they seemed strategically coordinated, but who knows?

4 Likes

I really appreciate all you are doing Andy.

Even though the lack of information about OW2 and lack of content from current game is very depressing, your doing great job chatting to us! Thank you.

2 Likes

:pensive: not to derail the thread but I’m still a bit sour from yesterday.

I get what you were trying to do but you had information on the event that you could have provided the general community with ahead of time… but instead you took it upon yourself to make the decision to deal with the fallout after the fact. We already get so little info, making the conscious decision to leave us in the dark and just take the community angst on the chin… really feels like you’re a bit more disconnected than what I initially believed.

12 Likes

Hmm, I wouldn’t say “all of them,” but some are a bit… boisterous, for the likes of me. Frankly, I think some sort of disconnect is happening within the marketing department? This company has always been “retro” when it comes to modern-day, so perhaps whoever’s in the marketing department is stuck in the past in terms of how they handle community affairs?

1 Like