Are content creators more important than players?

I don’t really see this as pinning down Andy.

I just see frustrated players looking for answers :man_shrugging:

And Andy is our best bet to getting some information.

19 Likes

The way its been done with the tone and all really suggests, especially when he already made that point clears like 3 times just last night.

I’m not gonna argue the way the announcements have been handle arent poopy but that’s up to management that’s above him.

2 Likes

It’s funny, Stylosa (popular OW Youtuber) recently exposed the fact that Blizzard’s PR were always horrible to work with whenever he had to deal with them. Apparently they were extremely stingy with what they would allow the devs to talk about, and even how much time he could spend talking to them. He essentially had to sneak off with Jeff, who was more than happy to share lots of stuff with him, and hide from the PR department at Blizzard.

Seems like this current content creator focus is their best attempt at correcting that, but of course they went about it in the most counter-productive way possible. The only people excited by that meeting are the content creators themselves, while the rest of us that heard about it are just mad.

Seems like the entire PR department needs to go. Blizzard’s rep is in the trash, the rep for all their games is in the trash. Seems like they are failures by any metric anyway. I have no idea what value they provide to the company at all.

22 Likes

Now I’m really confused. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the two of you in the same room.

15 Likes

Well I can see what your saying…

Passive-aggressiveness.

1 Like

This is something I agree with, and will take accountability for. I didn’t quite anticipate the creator response coming out of the call that folks are commonly referencing.

Moving forward we’ll be more discrete, so as not to build hype and excitement before it’s time.

26 Likes

Will we know what said information was… soon?

I just want some information on that event that took place, will it ever go public?

1 Like

Problem is, Andy is really our only onnection to the actual dev team and the worse they perform the harsher people will be on Andy.

That being said the general discontnet is understanable, the only thing Andy can do right now is, well, talk to us and most of us have reached a point of “Empty/shallow” words from Blizzard.

12 Likes

Honestly given some of the stuff i’ve read, that would be an understatement.

I’ve had some quarrels with some actiblizz people on the forum myself but i feel like people here are beating on a dead horse on points already made very recently.

We’re just taking the piss for the sake of it at this point.

1 Like

I get both sides entirely, but as an (admittedly) smaller content creator - this is why the embargos with the top dogs sting as much as they do.

I like to make, scripted, well thought out and less ‘sensationalized’ content but am now at a huge disadvantage because those big guys all get the jump before the rest of us.

Personally, I prefered it when everyone had equal opportunity to make content on the game, but I understand the benefits.

11 Likes

100% honesty? Yeah, content creators are WAY more important, they kind of create what we play. We are secondary(but important too). Now weather we like what they push out? That is PURELY subjective and they just need more yes’s than no’s.

Is a painter as important as the painting or to go further the person who is looking/buying the painting? The creator is first always in all things. EVERYTHING ELSE is important but secondary.

Don’t expect this level of wisdom from me on these forums ever again. Live well and free.

Its that simple.

1 Like

Even if there had been an NDA around the idea of the call itself, it still would have been very telling that a bunch of people who were feeling rather hopeless, and openly saying so, suddenly are not saying the same things as before.

Even if they do not say why or do not even say that they are, the absence of what had existed before would have been a red flag that gave away the existence of the meeting itself, especially given that we now know that such meetings exist.

1 Like

Fair. In which case I’d like to suggest that it be fed back that something such as a roadmap is long overdue and would help revive the hype.

We’re more than 2 years into this now. The current situation is far below what many have come to expect from Blizzard. That expectation is itself a credit to Blizzard devs in general but it’s also crucial that Blizzard recover their high standards reputation.

If the main game is going to be abandoned the devs need hype for OW2. Streamers saying what is essentially “trust me bro” isn’t going to cut it.

4 Likes

I understand, and to be honest, I wish we could have a 1:1 relationship with every OW content creator in the same way we do with what roughly the top 15-20% of our creator community.

I mentioned this to you in another thread, but it’s on me to define how we support content creators at each step of their journey. Nothing else to share here, aside from that it’s something I’m working on.

10 Likes

Can you not? I’ve seen enough conspiracy posts yesterday. We don’t need more :rofl: . Or maybe we do :thinking:

Personally, I’m on the side of “it’s not a fair question”. lol… it makes perfect sense (especially after reading Andy’s original post in this thread) why content creators would gain access to certain information before the player base.

As it’s been pointed out… the content creators’ livelihoods rest on the success of both this game and Blizzard… avg player, yeaaaaaaaaaaah not so much.

So in essence all this means is, the next time content creators find out something before the players, both blizz and the creators wont say a word about it until it’s ready because what the playerbase doesn’t know won’t hurt it lol

3 Likes

When the ball gets rolling a little more, I can only assume we will get more communication which will help bridge that ‘Creators knowing everything, players knowing nothing’ gap. Shaping it into ‘Creators get a little heads up, but players can prepare in their own ways too’ would be great.

Appreciate the frequent updates on here either way, and I’m looking forward to seeing how these things develop to foster an even better Overwatch creator + player community!

They’ve spoiled that themselves. The least popular seasonal event missing just a couple skins set off a firestorm of outrage, because this company and this game’s rep is in the trash and players have run out of patience. Whoever is in charge of “major beats and announcements” is doing a bad job.

Like, what do you think is going to happen when your big, mind-blowing OW2 reveal extravaganza happens, and players inevitably notice one or two less-than-ideal features, and that becomes the entire focus everywhere online because no one has any patience left and you’ve burned all your goodwill ages ago?

LOL

You guys should hang up a sign – “It has been [one] days since Blizzard made a promise that caused more harm than good.”

14 Likes

I suspect the only reason the call happened because some youtube metric dropped below a critical value

“we need to prevent the free labour who advertise our products switching to a competitor”

“spend $500 on each of them and show them some info, that’ll keep them for another 6 months”

15 Likes

No offense, but kind of a bad take^

Most updates to this game, save for a few very rare exceptions, have been met with derision, toxicity and bad mouthing of the devs. It has more to do with the impatience of the community.

4 Likes