Anyone else felt dissapointed by The Hero of Numbani?

No problem, I was just curious but I don’t want to spoiler it for others in this comment sections.
Thanks tho!

… which is not the mark of a Mary Sue. It’s the mark of a narrative arc that is rooted in her prioritizing her relationships with others instead of just proving she’s smarter than everyone else in order to solve the problem presented by the plot.

Efi as a Mary Sue would have gotten everything right in an unbelievable manner. Instead, Efi as written is a realistic depiction of a child genius struggling with her place in the world.

I don’t think you properly understand what a Mary Sue is.

8 Likes

Shut up Meg…

I stand by what I said. She’s too Mary Sueish for my taste.

I find it funny that you actually said “realistic depiction of a child genius”. Why not add that she’s the best roboticist, now is a millionaire and is the wokest activist that does best for her community?

Eh, I don’t think it was bad.

Definitely a 6/10 or a 6.5/10; not bad, but definitely not great either.

Efi, while being a super genius, DID go through numerous slices of humble pies because her screw-ups. No amount of super-genius will ever replace years upon years of real-world experience & wisdom and it showed.

That said…

I felt that the inclusion of voice lines and command phrases from the game was a bit much and didn’t really feel all that fitting in an actual literary piece (very cringe-worthy indeed).

Not only that, but I also felt like the Overwatch in-game characters felt very unbelievable as characters and more like characters that you’d see on a Saturday-morning cartoon.

Meanwhile, the regular denizens of Numbani were definitely more believable as individuals.

4 Likes

Absolutely agree with those statements

Wait, this exists…?

You’re a bit late. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

She’s not the best roboticist - there’s plenty of examples of her getting things wrong and having to work to fix them.

She’s not a millionaire - 10 million naira is about $250,000 USD, and most of that gets used up buying Orisa and paying for the damages she causes.

She’s not “the wokest activist” - she tries to help, but those attempts often backfire and she has to learn a different way of doing things.

Oh boy… here we go.

If you liked Efi’s portrayal, that’s fine. You must love your young adult literature. I sure as hell didn’t.

I didn´t read it yet, but I see Efi like this: if our generation kids are able to use smartphones, why kids of 2070 would not be able to create a robot?

How long has this been around?! :wave: :rofl:

1 Like

Well… She’s supposed to be a genious. Not everyone can build a robot, as far as I could tell…

We can surely use a smartphone, but it’s not like we can just build one…

About 2 weeks.

1 Like

I was going to put a video here, but for some reason I cannae do that anymore…? Trust level hasn’t changed, though…Haven’t been banned…Am confused…Either way…

https://youtu.be/frKJmnp4blo

1 Like

No, but when I was a kid, there were no smartphones. We had no internet and we shared one crappy PC as whole family with the simplest games. Now every random kid can instal games, use smartphones and other things. Technical things change very quickly - in 2070, I belive a nine year old kids can play with robots and can build some as toys or whatever. She builded a bigger one. Also I remember this few genious kids, who were able to build their own working projects for physic or chemistry classes. I had one classmate like this on elementary school - he was creating this technical things and they worked.

A Mary Sue doesn’t make mistakes though - what you have singled out and discussed with the others is character development - the writing showing that Efi is understanding of her mistakes and she is going on a never-ending journey of self-improvement.

Lol

2 Likes

A lot of people abuse the term Mary Sue, and use it as shorthand for I don’t like this character.

1 Like

So it’s the typical do-gooder woke crap we are used to now in 2020?

1 Like

hahahahahahaha. yes.

1 Like

Hhmmmn shallow and pedantic, yeees