Anyone else dealing with DDOSers?

My friends and I have been hit offline at least once a day for playing comp on console and wondering if Blizzard plans on doing something about it or if they are even capable of doing something.

I dont have an issue on pc with it but my friends are on console and its really becoming frustrating how often this is happening.

Is there a way you can set a firewall on your router?

Wouldn’t that be an issue for the console itself?

I might be able to, Im going to look into that

A firewall won’t stop a DDoS attack.

I honestly dont know since i dont play the pc version often enough to warrant the chance of it happening. I just know its popular on console now since no one cares anymore and the people who do it dont get banned

Sadly enough console has an extremely big issue surrounding DDOS, i really hope we’re going to hear something about this soon.

Unsure if this is something Blizzard should be able to deal with or the console manufacturers.

I found this. Might give a bit insight since a blue name responded.

I’m bringing this up specifically because it is impossible for someone to get your IP address from within Overwatch. We do not use any Peer to Peer connectivity in Overwatch - as both your game connections and Vivox go through our centralized servers.

Currently, some Party Chat on Xbox Live goes through Peer to Peer, but this is a problem that Microsoft is currently working on . Because Peer to Peer connections do not occur within Overwatch, your best chance at avoiding such an attack is to never join an Xbox Party Chat Request from someone you do not trust. If you only use Overwatch in game chat to communicate, you will not have your IP exposed, since all traffic goes through a centralized server.

It does answer a few quesstions, but not how people are getting my IP. I know consoles have always ive seen this issue since ive had XBL during the Halo 2 era.

I guess there must be some program xbox related that pulls the info which is disappointing.

Maybe getting a VPN would help to mask my IP?

how are you getting DDOSed on console?

don’t you have to accept a party invite from the perpetrators for them to be able to do that? at least that’s how it goes on ps4. not sure if it’s easier on xbone. but the general rule of thumb is don’t accept invites from randoms

What upsets me is how obvious it usually is. they play 80% of the round, suddenly afk for like 30 seconds, one of your teammates “leaves the game”, then they start playing again.

It used to be just parties that youd have to avoid but lately my groups only in voice chat lately and were individually targeted easily

damn, that’s unsettling

if xbox systems have some sort of vpn I definitely would try changing mine if that happened to me more than once

This is sadly out of Blizzard’s control, the console manufacturers (Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo respectively) are responsible for needing to deal with this.

Could Help, but I don’t know if that goes against any ToS