Anybody else find Shocking Surprise to be pretty BS as a challenge?

It’s easily the hardest out of all the Junkenstein challenges available since the Shock-Tires are fast, deal ridiculous damage to the door and take away half your health if you’re near one when it blows

But that’s not the BS part. The BS part is that Bosses always spawn 2 Tires on death. Since your objective is to guard the dooe, this usually means they spawn 2 tires right in front of the door with literally no way to react to it unless the boss was killed by Torb’s Molten Core. That’s an instant quarter of the door’s hsalth taken off with no way to prevent it (and if it’s in the red, an unavoidable game over).

How exactly did this get past testing???

1 Like

Pro tip: Brigitte is a god (or goddess I guess) in this mode. She has the survivability to kite the bosses away from the door, allowing your team to dispose of them with the tires, and her whip shot is great at delaying tires.

9 Likes

Oh yes i actually found it really hard! Especially when the wheels insta spawn next to the door and blow it up is kinda BS

it probably can be done with coordination and the right chars

My testing shown that ashe is good due to coach gun, and torb due to molten core

When I did it I just made sure to save some ammo and my helix rocket for just after the boss died.

Brig is good for the boss, pretty terrible for the rest though due to her low dmg she’s really bad at killing tires. Normally her whip shot can push them back but in this mode they spawn to fast for the CD.

Mostly I find Torb (obviously), Hanzo (if he’s good not having to reload is a god send, and the dragon last long enough to wipe out the tires it spawns) and probably Zen because of discord and good at dmging the tires. Hero’s that have low dmg or have to reload a lot are a bad idea.

Strangely enough I find soldier more useful due to Tac Visor being pretty good for killing tires and Mcreee while normally a good pick kills to many things at once with Dead eye, spawning tons of tires at once.

The main issue though is having a team willing to listen and not fight right at the door with bosses. I think it’s a decent challenge and I enjoy it for the most part.

My only real complaint it’s the last challenge and we have the least time to complete it/enjoy it. It’s also pretty hard without a good team, first one I failed at tbh. Every other one was pretty much first or second try win.

Don’t leave Baptiste out. Nothing in Junkenstein does a lot of damage, so you can help mow stuff down from the sniper perch and you have a lot of ammo compared to other heroes.

The clear I got was with Baptiste/76/Torb/Zen.

1 Like

I mean, it’s the only actual challenge but that’s a good thing and fun.

Torb + Zen + any two non-Genji/Tracer/Widow combo is usually a win even with dum-dums. Easy mode if people are smart and actually kite and stuff, and even less optimal comps would probably be fine in that case.

Not as BS as the Mystery Heroes one, that’s for sure.

Regarding the bosses death tires: I just went Torb and made sure they always died in my lava. Since the tires pause for a second on spawn they usually die even without any further attacks.

3 Likes

We used McCree and Bap on left high ground, torb and Soldier on the highground next to the door.

Bap window and hogh noon make short work of every boss that the game throws at you qhile you just spray out a molten core floor in front of the door (with enough space covered) to deal with all the tires McCree just spawned.

Soldier is just there to catch all the zombadiers tires from in between and help clean up zomnics the team might have missed.

I want to know whose bright idea it was to make all the challenges Expert difficulty?

All I do all damn day is discord tire after tire after tire only to die because two Zombardiers sneezed on me. Seriously, lower their damage. Trying to stagger kills on them is nigh impossible when they start piling up (especially when a boss spawns, like Summoner, since YOU can’t shoot through her shield, but the Zombardiers sure can!) because between the naturally-spawning tires and the dumb as all hell AI that doesn’t know who to chase down to get away from the door, this challenge is way more frustrating than it has to be.

2 Likes

I wrote a post about the situation but if you give one general tip for the mode.
Torbjorn,Zenyatta,Hanzo,Mccree. just keep bosses away from the door and this combo will win you the match without any problem.
When we used it I think we won with only 1 or 2 tires hitting.

I can’t overstate how much I agree with this sentiment. You can plan out what to do with Shocking, but there’s nothing you can do about triple Widow except pray it doesn’t happen.

1 Like

Only blues and bosses drop tires it’s pretty easy

Literally took one try to learn yellows don’t drop tires and blues do but the team was trash and learned it half way through so next time I queued up I played bap and focused all the blues and barely healed bc we had a zen also

Btw this was with randoms and no coms

But we at least didn’t get something that we don’t win in first try,although TBH all the challenges were BS this year exept the mystery heroes,that was quite interesting.

I did every challenge first try, but Shocking surprise did take me 3 trys.
Managed to do it with Torb, Bap, McCree and Soldier

I won it in first attempt. Other teammates locked down all the dps, so I went with Zenyatta. I just put an orb on a tire and turret destroys it in half a second.

MH version isn’t hard at all unless you only choose to play like one hero all the time

Even when my group got 3 widows and an Ana for last group we still pulled it off pretty easily (albeit slowly)…it’s not like the enemies do much dmg…and I believe the difficulty setting for the mode itself is like “hard”

I found it fun, normally Junkenstien is too easy for me. The biggest challenge tends to be the reaper, try to kite him away from the door and you should be good. Also use hitscan heroes, my preferance for that mode is Soldier+Torb+Mccree+Bap.
Tac Visor Kills tires for free, Deadeye+Amp matrix kills everything else, Torb turret is a godsend and the boy’s meaty enough to bait reaper away from the door.

Good luck out there and have fun!