Any advice for a “new” player

Does anyone have advice for a console player switching to pc? On console I’ve hit almost level 670 (praying for cross progression to come soon I’ll miss my skins) but I’ve never played a pc game aside from…literally club penguin I think.

So any advice to make the transition smoother? Like should I just play against ai until I get the controls down or should I go straight into Qp and pray the match making gods are merciful?

1 Like

There’s no replacement for practicing against real people, but I’d probably recommend that you load up the training grounds first to find a mouse sensitivity that you’re comfortable with and get a feel for the keybinds for your preferred heroes.

The matchmaking gods are rarely merciful in this game.

Learn your mouse sens with your mouse pad.

Using your mouse, do a full mouse pad right to left, and in game that should be “180 degrees”, a full turn around. (Change your sens if too fast for 180 degrees on your mousepad, slow-med sens is good!)

This will help you with your sens as a beginner as you know now know your degrees and with something that’s visually in front of you, which will help your accuracy.

On top of that, just training mode with music and bots like the old days.

Honestly, OW isn’t a great game to learn on. I played Rainbow Six Siege a lot when I transferred from PS4 and PC and in that game THunt was a great way to get the mechanics of using the mouse to aim, while learning the movement and getting used to not hitting the wrong keys. It’s a very low stress way of doing it and there’s clear positive feedback for when you’ve been successful (like killing an enemy after hitting a bullet).

With OW, there’s no equivalent since the AI modes suck, but it’s still worth a try. In a real game, you’ll probably spend more time dead than alive and that’s not really good for practicing your basic mechanics.

I recently transitioned also, and even though I’m doing half controller/half mouse (controller for movement, mouse for aim), I found that jumping into QPC with someone like Rein just to get accustomed to the new control scheme without having too much pressure on hitting shots/precise aiming has been a non-stressful way to orient myself and re-train my muscle memory.

uninstall and get a refund if you can. the game is 100% certified trash.

So unnecessarily toxic.

Let them find out themselves.

2 Likes

you’re right. the game is awesome. op make sure you take the tutorial, it has all the info you need to reach gm.

The only advice I’ll say is that the definitive experience for aiming on mouse seems to be low sensitivity with high mouse pad space. The idea being that your arm provides the fast 360/180 rotations and course correction. With low sensitivity and some hand/wrist movements you can more finely tune tracking someone.

Though of course I don’t do this because of small pad size and do a full character rotate in 8cm.

Most important tip in my opinion - > Do not get frustrated if you do not perform as well as you did on your console OW version.
PC is different, the opponents are different and your settings (of course).

Give yourself time to learn it again and just have fun! :slight_smile:

I been using M+KB on PS4 long before going to PC and there are a few options available

• Razer Orbweaver
  • Azeron [ I use this ]
  • Logitech G13
  • PS Nav

I have all of them. I don’t want to use KB tbh. Never did on PS4. Not going to on PC.

1 Like

Get comfortable on your MKB setups, find the right sens/DPI for your mouse and you’re set. Everyone is different, and some prefer 800 DPI, other likes 1600 DPIs. If your mouse have the option (or a dedicated DPI button), use it to find which is the best for you.

Then go around a couple of Arcades or DM games to get used to it.

Oh yeah, people will also call you a smurf because, technically, you are, but yeah.

Or you can normalize your MMR and go to the Arcade to play QPC and practise there.

What I’d recommend is copying some pro’s mouse settings and getting used to those settings. Setting up your setup that way and then getting used to it through consistent gameplay is what sets you up for success. That goes obviously for other settings too (so your game will run as close to your monitor’s maximum FPS output) but they’re setup once and forget level of stuff

Then pick up a role that you wanna commit to keeping the upcoming 5v5 format in mind and going to QPC and just get used to playing the game that way

Playing against hard AI doesn’t do anything for you and you’ll just end up picking very bad habits from playing against them since you just want to spam damage onto them as effectively as possible and losing is never an option as long as you’re willing to switch heroes. It’s kind of a waste of time tbh for those who aren’t absolute beginners at the game

Don’t listen to the toxics. Don’t reply to the messages and ignore them in chat too.

Start with vs. AI to make sure you can hit the broad side of a barn. Then play quickplay once you feel somewhat comfortable. Then if you enjoy competitive give that a go once you feel comfortable with your aim