An update on ult casts

Awhile back, Blizzard released an update that affected how ult casts work, regarding on if it used the ult. I remember that it was met with a lot of disapproval, as it didn’t do what it was meant to do (genji dying while ulting and keeping it) I haven’t seen anything about it in the last few months, so I want to bring it back up. Do you think the changes made were good, or should it had been reverted?

Revert 100%

It just causes more saltiness and toxicity when you ult and lose it instantly.

:<

1 Like

Mechanically it was a good change, all ultimate are now expired when Q is pressed, meaning you have commit to them and get no second changes if you mess it up and use it at the wrong time, and no hero gets special treatment and gets to cast it again if they mess up while others don’t (Genji was the main complaint over this).

The way it was handled though on some heroes wasn’t good though, espically for channeled ults. Things like Pulse bomb and Snowball disappearing in mid air when you get stunned or die when it was clear they already left your hand need to get looked into.

I highly recommend you to read this thread. It explains what is the cause of disappearing projectiles mid air and what affects it.
[PROOF] Projectile Ults blocked by Lag

The one thing I find strange is how every ultimate is cancelable in the cast animation with a stun EXCEPT transformation ultimates. This is the only inconsistent part of it if you’d ask me.

Well, channeled ultimates can be canceled any time to begin with, not just during their cast time. Transformation ultimates can’t be canceled at all. So the casting animation isn’t relevant with that. If it’s a channeled ultimate, it can be canceled. If it’s a transformation ultimate, it can not. That’s about it.

But why aren’t transformation ultimates cancelable in the cast animation with stuns?

• Mercy heals from a distance and can fly freely.
  • Genji has the mobility to close the distance.
  • Soldier’s ultimate is an autoaim and works from all distances.
  • Winston can jump into action.

Why should these ultimates get a special treatment and other ultimates who are designed to be used in a group fights like Reinhardt’s and Lúcio’s ultimate not?
Why are the dissappearing projectile ultimates fine but stunning a transformation ultimate in cast time not?

This is what I find strange.

It does make sense. However, you also have to consider the fact dragonblade used to be a channeld ult, then come the update, it became a transformation ult.

I’m not saying Genji is OP, but the change was a little fishy.

It wasn’t a channeled ult though. If you stunned Genji while he used it it did not get canceled, and he could use all of his abiliteis. There was a bug however where it could get canceled during the cast time, which got fixed to align with every other transformation ult.

I agree that his ultimate should be a transformation ultimate. Transformation ultimates act like buffs to heroes and allow them to use most of their abilities.

What I don’t understand is why transformation ultimates get a special treatment.

That’s what I find strange. The changes were added to make ultimates more consistent and fair, but this seems just like the opposite.

1 Like

I remember being the very problem people pointed out. The change was made to prevent transformation ults from being refunded (Dragonblade in particular) yet they are the ones that aren’t affected by it.

Revert for the love of god. I’ll take Genji re-using ult any day over this stupid frustrating [redacted].