An inside look at the ping system in Overwatch 2

Thanks for the details Jodie! Another question - if I’m shooting at an enemy, and a teammate pings them, will the ping indicator appear for me right under my crosshair? That feels like it would be distracting, I’d rather only see the indicator for enemies that are in my periphery field of vision.

1 Like

I gotta admit: This is rly well done. Although yes, I see problems and issues and such, I can at the very least say that this new system will b an improvement to our current OW communication system. But a swift question, if I may: Would the ping b up in the sky if u pinged a Pharah, and what happens if Pharah gets out of LoS of u? Will the Ping stay there up in the sky? Or will it perhaps potentially fall down and ping the ground of the general area of where the Pharah is?

True but just knowing someone’s general location isn’t like too helpful there. Comming “ana in server room” on gibraltar, you know there’s an ana there now, the same is accomplished if someone pings the ana. You dont know exactly where if you can’t see her still. It was clarified if someone like sombra pings someone’s position not only can she not ping anyone else but if you don’t have los it won’t update the position.

I mean, the sombra could just hack them and give you walls and that would be way more meaningful than the ping which is another reason I don’t really understand the problem since sombra just gives you walls when she hacks people now (omegalul)

Missed opportunity to say they didn’t re-invent the (communication) wheel…I’m not mad, just disappointed… :frowning:

1 Like

Please Blizzard, don’t try to do something unique. Just copypaste what Apex did.

I feel like this isn’t going to change much. I don’t know how this will effect high Sr gameplay considering it’s already very fast paced, and the players are probably smart enough to not need it. As for low Sr gameplay, people are going to be too slow or they’re just going to spam it. I hope it’s going to make playing better, but I can’t see that happening. This is basically just making in game voice lines more cosmetic.

I don’t understand this attitude. It’s not ‘the highlight of your game’. It’s called out in the article as a quality of life feature, not as a huge new feature that is the focus of OW2. If they were trying to make a huge deal of it, they wouldn’t be announcing it in a blog post. It really just seems like you’re determined to be negative.

As a hint, the “big deal” things in Overwatch 2 PVP are the things they feature prominently in video - usually live video - maps, heroes, new sounds, new UI and new looks for all heroes. Today’s blog post is filler content, designed to bridge the gap between now and the start of the Beta in April when people will be able to see everything that is in the first Beta. After that, will come more content announcements followed by a second beta, and so on and so on.

1 Like

And then Blizzard invented a ping system. Wait until the gaming community hears about this! :heart_eyes_cat:

Neat tip: if you jump whilst moving, you’re momentum remains regardless if continue moving afterwards or not. So I recommend when pulling up the wheel to do jump while doing so. If you have quick reflexes (like moi) then comms aren’t a problem.

Cool! Good luck on Overwatch 2 :3

Sombra + ping isn’t really OP at all. Especially if you can only ping one target at a time. It just gives Sombra players who aren’t in voice chat more value to the team than they would’ve been. Sombra players in voice can just easily call out each enemy players position from the backline w/out ping already.

1 Like

Useless unnecessary clutter. I will be muting anyone who uses it. talk in voice like a person.

And now people would spam ping instead of voice lines.

This will be handy on europe where we have more than 30 languages

1 Like

We’ll see how this helps with extremely tunnel visioning teammates, you know the kind.
We’ll definately need more ‘carrot on a stick’-like features like these.

Just leaving my personal opinion but sombra as an infiltrator makes sense that will have the ping system powerful, the problem could be that ow2 sombra is more assassin but I can’t really say anything

You’ll be muting every team you are on then.

What do you mean “now”? You could always communicate with voicelines. And then you got even more voicelines with all the “fall back”. Problem is there’s always plenty of spammers who do nothing but “hello” the whole time, or think they’re funny trying to sync up the countdown with Athena at the start or Genji spamming his ult every two percent. That made people ignore those voicelines. Not to mention how it’s just spam and it clutters both text and voice chats.

And I do have a mic, but since day zero I refused to use voice chat just to hear some kids complain how no one follows them when in reality they just feed 1v6.

That’s a really cool préview, but players will always find a way to be toxic and troll with the tool.

Can we get a video demonstration at some point?