AMD FX processor fps drops

So, I’ve opened a ticket befor and I was told that my processor seemed to be having a problem with the game. Out of the blue, randomly my fps started spiking extremely badly and has been doing so for a month so far. I was told I had to wait for a fix from AMD or blizzard.

Blizzard hasn’t released a patch yet and AMD apparently doesn’t even support my processor anymore (FX-4300)

Wondering how I should proceed in this situation and where could I find a fix from AMD?

2 Likes

Same here buddy (AMD FX-6100)

Those fps-drops started with the Busan-patch for me and since then the game is legit unplayable.

10-20fps when there are team fights around me
30-35fps when I stand far away from everyone else

There are some other threads about this and we still don’t have a solution.
At this point we’re just waiting for blizzard to do something but who knows when that will happen.

1 Like

I noticed something when playing in overwatch. It isn’t utilizing all of more cores, CPU1 isn’t doing anything according to msi afterburner.

Could this be the problem?

You need to be fastidious with FX processors ( esp. the 43/6300 ) about other processes in the background. Go through and take a look and see if anything ( Chrome and Firefox are notorious candidates ) running.

For what it’s worth, the FX processors are from 2011, so I’m surprised Blizz is supporting 7 year old architectures at all, but there it is.

Something that may help is dropping graphics settings. Your gpu, unless it’s really, really, low end, will pretty easily choke a 6300.

The 4300 isn’t even a Quadcore, it’s AMD’s weird Bulldozer shennagains ( I had an 8320e ). It’s not even remotely ideal for gaming, if you have a 4300, you can probably nab a used 83something for cheap.

I can tell you it’s not my gpu throttling my cpu because I’ve played fine with above average fps for over a year in overwatch until one day it randomly started acting up in September

Btw, just like to add, my bios version was released on 4/22/15, according to msi, there is no 4/22/15 and only a 4/23/15

Should I just try flashing that?

Do not upgrade your BIOS unless you have a damn good reason, there’s too much of a risk of bricking things. Check to see what the newer BIOS revision adds/changes and see if that’ll affect anything you need. If it doesn’t change anything relevant to your usecase, don’t mess with it.

Was to,d to update my bios as a potential fix, but :man_shrugging:

I’m certain my problem is coming from my processor, so do you have any clues in what it may be?

Well if you do not know how to update your BIOS I wouldn’t recommand trying it but if you actually know how to do it - maybe go and give it a shot.
Because that’s what I did yesterday and while I still get some slight drops my fps stays around 50-60 now which is like… so much better than 10-20 lol.

But like I said - I do not recommend it if you don’t know how to do it but if you do, it’s actually worth a shot

We have been seeing similar reports of FPS drops on FX processors and with that, the fix for many of the cases we’ve seen is to update the BIOS. With that said, as others have mentioned, this is something you should only do if you’re comfortable doing so and know what you’re doing. If there’s any uncertainty, we’d recommend contacting the motherboard manufacturer for assistance.

I am experiencing the same problem as you were. I have a question, what motherboard do you have and how old was the driver you updated from and how old was the driver you updated to?

Am I at a dead end if im already running the latest version of bios?

I don’t know, but I think i’m gonna try updating, I am at version 3 of 7 right now