Am I the only person who didn't hate Horizon or Paris?

I feel like I’m the only one out there, but I never hated these maps (especially Horizon). I’d even go on a limb to say I don’t see what the issue is with Horizon at least, as they already reworked it. Just two less maps we get to play in the game which is kind of a bummer. Reminds me of the Haunted Mines map on Heroes of the Storm; the game lost map development team, so we know we’ll never get a new map in that video game, but people called for it to be removed, even from quick play in HOTS. I guess I just don’t get it. :confused:

8 Likes

I like them too.
When I ask people whats wrong with those maps they have no answer they just hate them lol.
Sometimes they say its the 1st choke on Paris, but any flanker like Sombra, Tracer , or even Hammond, standing on the point , messes up any defensive strat the defensive team has. And the attackers can easily get in.

Open maps>>>>> tight, closed in maps.

The maps i hate the most are Anubis and first point Dorado.

3 Likes

If it makes you feel better, OP, I’d rather not play any 2CP whatsoever.

4 Likes

Horizon is my least favorite and a big disappointment. I’ve never seen a space map so dull before.

4 Likes

I’m with you. I won’t defend them as the best maps but I feel like the hate is undeserved. I can kind of understand Paris, the first chokepoint is more restrictive than most other maps and, although I haven’t measured to find out for sure, it certainly feels like it’s the longest distance from spawn to object than other maps. Otherwise, the map itself has not been the source of any frustrations I’ve had with it; it’s been people leaving the game on that map.

Also, I don’t see why they removed the maps from Comp but not QP. If anything, it should be the other way around. Comp plays two rounds minimum, attacking and defending, so any flaws in the map that results in a disadvantage/advantage for one side, the other team will also have. What’s more balanced than both teams taking turns with the same advantages/disadvantages? That’s not afforded to QP players who only play one side, and QP will almost certainly have even more leavers than Comp because the penalty for leaving is much less severe.

2 Likes

I dont hate paris (second point atleast). I think both maps (or 2 cp in general) would benefit from having a defense spawn closer to the first point similar to how payload maps sets the defense spawn closer to the current objective.

2 Likes

Imo, the only change that paris needs are for the defenders to have their spawn moved a little bit away from the second point. It’s so close, the point takes forever to cap because trickling is actually a viable strategy on it.

They should at least have a short walk to get to the point like all the other maps.

1 Like

I like all the maps.

People just need things to complain about.

3 Likes

No, there are some who like these maps, or at least don’t think that they’re worst maps. In fact my favorite OW streamer likes these maps more than Ilios and a few other KOTH maps since they’re not very support friendly.

That being said there’s very legit reasons as to why nobody likes these maps and they’re simply design issues. To argue that these design issues aren’t concrete and that everyone is just being biased, is extremely hypocritical considering it’s always coming from those who want to defend these maps out of their own subjective biases, while it has been acknowledged from the devs’ side that these maps are in fact problematic. That’s where the argument ends.

1 Like

I like horizon. Paris on the other hand… it’s meh. I hate lijiang and nepal more

1 Like

Horizon is fine, it’s largely a hero pool problem over general 2CP design problems. Paris is legitimately annoying to fight on, optimal positioning is just super awkward for every character and every side except 1st forward choke defense, which is far too good.

Havana is worse than both.

2 Likes

Paris point B would be OK-ish if the Attacker’s spawn weren’t so far away from the point

Paris point A is a mess and unpleasant to play for both attackers and defenders if your team isn’t extremely well coordinated

Horizon is just a grey, dull map that is overly tight in Point A. It is one of the only maps that has virtually zero flanker routes.

1 Like

Sigh, What is wrong with Havana?
Its one of my favs, but like i said before. I like open maps Like Junkertown.

2 Likes

Horizon might just be my fav 2CP map

I have gripes with Paris…but it’s almost never the ones people mention about Paris…my issues have always been with how long it is for a 2CP map…deaths are VEEEEEERRRRRY punishing

1 Like

It’s far too open, and sightlines are too long. Junkertown has plenty of cover, and more importantly, in relevant places, and cuts also sightlines with curves. Havana is tower defense levels of walking into bullets.

2 Likes

Honestly, I know this is an unpopular opinion and not shared by everyone, but I think Havana is like 3x better than Horizon and Paris. I think overly open maps are bad, but still better than overly tight maps. Tight maps like Horizon A are unpleasant and make everyone SUPER vulnerable to spam.

1 Like

I don’t mind either version of Horizon, my only real complaints is that the low gravity section is minimal and the spawn doors on attacking B having few exits.

Paris on the other hand is a beautiful map, but not as much to play on due to some of the layout.

1 Like

I miss them both! Please bring them back!!!

1 Like

I like them both, especially Paris, which is a top 3 map for me. We exist.

2 Likes

Tank main here. Not exclusively a tank player, but still. When I play those maps, I know there will not be any kind of teamplay at all. Both maps can be broken with teamplay. With Lucio + Ana you can get the first point on Paris for free. Ana nades the pilar on the highground where the tanks are positioned and Lucio speeds everyone in for a brawl. Pretty sure that’s the all you need to do that gets everyone out of gold. And also wins plat games imo. Second point is still pretty bad Imo, on both Paris and Horizon. I think ball is good for those second points but I am not a good ball player.

1 Like