Alternative to voicechat

Everyone has had those games with the whole team in voice chat, but not actually talking. It’s better than nothing, but 5 extra players have 5 different points of view, and notice different things. For instance, a Reinhardt would see a tracer flanking around before the ana in the backline would, but because rein isn’t using a mic, the ana gets picked off.

What I’m proposing is a ‘ping’ system, similar to a lot of other games, such as Apex legends. Something simple, like a few seconds of wallhack or an icon over the pinged enemy. It sounds op, but bear in mind, players using their mics would be calling out the flanker anyway, this would just be a good alternative. This could also be a way to communicate which enemy the team should focus. Thoughts?

Tldr; pinging enemy targets would alleviate the issue of team mates not using mics to call out enemy positions.

3 Likes

Good idea. But this would render sombra’s current passive useless thou

I’m not 100% sure but I THINK Blizzard has plans for that with OW2?

2 Likes

A ping system would be nice to shotcall “go left/center/right”, too, if we could leave a general waypoint. (I presume that squelching someone also squelches their waypointing, in order to stop abuse.)

Yeah, they mentioned they were developing one in the recent AMA, if not the OW2 livestream. It might not pan out, of course…

Here’s a link to Wyoming’s AMA summary in case anyone wants to look it up.

I play a lot of Sombra, so I know the feeling, but that only highlights half health targets, rather than full health ones. If anything, it would make widows ult less useful. That’s why I say temporarily, like, 2 or so seconds rather than 12 (I think, don’t really play a lot of widow)

They tried it, and it didn’t work well for OW. 6 people spamming ping turns out not to be a good idea in a game like this.

Similar things have been suggested in the past and I still like it :+1:t2: Have the icon/wall hack there for as long as you maintain line of sight and fade out when you can’t see them.

Would free up a lot air time as well for actual tactics or something rather than people screaming “TRACER” :roll_eyes:

we need “talk-rate” system included as performance stat over game. No talk - less sr, trash-talk - report.

I don’t want a ping system just because people will spam it and be annoying

and not only that people often make bad judgements on a situation and might send our team the wrong way we need to go

and then we have people who will be fighting over the ping too and then people will be spamming it when they die or need healing lmao Yes dude we know you’re behind 10 walls, but we still can’t heal you even if you ping.