Alt tabbing causes OW to stop responding

While not entirely consistent, often when I alt tab from overwatch the game stops responding. If I try and pull it up it either goes full screen but is frozen, or I simply can’t enter it, and requires using the task manager to actually shut it down. It appears it might happen when OW is loading something (ie right as a game starts or a map begins, or at the end of a match when the next map would be loaded) but it also seems to happen at other times.

I have already updated drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled, done the built in scan and repair, tried replicating the issue with different possible programs to alt tab to, including just having the blizzard launcher up. Nothing has worked.

Edit: This seems to have started a while ago with an overwatch update as opposed to an update from another source. Not completely positive (as I have not played OW much over the past while, and memory can of course be faulty) but I’m pretty certain the issue started with the Ashe patch, or one very soon afterwards.

This does not appear to affect borderless windowed mode, but I’d really rather play in fullscreen if possible.

Currently running Windows 10.
Intel Core i5-7200U Processor
Nvidia GeForce 940MX graphics card

What kind of settings do your computer have?
I don’t personally experience this issue so it might be a driver, graphics, hard-drive and so on issue.

Does this only happen when loading? (If so, perhaps mentally note to not alt tab doing loading)

I alt tab all the time and do not see this issue either. I am also running a GTX-1080TI with the latest nvidia driver available. I am also setup for G-sync too but its a powerful computer (I7 8700K @ 4.8ghz)

That’d be great, except the times that I actually want to be alt tabbing are generally when things are loading, ie in between matches, and it seems that while that’s the majority of the cases, sometimes it happens when things aren’t loading or whatnot, as I mentioned in the post.

I realize that this is not going to be a common issue or there’d be posts about it on the tech support forums and likely something about a known issue if it were. That’s why I posted it here. My computer is capable of running overwatch fine without struggling so I doubt that it’s anything performance based. As I mentioned, I’ve already updated drivers, and I’ve tried older ones as well.

You can try to clean the drivers if you haven’t yet through the DDU utility then re-install the latest driver fresh. I’ve seen this help clear up a ton of issues, I’ve seen it recommended by Blues in the Wow forums too.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I would also like you to avoid installing Geforce Experience as well as it too can compound the problems.

1 Like

No luck with that, unfortunately. Thank you for trying to help.

I had this problem before the ashe update, and the only real solution was to play in windowed mode. And it really doesn’t bother me that much having that border around the game, but i know people would.
Right now for me if i try to launch the game in windowed or borderless it will be a black screen, every time i alt tab thats a black screen as well.