Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

As a population, yeah people will demonstrate a wide range of skill, even within a rank. Overall, an individual’s skill won’t vary that much from day to day unless something traumatic happens or they play while tilted. Otherwise, the only changes are gradual.

People are consistent to a fault. I mean, Cuthbert hasn’t changed his behavior. The White Knights are still as supportive of the system as ever. The thing is, with the population having such a varied level of skill. How on Earth did I get lucky enough to have ~77% of my games with competent or better random people?

I find it all interesting. If you read more into the scenario than that, then you’re on your own. I’m just happy to have most of those winning games be actually close and challenging. I wish all games, win or lose, could be that fun.

1 Like

Perhaps someone said that, but not the developers. The developers have said:

We felt like 3000 Skill Rating was a good breakpoint for the decay rules, as it was around 10% of the competitive population (see above). If you do decay, it only affects your current displayed skill rating. This decay does not affect the internal matchmaking rating we use, so we can still place you in fair matches. When you do come back and actively play matches, you’ll also typically gain more SR from a win until your displayed skill rating and internal matchmaking rating have again reached “equilibrium”. – Scott Mercer Overwatch Forums

This effect is still visible when Seagull (for example) decays on stream: Streamer Data - Google Sheets → Seagull 10.

That is what SR is meant to be, that is true.

The fact that MMR and SR have 2 algorithms, that may share variables, to their gains and losses means that there is a likelihood that they are not equal 100% of the time. That algorithm at the very least differs in that MMR can be a zero sum, and SR cannot. When you have 2 equations that have share variables, but one has a minimum and the other does not, the gains and losses in the two equations can deviate. Even if that Minimum is 2, there is deviation. In conclusion, at given points in Competitive, your SR can be lower or higher than your MMR.

How much? No one knows (Outside of Blizzard).

SR will always move where in MMR has a chance to not. The Jeff Kaplan quote is fairly on point on this. “MMR works very similarly to SR…it’s possible to win a match and not gain any MMR. We make it so that if you win a match, you always gain SR…”

I will concede, as I have before, that SR and MMR do not differ more than +/- around ~500 as at that point your MMR would outclass the SR to be within the predetermined High and Low SR of a match team. Where-in no matter how hard it will try to make an even match your presence will sway your win% in your favor.

This is something that I can glean from the research Kaawumba has done where people generally fall within a few hundred of their SR over a few accounts after a given amount of time to stabilize each account.

As I conceded, it may not have been as noticeable or needed as much in the bulk of the population. This, however, does not mean that it is not in the Match Maker.

It is my understanding that currently a SR gain this low is commonly due to a bug. The more common change is around 15 - 30 Minimum gain/loss. But, in fairness, I have no idea what the lower threshold or higher threshold of SR really is. No one outside of Blizzard/the Matchmaker really knows.

I’m sure Cuthbert is as ignorant as a person can get, why do you keep bumping up his post. All he does is post the same stuff everyday on this posts, and hasn’t played the game in over a year as it seems. He’s obviously trolling the forums, but hasn’t gotten banned yet.

If a person hasn’t played for over a year and posts the same stuff over and over, that’s pretty much trolling and spamming.

1 Like

I don’t post much here anymore, mainly because if I say what I’m thinking I risk getting suspended. However, I made an exception as Cuthbert misquoted me. I doubt I’ll be here long.

3 Likes

you know he may be onto something,
quoted from a thread over on the wow side today.
As shown Below

Devil is in the details. I implore you all to read this patent in its entirety.

Update to original post as these are published as of 2017; original post below edit

These are fully published as of 2017.

This is no longer ‘if’ they will do it. This IS their business model moving forward - not matchmaking by skill, gear, or typically accessed playable content. 100% pushed to ‘group’ with players that have purchases your profile might fit.

Acitivision, and Blizzard by association, 100% wants to milk the current customer base rather than create an excellent gaming experience to drawn in new customers.

SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR DRIVING MICROTRANSACTIONS IN MULTIPLAYER VIDEO GAMES
Publication number: 20180065047
Abstract: A system and method is provided that drives microtransactions in multiplayer video games. The system may include a microtransaction arrange matches to influence game-related purchases. For instance, the system may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player.
Type: Application
Filed: September 13, 2017
Publication date: March 8, 2018
Inventors: Michael D. Marr, Keith S. Kaplan, Nathan T. Lewi

System and method for driving microtransactions in multiplayer video games
Patent number: 9789406
Abstract: A system and method is provided that drives microtransactions in multiplayer video games. The system may include a microtransaction arrange matches to influence game-related purchases. For instance, the system may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player.
Type: Grant
Filed: May 14, 2015
Date of Patent: October 17, 2017
Assignee: Activision Publishing, Inc.
Inventors: Michael D. Marr, Keith S. Kaplan, Nathan T. Lewis

SYSTEM AND METHOD OF IDENTIFYING PORTIONS OF VIDEO GAME STREAMS FOR DRIVING MICROTRANSACTIONS
Publication number: 20170113143
Abstract: A system and method is provided that generates a game log that specifies game events during gameplay to enable efficient distribution of video game playback, facilitates the annotation of gameplay through content from users and others, and generates a video game stream that includes the game log and content. The system facilitates the efficient sharing of video game playback, as well as annotations from users and others. For example, e-sportscasters may use the system to broadcast video game playback with their commentary and/or graphical overlays. Video game players may use the system to share video game playback efficiently with other users. The system may also facilitate the sharing of loadout conditions and micro-transactions relevant to video game playback.
Type: Application
Filed: October 21, 2015
Publication date: April 27, 2017
Applicant: ACTIVISION PUBLISHING, INC.
Inventors: Michael D. MARR, Keith S. KAPLAN

----------original post below----------

Activision DOES NOT CARE about your gaming experience beyond what will drive you to make in-game purchases; your peers are merely advertisements. When it does not work, the back end algorithms will log your non-purchase and attempt to push a new purchase option upon you.

In one implementation, the microtransaction engine may target particular players to make game-related purchases based on their interests. For example, the microtransaction engine may identify a junior player to match with a marquee player based on a player profile of the junior player. In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game (e.g., as determined from the player profile). The microtransaction engine may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the marquee player.

In one implementation, when a player makes a game-related purchase, the microtransaction engine may encourage future purchases by matching the player (e.g., using matchmaking described herein) in a gameplay session that will utilize the game-related purchase. Doing so may enhance a level of enjoyment by the player for the game-related purchase, which may encourage future purchases. For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results.

There is QUITE a bite more if you have time to review.

This coupled with nearly 8 years of Activision slowly bleeding into Blizzard’s day-to-day decisions coupled with Blizzcon should be enough for anyone to see that we are not longer dealing with the development company that not only entertained us but inspired us to dream.

This coupled with nearly 8 years of Activision and Blizzon is why they will be lumped with the other “AAA” publishers/developers and have forced me to uninstall / cancel subs.

This is why I am sad. :frowning:

the patents even go more into detail, but TL&DR there is a patent for 50/50 win brought to you by activision

2 Likes

That’s very interesting. I knew Activision’s tentacles stretched far and wide, but I didn’t know they had gotten to Blizzard.

Want me to give you a vod review so you can quit the delusional conspiracy game?

1 Like

Do you “conspiracy theorist” witch hunters not believe that such a thing as a conspiracy exists? You should know that you live your lives under the pall of myriad conspiracies, grand and small, both past and present.

I think we lost him…

Of course they do but the vast majority are nonsense. So you want that vod review? Free of charge. Absolutely guarantee I can help

If I really was a crazy person, it would be cruel for you to mock me like that.

I didn’t claim that every conspiracy theory ever was true. But if you study history and current events, you will see them everywhere. Conspiracy doesn’t have to be stuff like “chem trails.” It is more commonly mundane things like collusion to raise the price of goods and services.

Is this thread even a conspiracy theory? Only if Blizzard knows what they’re doing. Maybe they don’t. Maybe they are just that stupid.

Awwww don’t hurt muh feels!!!
Btw I already have my silver account if you wanna train or play some games!!!
I’m mostly playing widow and battle mercy, but Ill pick whatever u want me to :slight_smile:

So is that a no to the vod review or?..

No I’m serious, mocking mental illness is a childish impulse. Are you an adult?

No, I’m serious, I never mocked any mental illness. I even have some myself!!!
Are you mentally ill?

Why do you always ignore offers for help lol. You can’t seriously complain about the system if you don’t even try to improve

He is simply ignoring you as he has answered this multiple times before.

To determine this we go to the share price since BlizCon. Where they announced nothing for Overwatch (character release was expected as a scheduled release even without the event, short doesn’t affect gameplay) and insulted Diablo players directly to their face (literally, watch the vid).

Anyway, look up “Blizzard share value” and then change range to 1Y - try to guess when the event happened.

What are you even on about lmao

He hasn’t answered me when I’ve offered help at all bud

Lmao bud, answering the question before =/= answering you. Hint - check the thread(s) for when he last played.