Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

You mean the psychologists they paid to help keep players in the game and spending money? You think Activision cares more about fair matches for all, or exploiting players to squeeze every penny they can out of them? I guess that explains the ridiculously high number of alt accounts.

1 Like

Not sure why you think those are mutually exclusive.

2 Likes

I didn’t say they were mutually exclusive. Obviously the company would prefer both. I asked which you think is more important to them. Hypothetically. If they had to choose…

1 Like

Unfortunately I’ve rammed heads with them in the past enough to know what the deal is.

1 Like

Well if they aren’t mutually exclusive, they don’t have to choose.

This is precisely the kind of thinking OP has shown. Creating a fair game doesn’t have to be some moral obligation. It can be a key to addiction and in the commercial interests of a company.

I have a friend who is a PhD in behavioral psychology and started a gaming company. He refers to the balanced feeling of challenge and fairness as the ‘flow channel’. That’s apparently where you need gamers to drive engagement. That’s my simplified understanding of it anyway.

OP hasn’t stated their credentials but nothing has convinced me of the need for ABK to do anything different than creating fair matches.

2 Likes

OP needs to realise that if theyre at 50% winrate, theyre at the sr which they are comfortable in.

To get higher, you need to learn how to play better

3 Likes

When you were accused of gish-galloping, it was “Congrats for knowing what that is, yes, hmm, but I uh, I think I presented plenty of evidence”.

Now it’s “I realize that’s not evidence.”

I want to say make up your mind but I think you’re just an intellectually dishonest person who changes what they’re saying from conversation to conversation to make whatever argument you think wins you the most imaginary internet points in that moment.

4 Likes

‘thinking’ the above, without showing rational discourse or using valid arguments instead of ad homs is most assuredly ‘intellectually dishonest’.

microsab practically invented rigging in online games.

we know actiblizz has intended to rig their games with several patents/tech. we know it’s in cod and the devs have gone on record for a portion of what is in OW.

if it’s in OW2, they get a non-compliance lawsuit forcing disclosure and auditability and possible damages owed in lieu of. Rigging a competitive environment makes esports branding a total misrep. Neglecting ladder integrity with alts and no reset seasons while pushing ‘balance experiments’ tells us they are discriminating their resources towards content creators.

it’s some of the worst managed ip in all of AAA gaming and the people associated with it need to no longer be associated with it. new devs new algs new content creators bcuz this aint it

3 Likes

where’s the proof? ‎‎‎

3 Likes

nice 5 posts. we welcome new members and welcome to the forums!

There is a deluge of proof/evidence, provided in many of the existing threads. We’ve been posting it for many years, so yw to use the search function. GL HF!

edit: nvm ur accnt will be renamed soon
i think it’s hilarious sum1 upvoted u.
fanboism is a disease

3 Likes

There is evidence documented in the original post.

Ignorance and hatred go hand in hand. I’ve stopped expecting these people to read.

2 Likes

why would a for-profit business share their OWN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY? thatd be like coca-cola sharing their TRADE SECRET recipe.

take a course in business children and learn how things actually work.

3 Likes

In the pudding.

1 Like

no, its called business for idiots.

2 Likes

You know coca-cola used to put white, powdery drugs in their product to make it more addictive? I would say that’s a terrible analogy for your argument, but you are spot on. Maybe take a course in ethics some day.

2 Likes

What’s business children? Sounds like an odd class.

1 Like

you know doctors used to issue that same product to patients. doctors used to also issue prescriptions for alcohol…you chose a slippery slope to slide down on fren

2 Likes

Do they still? Why not? Probably a lawsuit, otherwise they still would, because it makes them money. Another perfect analogy for Overwatch matchmaker: It’s only legal until someone calls them out on their ethics.

3 Likes

words are important, hence the use of the words “used to”. thanks for trying tho fren. i do enjoy rudimentary arguments!

2 Likes

Takes Juan to know Juan.

1 Like