Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

True. And a friendly reminder to any community members not to accept the updated EULA/ToS if you’re involved in the class-action against rigging. Just don’t sign into bnet with your main account (use an alt or a family member’s account). That should be enough to keep the developing class action suit on the table.

They updated bnet ToS today (June 1st, 2021) with waiver against class action. Which is clearly in response to the ongoing algorithmic rigging and players realizing they’re effectively at a gambling house. And I guess their legal had a review and realized “oopsie” they’re liable to pay damages if this goes through.

Not to mention all the new monitor and data ownership stuff they’re asking for. At this point keep your main offline and never agree to their terms until the class action is processed.

Correct. Many authorities/jurisdictions would fully disaprove, suspend operations, and seek damages/corrections. As of today, they realize they are culpable here so watch out for the new EULA/ToS agreements!

2 Likes

When you get better, don’t you want to play against people who are an even match for you?

If you demonstrate an increase in skill, who should you be matched against? The same people you just beat? Do you want to keep beating people? How is that fair for your opponents? Don’t they want to play someone that is the same skill as them? Why should they keep getting put in a game with you if you’ve demonstrated that you have more skill than them?

What exactly are you even advocating for?

Good players that give me a tough time, and make for a great game. :smiley:

Such games do exist, fyi.
Matchmaker makes it nigh impossible.

3 Likes

I don’t think playing against better players is the real issue. It’s how you seem to get worse players on your team at the same time. You continually get players of your level on win streaks… get enough wins… it seems like you’re the highest player on a team a rank or two lower while playing against the better teams? I will notice good games more often than big stomps, either way win or lose. The MMR and SR mix isn’t what that does IMO. Pick one. The more complicated anybody makes a ladder, the less likely it’s going to work… this goes for ALL competitive things.

2 Likes

It’s a ladder, but you can only see half of it when you climb. C:

2 Likes

I have adapted this thread into the second episode of my YouTube series, called Lars’ Lentils! The video is a deep dive on Match Making Rating as a Bayesian skill scoring framework. The episode features gameplay from two competitive matches, with me playing as Rheinhardt. I have done everything I can to make the video watchable, rendered in high definition with a soundtrack by Scattle and The Toxic Avenger.

You can find the video at the top of this thread now, or on YouTube with this title:
Lars’ Lentils – Episode 2: Algorithmic Handicapping is Wrong for Online Games

For making this project not only possible, but imperative, I must thank the thousands of Overwatch players who have voted and posted in my threads on Blizzard user forums, proponents and opponents both. Without your participation and clear majority favor (over 85% supporting votes across 5 polls), I would have abandoned my argument long ago.

Please share the video with your networks, especially influencers of gaming culture. Help me get the mainstream attention that this story needs! We must prompt legislative and regulatory action to reverse modern trends of corporate usury and consumer fraud. Unregulated corporate ownership of social media and big tech is sucking the life out gamers and tearing at the fabric of society.

6 Likes

Youre correct. I still think competing against multiple different metrics messes with the integrity of the ladder.

I dont have more of a response but to say,. I still think there is an issue when it becomes too complicated.

2 Likes

Of course. I wholeheartedly agree.

1 Like

They have an audience of young boys or non aware players about this kind of themes. Yesyerday the mod Wyom admitted in another thread that bronze to gm is not against eula, literally. They will go on till rules of the countries allow this or when not more profitable.

1 Like

Is it possible for you to post a link? I’d watch it.

[EDIT] I mean repost, I see that it’s somewhere above but the thread is so big I’m hesitant to start scrolling backward.

1 Like

It is right at the top of the original post, sorry I can’t repost it or I might be flagged for “spamming”

1 Like

Worth mentioning for context.

The first post that disagrees with you has 26 likes vs the OP 18 meaning in this case you only being supported 40%.

The 85% you cite is out context data on closed polls with loaded questions which could be considered basic data manipulation. At the very least drawing a conclusion that people are in favor in relation to that video is out of context and a flawed conclusion.

3 Likes

Wow, that is a surgical level of cherry picking. Never mind the fact that my other polls have hundreds of participants and this one had less than 50 in total. The original post doesn’t even contain my argument or my video. The 10% margin of majority opposition in this one instance is paltry, compared to the 35% margin of majority support shown in my other five polls. You seem to have no sense of proportion.

Also, I generated my poll results long before producing my video. So your argument about context is total crap. And I don’t know what you mean by “loaded questions” or “data manipulation.” The subject of the polls was that “handicapping is wrong for competitive play,” and the poll options were simply ‘yay’ or ‘nay.’

4 Likes

How is this thread even still open after threatening to start a legal issue?
And yes the questions we’re loaded, you are clearly an intelligent person, you asked specific questions and got the answers you wanted based on those question, the game isn’t handicapped, you just don’t want to accept you aren’t the best at this game, people climb and fall all the time based on their skill level.

The system currently being used is trying to provide fair matches (smurfs/cheaters/throwers/etc) are not accounted for, causing a massive imbalance of players in the ranks.

And to talk about cherry picking, lets talk about those quotes you used? All taken out of context, and without the full explanation of what was said.

I will also mention, the “polls” you speak of, with what? 300 ish players commenting, out of literally hundreds of thousands of people who did not participate in them, they do not speak in volume on the matter.

2 Likes

The MM here is the same BS like SBMM in other Activision games like CoD.
They even use SBMM in CASUAL playlists.
Imagine a „hidden rank“ in casual modes like quickplay :joy:

Could you please explain me what „fair“ means? :smiley:

1 Like

wait…what?..

2 Likes

I guess you missed it, but yes, the tinfoil hat crew said something along the lines of talking to a lawyer to see what they could do about this topic, I could go back and find it, but I’ve read this thread one too many times lol.

2 Likes

i can only imagine the look on that lawyers face

3 Likes

Hey dude. First I have to say that Im 100% on your side because you are correct on this topic and about the matchmaker of Ow and many other games.
Blizzard themselves said that the MMR tries to „balance“ matches so both teams have a equal 50% chance of winning. This is clearly the definition of cherry picking, rigging and is not competitive. But you know that.

But I have a question to you. I dont know in which elo you play/played OW but IF you are a low elo player you should know that if they get rid of this system it would be harder for you guys to win. The MM is designed FOR bad players to get pushed to a 50% winrate and designed AGAINST good players to drag them down to 50% winrate.
If course its not competitive and fair for ALL players (the bad and the good) but its rare that low elo players that KNOW that the MM is rigged want to get rid of it because it INCREASES the chances for low mmr players to win matches.
Like if you are a silver or gold player for example with a 51% winrate it could be that without this system you will fall down to a 40% or even lower winrate and see yourself in bronze.
But if you are a high master or high diamond player with a higher mmr (too good for your elo) with around 50% winrate it will increase your winrate and you will rise the ranks more quickly.
So if you are a low elo player why do you want to get rid of it? Is it really just because its a lie in competitive play? If thats the case you have my highest respects.

2 Likes

People of equal skill, that would be fair.

He’s in Silver.

He’s blaming the system for his rank.

While I do agree the matchmaker is horribly flawed, it’s not the reason people get stuck in a rank, people get stuck due to their inability to adapt and improve, I myself am a low elo player, I do not blame the system for my rank, I’m bad at this game, even after thousands of hours played.

1 Like