Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

You went from giving an extreme example that almost certainly didn’t happen, and claiming you’re a GM struggling in Diamond, to saying you earn a relatively normal amount of SR. Nobody should believe what you’ve said.

3 Likes

You need to consider the context though. The reason the devs talk about 50/50 in topics that talk about groups is because it’s VERY clear that it strictly has to do with groups. Somehow, people are taking those quotes that were in the context of groups to mean that the matchmaker is intentionally giving players bad teammates in order to compensate for the “actually above the skill level than SR suggests”, and I’m very sure that was never the intent of the dev replies, because that’s not a thing, no matter how much people want to think of it like that.

Read that post in particular, and then read the opening post of that topic. Then tell me why you think people are coming to the conclusion that Scott Mercer means that the matchmaker is intentionally pairing “good” players with “bad” players to make a 50/50 match.

Meh,

2 Likes

hahahahahahahahahahahaha. What now?

No, it is clear that it is used, and with groups there are additional factors. It is not “just for groups”.

"The VAST majority of matches are usually near to 50% (especially if you’re a player closer to median skill rating and you’re not in a group), " (From your post)

This points out that the Match Maker works outside of the group v group.

Tell me, how would an algorithm make fair and as close to 50% win chance matches without evening out MMRs or adjusting teams to be similar (With group(s) adjustment if there is a group) on both sides? As MMR is our internal skill rating?

It is not a hard leap of logic.
Knowns:

• The system does not just grab 11 other people at random
  • The system tries its best to put you into a 50/50 match (Or as close to it as possible)
  • The system will not start a match with a hugely ~40/60 disparate sides

We also know that MMR and SR is linked but we know

• MMR does not have to move for wins and losses
  • SR will always move, even just a little for wins and losses

Conclusions

• The system knows whos MMR is above or below their visible SR
  • The system uses this to make even matches 50/50
  • Due to 50/50 matches win streaks and loss streaks happen naturally as in coin flips
  • Doing 50/50 matches can rubber-band SR around MMR

What we can also say:

• If you out perform your MMR you will climb as you are now doing better than predicted.
  • If you under perform, you will drop
1 Like

I feel like you meant to type more, but forgot to, and never bothered editing your post… Because that image addressed nothing I said.

Did you reply to me by accident, or…?

1 Like

The sticking point here is the nuance of the difference between MMR and SR. We know Jeff states that it’s possible to not “gain” any MMR when winning a match but you always get SR. Do you think it’s something that happens in, say, the mid ranks? I’ve seen GM streams back in seasons 2-3 when the matchmaker was looser and put very high GMs in mid-to-high-Masters games and give the GM Diamond teammates, and when they won those matches, they got a nice little 2 SR gain for that win. That was my impression of SR gains without MMR gains.

Also, we know that Jeff stated that SR and MMR are closely linked with the exception of very-high level players that had their accounts decayed. It’s pretty clear that the only real significant divergence from SR and MMR happens on inactivity decay.

So going with that, it stands to reason that the midranks have their MMRs and SRs appropriately together. And even the lower ranks too.

That happen one time.

19-23 is not a relatively normal amount of SR, 25 is the middle, also after passing master I got 40 SR per win now, really strange MMR . . .

2 Likes

No im genuinely laughing at you…

Because there is no compensation for it. You are above diamond, you should know there is no performance based SR gains.

2 Likes

You struggled in a Diamond match one time?

19-23 is relatively normal for an average player.

Neither of your replies to me have made any sense. Feel free to elaborate at any time.

1 Like

Stop flaming him, this dude is a time bomb.

All it would take is a lucky streak up/down to differ by 100+ as long as the player is performing on par.

Am I indicating that the MMR and SR wildly differ for everyone? No. But, there is enough to say at 2570, you can either be above (2610) or below (2525) in MMR. And it takes that info to make matches.

match maker can run numbers all it wants. nothing can account for human unpredictability.

1 Like

Everyone keeps saying MMR is the same thing as SR.

It’s not.

2 people can be rank 1576 and be at completely different skill levels and MMRs. That’s messed up. Just let the better people gain SR, and the worse people lose SR and match up games based solely on the players SR. That’s all we want.

3 Likes

i love that this topic is still going, and yet blizzard still has no official response to it lol its time to step up team 4. either that or step out

1 Like

Who said it? The devs said that SR closely follows MMR.

What should they tell you? This topic is so weird it doesn’t need a blue/orange reply - a big lie which doesn’t need a dev explanation, because people like Kaawumba already explained it. Unfortunately, many people fall for this because of their inability to climb or whatever.

1 Like

All I know is that it makes matches stink. Someone at 2k sr might be 500 SR skill or 3k Sr skill. It’s utterly unpredictable.

I’ve played some games with smurfs and we either got wood tier team mates or enemy team got a smurf as well.

Great for fair matchmaking. Bad for getting people where they belong.

Yeah, that is what MMR does more or less.

Hidden MMR is MADE for the sole purpose of creating an even match, right?

How do they do it?

Take the higest guy, give him the lowest teammate.

I mean, duh.

So guess what, you get screwed in your next matches for putting up big games.

If you don’t see this in OW NON STOP FOR 14 SEASONS, 3 YEARS… then you’re not triggering the matchmaker to counter you. A lot of us can see it plain as day though. So, pretend it doesn’t exist, and maybe it doesn’t for you.

But it’s not some made up BS that AAAAALLLL these players are seeing it.

3 Likes