Algorithmic Handicapping is Wrong for Online Games

Videogame players.

“Not too easy, not too difficult” is the goal.

As any good gameplay designer would tell you.

3 Likes

Okay, let’s see…

So, your argument is that polls on this subject don’t matter because players are biased to favor it. And you think that most people lack the self-awareness to realize that matchmaking isn’t a problem? My argument is about handicapping. Do you think that ranked, competitive matches should be algorithmically handicapped?

Gameplay designers work for publishers, who have different interests from players.

1 Like

Where are these polls?

5 Likes

Seriously, I have seen this happen several times now in the forum. Really ugly mob dynamic.

The old “Battlenet” forum of Overwatch (now decommissioned) included a poll feature that posters could include in their threads. I ran three such formal polls on the Battlenet forum, two informal threads on this new forum, consistently getting more than 85% support from forum users.

Thanks for asking!

With my post count, do you really think I got time for alts?

3 Likes

Well, partially because people will just “game the system”, like back when a ton of Mercy rezzes gave you a ton of SR (during Mass Rez), leading to Mercy players deliberately letting people die so they can pump up their numbers.

3 Likes

wow you really put time and effort in this topic and post for that i give an A+. now comes the challenging part reading all of it. on the basic premise tho i do agree that the wierd matchmaking/handicapping that even blizzard admitting to the patent is kind of frustrating sometimes. i do remember people saying that it helps NEWCOMERS and NEW people picking up the game so i do like that part. wish they did that for every online competitive game

1 Like

That said, Overwatch 2 Tank MMR is going to be a lot better.

And that’s the main thing that’s been pushing the game away from those ideal 50/50 matches.

1 tank vs 1 tank is a ton easier to match than 2vs2 tanks. And a strict win/loss with 1 Tank player, is more representative of their impact towards a win.

Also roughly 2x as many tank players, and more clutch potential for Tanks.

3 Likes

I can see why people would want transparency - I do think this is the future.

As per GDPR, you need to explicitly state what you are going to do with the data you have on the users.

However, I think it is quite ridiculous how:

1. OP is presenting their assumptions on how the matchmakers works as near fact when they literally have no idea
  2. How this is being presented as abuse

Attention is the lifeblood on these companies so I am sure that engagement is one of the metrics they will optimize for.

In game development, the ‘flow channel’ is the golden area between too easy and too difficult that maintains engagement.

I’m sure the primary purpose of the matchmaker is to aim for this.

One assumption is that both SR (precise SR, not having SR within an acceptable boundary) and MMR is used for matchmaking.

If it’s just MMR, then this entire post is invalid and the OP has zero idea if this is the case or not.

4 Likes

Or, perhaps, it’s a mile long wall of text about something many don’t even care this deeply about

Does anyone even read the terms of service? I know I don’t

6 Likes

Not sure why you have to make it about this. Seems pretentious. People just aren’t interested in reading a 50,000 character dissertation about a very minor issue in their limited and valuable downtime.

10 Likes

Congratulations, OP, you finally figured out, that creator of one of most addictive games known to mankind(WoW gave us memes “to have no life” and “elf lv 80” as synonyms of someone addicted to high degree) used their knowledge in Overwatch.

4 Likes

Issue is that it happens at expense of experienced players. Creating “bait and switch” situation, when you are no longer given good teammates, that can carry you - now YOU are teammate, that has to carry someone.

3 Likes

Imagine writing an entire dissertation as to why you are a hard stuck gold player.

9 Likes

The “it”, of course being, they favor support that reinforces putting less effort into achieving the same result as those who put in more effort.

So yes, in general, it is fair to assume the general response to those polls is skewed.

The game isn’t algorithmically handicapped, the game and supporting software is designed to give both teams a more balanced opportunity of winning the match.

You good bro?? :heart:

A great question, in fact :slight_smile:

Very convenient…

Can you give me an example of a mainstream competitive video game that doesn’t use an SR AND MMR based system?

I can give you examples of games I’ve played that do use it.

• Overwatch
  • CSGO
  • Valorant
  • League of Legends

These are the only competitive video games I’ve played. I’m interested in seeing some games that use a different approach and yet nobody has been able to give me an example so I’m still waiting.

:clap: :clap:

In the amount of time it would take for someone to read this, they could get a VOD review done and be well on their way towards improving at the game and understanding how to be a real competitor.

WyomingMyst provides a much better summation of winning and losing in Overwatch. And the link they shared in the same thread is much more in-line with how software is more likely to be written.

People dismiss his post because he negates human error in game play. Which is the biggest factor in all of this.

4 Likes

Your forum account didn’t exist until 8 hours ago… it’s only actions are to “like” this thread and reply here.
it’s a reasonable deduction.

while you could be an uber lurker who suddenly found a cause you wanted to add your voice to… it’s pretty unlikely.

… no but srs… this is the overwatch general forums. That’s what happens here.

8 Likes

I’ll add some extra fields and it would be ok.

For the cost function - The pity timer, a weighting for games depending on how long they have been queueing for - and yes, that is what the ticket system uses.

And Role SR width - not only do you want people to be close in SR to each other, you want more the players within a role being close to each other. You can have DPS and Tank have different SRs, but you want ALL of the tank players close to each others SR, and the DPS to be close to each others SR. This is because roles have different levels of impact at different ranks, and playing mix and match isn’t a good plan.

Contraints - You still need constraints around SR range, you will still need constraints around blocks.

Here is the thing, I kind of expect the current system to be VERY close to this already.

The REAL hidden thing is how they calc how much SR you get on a win / loss

The lack of transparency is annoying though.

I have abused the system. Got 2 ENTIRE ranks outside of where I should have been doing so. Knowing how match makers work helps if you want to abuse them.

But honestly, there isn’t a good way around stopping that kind of abuse, so, yeah, I think transparency is a good thing.

HOWEVER, people will complain regardless of what it looks like.

Yes it is!

4 Likes

Prove it.

Also, this post is hilarious.

8 Likes