Algorithmic Handicapping is Wrong for Online Games

If you really didn’t mean to misconstrue the events of my match and you really weren’t trying to cover your tracks, then I’ll apologize for calling you a pathological liar.

1 Like

I genuinely wasn’t and thanks for apologising, I also apologise for overreacting.

1 Like

Cool. Anyway, whether I’m a good Rheinhardt player is not the discussion. Do you think it’s right for ranked, competitive play to be algorithmically handicapped?

Yes I do in lower ranks as I stated before due to the high amount of skill differences in ranks such as gold and platinum

otherwise there would be a tons of 1 sided games cause of the skill differences

in higher ranks diamond+ I don’t see an issue with it being removed

I genuinely feel if it was removed for lower ranks we’d see competitive games acting more like quickplay games and that would be horrifying.

2 Likes

This whole section bothers the hell out of me and comes across as very elitist. It completely complains about better players being handicapped with lower tier players without even considering the fact that the other team has the same restrictions. Its a fair and balanced match because everyone has the same restrictions. That best player has an opposing best player to outcompete against on the other team and like 4-5 other worse players to abuse. The worst player is having to compete with their worst player on the other team. By everyone pulling their weight equally to rival their competitor on the opposite team you come to victory.

How many times have many of us experienced that one ‘good’ player who decides to screw everyone else over by saying, I’m not playing, Rein, I’m picking Roadhog and doing my own thing. It goes from playing as a team to playing by myself screwing everyone else over and requiring everyone else to pick up that person’s slack.

I bet the notion that the other 5 players playing as a team are really carrying the selfish ‘best’ player to victory. In my opinion, its unfair I have to put up with such a selfish person screwing things up when I see them doing the same stupid things as everyone else.

3 Likes

Yea applied being something can be applied randomly.

TF Server-based human handicapping. You can do this in custom matchmaking and use discords just to put it in terms of a solution to your problem because it’s there all you need to do is get more support and encourage more to use it.

As far as human handicapping vs algorithmic handicapping when given the options players choose the second because while algorithms have problems they still will produce less error than humans.

The difference in TF2 and OW. There is none they have skill-based matchmaking now and server-based matchmaking. A player can choose to play the game either way.

I have already explained even random matches will handicap players. If you are randomly matched against a better team of the same SR it’s a handicap by the definition and is algorithmic.

Just like matching people based on ping and I doubt you have a problem with that.

Comp matchmaking is based on SR first then balanced with MMR.

The purpose of MMR is to give a better quality match and mitigate the impact of smurfs, boosters, and throwers.

If you play an infinite (or say 10000 matches) set of matches the only difference between MMR being there or not is the quality of matches. You will still win the same % and be at the same SR (if you ignore the better experience giving more chances to improve your skills)

I guess your issue with MMR is it holds you back or rigs your matches. The evidence that exists for it shows it does not do that and it’s not its intent.

This is why my argument, is you need to prove it’s doing something outside its intent or what it’s designed for and to prove that it’s detrimentally affecting the game more than random games would.

Or provide a system that is better. You did say a kid could do. Then do it and prove me wrong.

But to my point, your use of algorithmic handicapping is wrong and is another example of you using something that sounds good instead of building a solid argument. Like the patents, I explained in detail why it doesn’t prove anything and the existence of them doesn’t prove anything either way but you took them out of context and called them proof because like I said you care more about how your argument sounds than being fair and honest.

A bad player can be right and to use gameplay that he is using for filler to won’t prove anything as that would be taking something out of context. Unless he claimed he was a better player than he was which would discredit the value of his opinion…

There ya go.

3 Likes

That may be so, but it was not the case when I was playing Team Fortress 2. Having played Overwatch more recently, it appears that most players are not forming matches the way you describe but simply jumping in queue. Am I wrong? I think we should focus on the historical mode of matchmaking that is still used by the largest segment of players.

Point is you can play the game in a MMR free and algorithmic hanicapping free way. You could even build tournaments if you want it to be competitive but that is an algorithm and would be algorithmic hanicapping.

If you don’t want or don’t do this you don’t really have an issue with algorithmic hanicapping simple as. You just want to force people to play the game the way you want and that isn’t democratic which is a core value of yours. it’s just entitlement.

If your solution is comp without mmr. First you’ve be wrong for years about algorithmic hanicapping. Then on that issue the only substance you’ve brought to that is pure speculation. You haven’t shown in any real way how it would be any better unless it wasn’t doing what it was made for. Basically you need to prove that simple as.

The reason I got to this point.

If you have an issue with algorithmic hanicapping you have a solution case closed.

If your issue is MMR then keep at it but even at this point you’ve made 0 progress (well negative progress as you’ve been wrong for so long) or gathered any evidence. Then to add to this you have been misleading and manipulating people for years and even if not intentional you are responsible for your own actions.

4 Likes

I would think more fair matches would be more fun, but the company seems more interested in making money in whatever shady ways they can. They have probably hired psychologists to help market and retain sales and participation.

Having said that, if it’s not a tournament for a cash prize, who cares? Most players are not that good, and the ones that are get drafted to play in tournaments for cash prizes. The matchmaker would probably be more accurate if teams had to play with the same players in every match, but we all know how likely that is outside of tournaments with a cash prize.

2 Likes

Sure but this is speculation. My issue isn’t the opinion it’s the op’s use of logic and evidence that is flawed, one-sided, and taken out of context.

My opinion is it’s players that ruin the fairness of games just by their nature of not always being at their best and others that exploit matchmaking. I think the systems in place do reduce the impact of that and are overall positive. I do think Blizzard could do more but I’d consider the removal of MMR or ow being open source a step back.

Sure, that’s why people (and me) prefer skill-based matchmaking. I don’t think server-based matchmaking is good or tournaments in-game that have millions of players but it is possible to do and a solution for anyone that claims algorithmic handicapping is an issue.

1 Like

So really what youre actually saying is that you’re bad at the game and you blame the game for your own inability to climb and win, when in reality, it’s your own fault for being bad

2 Likes

What do you feel is taken out of context, and what context is missing?

I have explained it before. The patents, Dev posts, algorithmic handicapping, use of polls, the farming of likes and using that to justify your point, MMR and lack of addressing the problems it’s used to fix.

2 Likes

Let’s talk about that. What problems do you think MMR is fixing?

Stop keeping this crap thread alive.

3 Likes

Already have. It’s even on this page of posts. Also months before.

I’m not gonna keep repeating myself.

I will point out, I provided a conclusion as to why you are wrong in the way you use the term algorithmic handicapping and it isn’t your issue. Then if MMR is your issue, how your confusion has only done damage to the issue cause you deflected the issue onto something that is a basic of all matchmaking. I’d rather you’d address that post and try to explain why it’s wrong. If not, there’s no point continuing.

3 Likes

Please excerpt the post for me, I can’t find it.

MMR is not basic to all matchmaking. There are all kinds of matchmaking systems, MMR is Activision/Blizzard’s invention.

1 Like

There you go.

Also, didn’t say MMR is a basic of skill-based matchmaking. You misunderstood that and took it out of context like you did dev posts and patents.

2 Likes

Yes, but you have said that skill-based matchmaking is universal, which is not true.

Didn’t say that. Problem about making a point without evidence is it’s just pointless text.

Since you don’t want to address the post, I’ll take my leave. I do think I have made a point where you’d have conceded algorithmic handicapping isn’t your issue and that is too much for your ego to deal with because it would mean your impact has really been anything but negative. That said, I’m sure people enjoyed venting there bad games with you and I enjoyed pulling the argument apart.

I’ll end with this. A good argument is one that changes to the truths to makes it’s point rather than bury it’s head in false presumptions to make no point.

1 Like