Airpods bluetooth

I paired my Apple airpods to my PC, the sound came through fine when navigating the menu systems, but as soon as I was in actual play the sound would abruptly stop and there would be no sound FX or music.
This gets even stranger, when I go to the ‘Practice range’ everything is fine, all the sounds are there when using the Airpods. Is this some type of licensing issue?

Edit Update: It’s bizarre, as soon as a match finishes the menu sounds come straight back. There must be some logic blocking Airpods in game sounds

3 Likes

Same, AirPods have been doing some strange things for me. Sometimes it all goes through the headphones, sometimes it takes just game sounds and voice chat goes through PC. All times it eventually crashes and leaves me with no sound through either mid match. I have to keep Settings open to turn of Bluetooth in between deaths xD

2 Likes

It’s weird because the menu and background sounds are fine, but as soon as you start the match it goes dead silent. I’ve tried it with a different bluetooth earphones and its the the same

1 Like

I was curious and tested with my AirPods and initially had no game sound. I fixed the problem by going to Sounds -> Recording and disabling the extra “Headset” microphone and “Headset” playback devices. I left the stereo “Headphones” enabled. I bet OW was trying to use the wrong device and “Headset” mode only works when the Mic is active. Even if you could use the mic in OW, BT mics are mostly terrible because they have to switch to a low-quality cellphone mode for some reason.

But… can you actually play Overwatch with the huge audio delay you get with AirPods or any other BT audio device? I think Windows has some tricks for hiding this delay when watching a video (Mac/iOS/Apple TV also do this), but for game audio it can’t be fixed because it would need to delay the game itself.

p.s. I am truly sorry if this post makes you notice it when you didn’t before.

3 Likes

It might be related to the bluetooth audio issues we’ve discussed in tech support a few times: Voice Chat not functioning with Bluetooth Headsets - #25 by Drakuloth

1 Like

Thanks that’s very useful! I wasn’t aware of the Bluetooth delay - is it noticeable?

And it was just temporary until the new headset arrived, my old one is knackered

Worked great for a similar problem with retail wow