After updating my PC OverWatch becomes unplayable

Hey, guys I recently updated my pc to the Windows 10 May 2019 update. After I updated it, OverWatch is now unplayable because of how laggy it is this is the only game that is unplayable I can play Rocket League CSGO and others just fine all on max settings. I have tried to uninstall the game and then install it again which did not fix the issue. I have been having problems before the latest patch and was hoping that it would fix it but it didn’t. I don’t want to miss out on the Baptiste skin challenge so are there any solutions for this?

Howdy!

We first need to figure out if this is a latency issue or actual performance issue. Can you please collect and post the following data up:

1. Open Overwatch goto: Options → Video → Turn on: DISPLAY PERFORMANCE STATS. Click: ADVANCED PERFORMANCE STATS+ turn them all on.

Once in game when this issue occurs press Shift+Ctrl+N to show your Network Graph. Then take a Screenshot Copy and paste the following into your reply, and replace the text with your link:

`Link Here`
  1. Capturing the issue with a WinMTR in the same match would be helpful.

Thank you!

Thanks for the reply Zuvy. Here is the Link for the photo: ibb. co/4SkYRwz. And this is the photo for my WinMTR Test: ibb. co/cDjN46D. I did do some testing I have a laptop that is updated to the same version of Windows and tried playing OverWatch on it and it is flawless. I don’t know what the problem is as before I updated my PC I could play OverWatch on Max Setting with no problems at all. Thank you for your help. The forums wouldn’t let me post links so delete the space in the link and it should work for you.

Hey there Gushyz.

Your winMTR looks fine. Conversely, your network graph is completely mangled, which is extremely odd. Let’s snag some more information to see if we can diagnose what’s causing this. Off the top of my head, there were some recent game bar changes. Can you disable that? The most recent windows build is not listed on this article, so please let me know if the October 2018 (17763) steps don’t help you so we can get it updated.

If you’re still having trouble after this troubleshooting, please generate a text copy of your DxDiag using these instructions. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post using the “Code” button (</>). This will give me some more information which I can use to dig deeper into this case.

I’d also like to see what your PC is actually DOING when the problem happens. Grab hwmonitor and play a game until you start having this lag. Once it happens, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

Thanks for the reply Drakuloth. I was able to disable game bar following the October 2018 build however, it didn’t work.
Here is my DxDiag file:

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 6/21/2019, 22:52:18
             Machine name: DESKTOP-US08CGR
               Machine Id: {863A46CC-17D1-41AC-B223-AAF00D650E3F}
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
             System Model: HP Z820 Workstation
                     BIOS: Default System BIOS (type: BIOS)
                Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz (24 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16308MB RAM
                Page File: 10220MB used, 9031MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
 DirectX Database Version: Unknown
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0001 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
           Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
        Manufacturer: NVIDIA
           Chip type: GeForce GTX 1070
            DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Type: Full Device (POST)
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B81&SUBSYS_11A0196E&REV_A1
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 16241 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 8088 MB
       Shared Memory: 8153 MB
        Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (59Hz)
         HDR Support: Not Supported
    Display Topology: Internal
 Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
     Color Primaries: Red(0.660156,0.331055), Green(0.299805,0.631836), Blue(0.148438,0.054688), White Point(0.313477,0.329102)
   Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
        Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
       Monitor Model: HP E272q
          Monitor Id: HWP326B
         Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (59.951Hz)
         Output Type: HDMI
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
      Advanced Color: Not Supported
         Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_7a8e74171e1b8492\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_7a8e74171e1b8492\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_7a8e74171e1b8492\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_7a8e74171e1b8492\nvldumdx.dll
 Driver File Version: 25.21.0014.1935 (English)
      Driver Version: 25.21.14.1935
         DDI Version: 12
      Feature Levels: 12_1,12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
        Driver Model: WDDM 2.5
 Graphics Preemption: Pixel
  Compute Preemption: Dispatch
            Miracast: Not Supported
      Detachable GPU: No
 Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported
      Power P-states: Not Supported
      Virtualization: Paravirtualization 
          Block List: No Blocks
  Catalog Attributes: Universal:False Declarative:False 
   Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 2/28/2019 8:00:00 PM, 957824 bytes
         WHQL Logo'd: Yes
     WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
   Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-58C1-11CF-517D-AE311BC2D435}
           Vendor ID: 0x10DE
           Device ID: 0x1B81
           SubSys ID: 0x11A0196E
         Revision ID: 0x00A1
  Driver Strong Name: oem23.inf:0f066de361866ac3:Section108:25.21.14.1935:pci\ven_10de&dev_1b81
      Rank Of Driver: 00D12001

Here are the links for the hwmonitor images:
imgur.com/a/padyEAB
If you need more information from the Dxdaig log let me know. Also, I still can’t seem to get the link thing to work. Just delete the space I am sorry.

Your temps look okay, but the majority of your DxDiag is missing.

To add it to your reply here:

1. Open the text file and copy all of the text.
  2. Paste the text in your reply.
  3. Highlight the pasted text and click </> on the post editor.

Note: If your DxDiag does not fit in one message, you can post it on Pastebin.com and provide the hash code (the random numbers/letters after the .com) in your reply.

As for creating links, the ` mark goes before and after the actual link part only, and should be on the same line as the text for the link. So your Imgur link would look like this:

imgur.com/a/padyEAB
It doesn’t create a hyperlink to click, but allows you to post the full link without the forum rule pop-up. Then someone like Drakuloth can just highlight the whole link and click Search to open it or paste it in a web browser.

Question - did you double check that it is still disabled? Some players report that it was re enabled with one of the updates between now and then. We’re not exactly sure which.

It’d definitely be helpful to get the rest of the DXDiag as well. Also, I’m curious if resetting your video driver and game settings helps at all. If it doesn’t, does your performance improve at all when you lower your in game settings to the absolute minimum, or does it stay exactly as laggy?

I did double check to see if it was still disabled which it was.
DxDiag: https://pastebin.com/rpiBYmEQ

Resetting my video driver didn’t do anything because I never changed anything. However, after resetting my game settings I did get a boost in FPS to around 50 on Ultra settings. When I lowered my game settings to Low I was still getting around 50 FPS.

Edit: I updated my graphics card and optimized the game with Nvidia GeForce and the game is still laggy.

Temperatures look fine in the HWMonitor results however it doesn’t look like the CPU and GPU were being utilized at all. At the very least the utilization seems very low. Just to be sure, were those screenshots grabbed while you were playing?

Does increasing the Render Scale in-game help at all? We’ve seen a few cases where this can help increase utilization and in turn performance.

Yes, the screenshots were grabbed while I was in the game. I also increased the Render Scale to 200 and that made me drop down to 30 FPS in the menus and in Training. I then switched it to 150 and I was getting around 50 FPS

I’m not sure what’s happening, but the Xbox Overlay is still showing errors in the link for the dxdiag you posted. The Skype app is doing the same. However, something that was missing in the first pass was your devices, and I think the main issue is Razer Chroma.

Device Name: Razer BlackWidow Chroma

Thank you Nicole. Uninstalling Razer Synapse did the trick and overwatch is playable again.

Well, phew. :sweat_smile: