After reading short stories, I find Baptiste and Mercy had something in common

1| Both characters were orphaned by the Omnic Crisis.

2| They both had a strong desire to help people in needed and make the world a better place.

• Mercy joins Overwatch as the head of medical research.
  • Baptiste did dream about Overwatch and being a hero that protects people, thus he joined Caribbean Coalition as a combat medic. However, Overwatch never came to Haiti. He set his dreams aside when Overwatch was disbanded. After completing his service, he joined Talon as a combat medic.

3| Both characters eventually didn’t feel proud of their organizations they had joined.

• Mercy wanted to focus her nanobiotic technology on helping civilians, but Overwatch used it mainly to help their wounded soldiers. Heal darts were created based on her biotic technology without her approval. (Not sure if Mercy left Overwatch before or the time when it’s disbanded.)
  • Baptiste joined Talon as its missions were very well paid, he planned to use his earnings to set up a clinic in his hometown. Eventually Talon’s nature had changed, the operations that he participated, had caused civilians casualties. Baptiste abandoned Talon during an operation in Monte Cristi.

​4| Even when they’re no longer part of any organizations, they continued helping people in needed. Baptiste and Mercy met at a humanitarian aid site in Venezuela, working together for almost a week.

5| They both encounter a child that could relate because of their dark pasts.

• Mercy saved two children from the collapsed building. Back in the aid camp, she watched the children waiting for their parents. Then she was told that their parents were killed in the crossfire between Talon & Helix Security forces, which reminded of herself waiting for her parents to return until a police officer told her about her parents’ death.
  • Baptiste participated a Talon operation in Monte Cristi that inflicted civilian casualties. He saw a young girl in a torn dress where she stared at him angrily, clenching her fists. At that moment, he reminded of himself as a child, angered by what Omnics had done during the Omnic Crisis.
5 Likes

I think Sombra Baptiste and Mercy should make a club of talented smart peeps who were orphaned by the Crisis

3 Likes

I need that Mercy Baptiste reunion to happen asap

2 Likes

makes me more sad that chu forgot baptiste existed

6 Likes

Chu: “I think I forgot something.”
Blizzard: “If you forgot, then it wasn’t important.”
Chu: “Yeah, you’re right.”
Baptiste: sad combat medic noises

There is their difference, they didn’t feel proud of their choices to join these organisations, but they have different motives
Baptiste didn’t feel proud because he joined terrorist organisation for living, while Mercy didn’t feel proud that past military organisation is improving her tech for military purposes. Baptiste regrets for what he did, Mercy regrets for what Overwatch did to her tech. Baptiste regrets how indifferent he was to Talon horrible actions, Mercy regrets how naive she was to believe that world peace can be made without any harm.

Don’t try it.
~Obi Wan

1 Like

Wait isn’t bastion an orphan also?

yes, and so’s the cell phone i dropped in the grand canyon when i was eleven

Omnics are people too ;-;

yeah but i’m just saying bastion was made in a factory lol

A factory that had feelings!

1 Like

Clankers belong in the scrapheap

Bastion is Lindholms’ puppy.