Advice from Supports who've climbed to Gold?

Nah not really I’ve boosted people in gold and I just spawn camped with Ashe lol

If all 6 player coordinate they can take down a smurf.

3 Likes

Nah your team will realize that you’re the carry and play around you and then you’re unkillable only gotta get 2 6ks to make them realize :smiley:

nah, my experience showed me thats not a case a lot of times :smiley:

5 Likes

How did you make it past this? I’m not saying every game has a smurf, but the SR lost against them is so steep if you do get out there and try (the death ratio, the drastically lower heals, etc)… I was so close to Gold and I’ve been knocked back down to Bronze. (I’m still Silver technically, but my SR is sitting at Bronze range.) I feel very discouraged and hopeless. I don’t want to be considered worthless at this game, which is what everyone says bronze and silver are. I’ve never played an FPS before. I’d like to reach ‘average’, which I understand to be Gold.

Welcome to competitive Overwatch, hell, any competitive game ladder. Assuming these people are Masters, as am I on my alt, you can be assured they are getting trashed by 4.2K’s with Mercy girlfriends in half of their games. This is life at every elo except at 4.4K or higher.

My only advice, from someone who went from 1000SR to 3800, is that you just have to try your best in every game, even the unwinnable ones, have an unbreakable mental game, and look to improve every single aspect of your game. Nothing else will help you climb. There is nothing special. It is just getting good.

1 Like

As Mercy, a lot of your value comes out of “triage”, or knowing who to support and when, all while keeping yourself alive to provide it for your team. Take a step back from the direct fight and survey everything that is happening. It takes some practice, but try to be thinking of things like “What ults does each team have?”, “How will the enemy engage?”, “What do my teammates want to do and how can I help them with their game plan?” Always try to stay a step ahead of the enemy team and try to communicate your valuable information to your teammates, it can make a very big difference in low ranks where people are highly prone to tunnelvisioning.

The clearer of a picture of the game you have, the easier your job will be to swing team fights in your team’s favor. As Mercy your value is also proportional to your ability to stay alive and continue to provide support. If something would get you killed, don’t do it. If your Genji is neck-deep in the enemy and he needs help, he has to come to you, otherwise you’ll probably both be dead and the fight will be lost soonafter.

As for smurfs, there isn’t really anything that you can do except pity them. If they’ve decided the only way that they can have fun in the game is to rig the game and stomp on others, then they’ve already lost. Try not to let their mind games get to you, that’s what they want.

And as a final note, you may want to invest time in learning another support or two outside of Mercy. A lot of your value on Mercy is still directly proportional to the competency of your team. In the edge cases where your team is unreliable, you may find it necessary to play another support like Zenyatta or Ana, who have a stronger playmaking potential on their own.

3 Likes

This player is a bronze silver border rank player with a career high in gold. Basic tips seem appropriate.

Either way Its probably better to encourage more advanced tips rather than discourage someone from giving easier tips.

Some of the things that the original poster might already know another lurking reader might get value from if they are struggling with the same crap.

7 Likes

I’m not a supp main or even remotely good at mercy but I am in gold as supp.

I’d suggest with mercy taking a look at your mercy specific setting options and making tweaks to suit you. Toggling guardian, prioritizing beam target, and a few other mercy specific options maybe help improve your gameplay, may not.

Figure out how to super jump. I haven’t been able to get it down consistently yet but you can get some great mobility with that trick mastered.

This suggestion is one I need to practice as well. Sometimes you just godda switch. If you’re seeing that you’re having to pocket your tanks and dps isn’t getting any healing there’s probably a swap you can make to fix that. I do support playing into your soft counters to learn how to out play but if your team is hard countering you then there’s not much you can do :laughing:

Hope some of these can help

1 Like

I would say that wording could be taken the wrong way. Caduceus Staff has a max range of 15m, & will linger for 1.3s after you’ve either exited LoS or that range. Definitely don’t be afraid to dance around max effective range & natural cover, but also don’t wait for the beam breaking to re-engage it.

1 Like

I’m a masters dps/off tank so I got to plat with Ana by just going for kills. Mechanics allowed me to just win duels, flank, get more kills, fat anti’s, etc. After that I had to heal to win games but I made it to just under masters (3470 IIRC) before getting bored and going back to DPS.

But if you are dead set on maining Mercy, you need to stay alive and expand your hero pool. If you just can’t stay alive, Moira is a good option for self-peel. Shotcall your way to victory. Don’t attempt stupid rez’s. Don’t stand where you can take damage if you can help it. Learn movement that is hard to hit. Damage boost the carry on your team. Get kills with Valk when your team doesn’t need the healing.

2 Likes

Thanks, thats exactly what i mean. I think i wrote that you go away if it neqrly breaks. Sry for my bad english

2 Likes

It is a lot more sad to be proud of spawncamping players who are several ranks lower than you.

5 Likes

Incorrect… I’ll shut down any smurf with a competent second player willing to back me up.

Smurfs are only as good as the team surrounding them. You can easily put them in their place with cooperation.

Hanzo is not a hitscan. He is a projectile hero. Lol

3 Likes

I’m going to give you one big tip and ignore the other things I could say because a lot of the other people commenting already touched on it.

As mercy your job is to survive so you can support your team and you cant support anyone dead so…DONT STAND STILL…LIKE EVER. Constantly hop around and strafe and Guardian Angel to teammates. When you rez, spin 360 degrees with your head pointing to the ground to prevent a headshot…this goes along with…ALWAYS MOVE ALWAYS BE HARD TO HIT. THIS alone will help alot especially in lower tiers where people struggle with aim and tracking

1 Like

:neutral_face: A silver mercy wouldn’t know all of that, or they’d be at least plat. I have no idea of how their play style works from someone other than their own perspective, so wouldn’t it seem more sensible to give the basics? It’d be odd to give precise top 500 tips to someone who’s real play style is unknown.

It’s clear you don’t want to help, your just hellbent on telling everyone off who disagrees with your opinion about how they are a whiner, bad at the game and don’t belong on the forum. Try a nicer approach next time, because I can assure you telling someone things like that will do more harm than good.

1 Like

And acting high and mighty is just making you look even more foolish. Congrats, your a high rank! But that doesn’t mean you have to make fun of and antagonize lower ranks. Although, How can I blame them for not being able to climb? Whenever they ask for advice I bet they always have people like you responding.

2 Likes

One thing that has not been said. You can actually peel wins from a smurf by simply keeping tabs on them. It has to be a team effort with at least 1 other person who is on the same page though. Even a smurf can’t 1 vs 6. With two smurfs, it’s much harder because they are usually coordinating their attacks, but still doable.

Another thing you can do is call targets/enemy positions/cooldowns and coordinate flanks with your DPS. In general, you want to maintain very good communication with your tanks. I main Anna as support (in the same situation as you) and I am constantly talking to my tanks, specifically where I am at, and if they over extended.

If you are on a team where no one communicates, then it’s just a coinflip. You are either on the team that wins or on the team loses. Nothing else you do but play your best.

Refer to my comment above…

Step 1. Spend all your resources focusing a smurf
Step 2. Get rolled by the remaining 5 players on the team

There’s not a good way to counter smurfs.

1 Like